Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Standard Awards expire 4/27/15 - any options to extend expiration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I have 2 Standard Awards which Expire 04/27/2015 and are Available for Reissue = No.

I called customer support and they said they couldn't extend the expiration date. Does anyone have experience doing so?

Any other options?

Thanks!

Last edited by nsx; Apr 17, 2015 at 6:34 pm Reason: TOS violation redacted
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:52 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They haven't tipped their hand on if they will allow extension of those awards. I suspect it's because the answer is no. I'd burn them before expiry if you could.

If you're willing to travel like a non-rev- they're pretty easy to use. That means you travel last-minute on low load days like Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday and on early AM or late PM flights. I would make a day-trip somewhere before I let them just expire unused.

Or gift/sell it to a friend or family member.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:14 pm

Wow, standard awards still exist? In the past, SWA do extend another year with $50 fee. Just keep trying if one agent said no.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:41 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
In any even, you can't extend them until after they actually expire. The "eligible to reissue" box will say "yes".
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the quick responses
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
If they say NO, then you are out of luck to extend. The last 2 years or so of SA's were issued that way. I've got a bunch expiring in Oct and are damn impossible for me to use out of ISP, even 2 days before takeoff...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
There's one other option, a long shot: You can call RR and politely inform them that you have had great difficulty finding standard award seats available. Ask if they can create a seat for you over some reasonably wide time and date window. It has happened before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.