Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advantage to booking one-way legs over RT booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: southwest

I've seen folks discussing multi-city bookings vs. booking one-ways.
What's the advantage to booking the legs as one-ways rather than a conventional RT purchase?
I'm A-List Preferred, flying about 60 RTs/yr and haven't has any issues so far.
thx
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, UA 2P, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
I always do one ways opposed to round trips for the simplicity of it. If I need to make a change to the return trip, it seems simpler to me to just make the change to a full ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Multi-city bookings are a totally different issue than one-way or round trip. There is absolutely no reason to book round trips, unless there the unusual round trip promotion.

With one-ways you can: change, cancel, refare, skip either leg without affecting the other leg. You ask what the advantage is to one-way bookings. I would say why book a round trip? I simply never do roundtrips.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL, AA, FRONTIER , SW--A LISTED
i too do mostly one way bookings unless its an obvious rt that i do
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Reward changes are the main thing for me. I can flip one segment from cash to a points award. If I booked a roundtrip you have to cancel the whole thing just to change one part of it from cash to points or points to cash.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:33 am

Let's say I book AAA-BBB and the return trip BBB-AAA the next day as a round trip ticket. The AAA-BBB flight is canceled, and because of the short duration of the trip, it's just no longer worth it. Pretty sure, in that scenario, WN would issue a full refund.

Now, what if they're booked as separate trips. Would Southwest refund the BBB-AAA segment?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by t325
Let's say I book AAA-BBB and the return trip BBB-AAA the next day as a round trip ticket. The AAA-BBB flight is canceled, and because of the short duration of the trip, it's just no longer worth it. Pretty sure, in that scenario, WN would issue a full refund.

Now, what if they're booked as separate trips. Would Southwest refund the BBB-AAA segment?
Since every cancelled flight is available as a credit, the question is moot.

Unless you are not going to fly again within 12 months...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
What Tino said. However, I am also fairly confident that a call to customer service would get you a refund of BBB-AAA when they clearly saw you were doing a round trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.