Here are photos we took from today's first -800 flight:

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
photos (continued)

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:15 am

Great photos. Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Southwest RapidRewards, IHG Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum
First 737-800 flight pictures

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
Great pics. Nice looking plane. Hope it makes it's way out west soon.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

I arrived in Chicago MDW Tuesday night in anticipation of the big event today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took a walk down to gate A17, and there it was--N8301.

This morning at 6AM, Southwest had free snacks and prizes in the gate area. They decorated and rolled out the red carpet for boarding, and gave each passenger a commemorative hat and first flight certificate suitable for framing. Many Southwest employees were on hand from Dallas includuding SWABrian and company employees representing blogsouthwest.com and Red Belly Radio. They made everyone feel welcome, including several first time Southwest flyers who randomly picked this flight without knownig this -800 series was anything different than the norm.

Once onboard, we were surprised how wide open the SKY Interior felt. Half of a front bulkhead is gone, giving a much better view of the front galley area. Headroom was much better--the new bin system makes a big difference. This is the first we saw the new Evolve seating. We were impressed at the seat material, flooring, contoured headrests. Even though these seats were thinner I could NOT feel anything but padding when I pushed back on the seat.

MDW Chief Captain Dutch and a copilot did a great job--very smooth takeoff and landing. Being that this was a full, heavy flight on a short runway, I wondered if they would need to throttle up the engines before takeoff roll, but they didn't need to and it seemed we used only an average portion of the runway before takeoff.

I swapped seats a few times to try out one of the TWO infinite legroom exit row seats (window), an aisle in row 5, and a middle in row 1.

At FLL we only had a few hours but it was time well spent. Upon landing we got a water salute from the fire department, and Southwest had a team cheering us into the gate as we deplaned.

The FLL Station manager allowed me to take photos from the tarmac. She also said they will be continuing filming for the upcoming TV series starting tomorrow--so expect to see the -800 on TV.

The only bittersweet part of the experience was seeing the beautiful -800 series aircraft push back for its return trip to MDW without us. The recently built -700 series that took us home a couple hours later is now my second choice. (Though with the Evolve seating upgrade happening at a rapid pace, the -700 series will look that much more like the newer fleet.) If I have a way of determining routing for the 800 series, I'll gladly add a connection to an otherwise nonstop route to be able to fly on the latest generation Southwest aircraft.

Other observations:
1 Front seats now have a fold up tray table at each seat (like what the one exit row seat has had for years)
2 Two lavs in the rear---one of which has a changing table (note: no changing table up front)
3 Similar to legacy airlines, drink carts obstruct pathways to the lavs. Knowing this ahead of time makes the front and back few rows more valuable.
4 FA's now have to do a weight and balance worksheet, based on three "Zones" front/middle/rear of the aircraft. If there is not a proportionate number of empty seats in each zone, the FAs will force passengers to be reseated. I was told this DID occur during the Ferry flight from DAL-MDW where only 60 or so passengers were onboard.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 12, 2012 at 1:17 pm
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Drink carts slowed down service and obstructed paths to the restrooms
Why are they using drink carts? Simply due to the longer length of the cabin?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: WN A-List
So is it only new 700/800's that are getting the SKY interior? I flew an AA 737 with that style interior and it was nice and airy feeling.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Gorgeous photos, thank you! I still can't wrap my head around the idea of WN with 738s though
Old Apr 11, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a gorgeous!! I like it lots! It's look so beautiful!! ^^^ I know which the aircraft number is N8301J.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:19 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Nice pics, but where's the tape measure for knee room? I mean: is mine bigger that yours or not?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by texashoser
Why are they using drink carts? Simply due to the longer length of the cabin?
Unlike WN's previous fleet configuration, the -800 galley configuration is completely different.

Whereas the existing 737-300/500/700s have a galley set-up which provides room and a "counter" for flight attendants to set up their trays and pour drinks, the -800 galley is a more traditional galley with no counter space to pour drinks and also no area for the required fourth flight attendant to work out of.

For those of you familiar with the standard WN back galley configuration, the aft galley of the -800 is completely different.

1. As I said, there is no counter space where two flight attendants can set up trays. The aft galley is now spread all across the aft all with no counter space.

2. There is no place for the required fourth flight attendant to work without the use of a cart.

3. The two lavatories in the back of the aircraft (yes... two lavatories!) are placed in FRONT of the galley unlike the current -300/500/700 configuration where there is a single lavatory in the very back of the aircraft. For those of you familiar with standard WN aircraft, there will no longer be a reason for Customers to stand in the galley area waiting for the lone lavatory. The new configuration is just like that of most other airlines - two lavs located ahead of the galley.

Lots of changes on this aircraft. Carts, lavatories ahead of the aft galley, larger overhead bins, the Boeing Sky interior, the FA call button placed far from the overhead reading light button (preventing all of those erroneous call buttons going off when the lights are turned off).... even the most frequent WN flyer may be surprised/impressed by the changes.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
Nice pics, but where's the tape measure for knee room? I mean: is mine bigger that yours or not?
I'll post the measurements to the Evolve thread. I think the best measurements would be without the knee--max seat "passenger volume" if you will. Most of the photos I took were the distance from the side-to-side underseat frame bars to the metal seat mount in front of it, but reviewing them it seems like they are flawed due to a new style of seat mount. Sigh. Back to counting bags of peanuts I guess.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:23 pm

Thanks flight, but I think those carts are going to slow things down and cause problems for folks trying to get to the lavs - just as they do on legacies...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I've been fortunate to pick up two AA 738s with the new Sky Interior on my DFW-SFO MRs. I was very impressed with it. The WN Interior looks great with the Sky Interior as well. The drink carts will certainly take some time to get used though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.