Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New "improved" secret formula for A-List Boarding Pass ranking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "improved" secret formula for A-List Boarding Pass ranking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Justin026
Everyone used to talk here about how efficient the boarding system was, but the price of efficiency in the new boarding system -- and how it interacts with the new FF program -- seems to be this anxiety... about where to stand in a line.
I don't think it is anxiety. Most people here already know what tactics to use, depending on BP # and load. I think it has to do with the secrecy of the formula....we're curious: what is the exact algorithm and why is it a secret?

After all, other airlines* have no qualms about publishing upgrade lists, why is the BP assignment formula kept under wraps?

*and I no longer find WN to be that much better than other airlines. It no longer gets a pass for its annoying quirks.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
*and I no longer find WN to be ANY better than other airlines. It no longer gets a pass for its annoying quirks and makes me want to fly the others.
^ cept I had to fix your post a lil
Old Mar 31, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
4. All A-List Preferred members are assigned boarding numbers before A-List members get their numbers. An A-List Preferred member will always get a better number than all A-List members unless the reservation is made after the 36-hour deadline or something abnormal happens.
I dunno; either SNA-SJC-SNA is full of A+ Listers (entirely plausible), or the algorithm wasn't working during the middle of the month, 'cause I ended up with A-44 a couple of weeks ago.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:07 pm
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Well, I've finally seen it - A16 on a commuter flight tomorrow morning (OAK-BUR). Never, ever saw that under 1.0 (in fact, I don't think I've ever seen A16, even on a weekend/off-hours flight). The afternoon flight will be the true test - the afternoon flights are all at or near sellout tomorrow so I likely won't be the highest of the A+ers on it. [Edit to add A26 on that, which is a pretty low number for a Thursday sellout situation. I'm liking the new algorithm myself.]

Anytime fare, purchased yesterday morning for a Thursday flight - so the fare paid definitely seems to have an impact.

Last edited by KC; Apr 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm
Old Apr 6, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: UAPlat, WN A-List, HiltonGold, Marriott Gold
I've never been in the A group and not gotten a decent seat, either a window or aisle. Sure, I'd love to have that front bulkhead aisle or that exit row with no seat in front of it, but we don't always get what we want. After having to fly DL for four weeks in a row I am glad to back in the arms of SW.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Just a another data point. I rarely received higher than A20 on any of my normal routes. This week I pulled A38 on a PDX-OAK flight-Anytime fare booked less than a week prior.

I am assuming most of those ahead of me are A+listers.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
A16 on RR1.5 Award Ticket

Another data point - I got A16 Wednesday on a free ticket (895 PHX - MDW). There were only seven BS tickets, but the flight was completely full.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Fly roundtrip STL - PHL every other week. I am A+ status

THIS WEEK:
WGA Fare Each Way

STL-PHL A16 (usually get A18-A23 or so)
PHL-STL A17 (almost always get A22-A29 or so)

This was a significant improvement for me, especially considering there are many A and A+ flyers on this segment. I was surprised because I did purchase a WGA fare. Thewse flights are usually 90%-95% full, if not sold out each week. Lots of thru PAX.

A few pieces of background if this helps in trying to figure out how we are landing the boarding numbers that we are getting:

1. Bought the ticket at least 2 weeks out WGA fare $323.00 roundtrip.
2. I am A+ and fly every other week I (or more).
3. 17,999 points in my account since 3/1 includes some partner points and credit card points, but mostly points for flying.

Not sure how I landed such great boarding numbers.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: SWA Companion, Airtran A+, United Premier, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First
Reservation date/time based?

Seem to recall from a few experiments with colleagues, that the algorithm sorted based on date/time of reservation (inside of the same fare group - earlier is better).

Still, I'm definitely enjoying (as an A+/CP holder) A16-20 on a regular basis vs. A30-A45 prior.

Stuck with B46 2 weeks ago due to a same-day flight change, but that's an anomaly.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I also suspect, but I can not prove it, that they are not refilling canceled A and A+ except with late check in A and A+.
I am not sure this is correct.

Just today I traveled with a non A-list colleague who purchased a WGA fare early last week without EBCI. I would have expected him to be far behind me(A38 A list Anytime fare),but he actually had A 22.

Something is still amiss with this BP issuance at WN.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by OhHim
Seem to recall from a few experiments with colleagues, that the algorithm sorted based on date/time of reservation (inside of the same fare group - earlier is better).
I doubt that. I pulled A34 for today's flight. I was the VERY LAST A+ member. The person with A33 was A+, A35 was A-. I book my tickets very early, and I almost always fly the lowest fare EVER offered for the flight. My flight count of about 90 per year no longer carries any weight.

I believe that the BP ranking is by fare or fare class on that flight only, without regard to flight history. I pay the lowest fare, so I am consistently last in the A+ line where I used to be first or second. Oh well.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
I doubt that. I pulled A34 for today's flight. I was the VERY LAST A+ member. The person with A33 was A+, A35 was A-. I book my tickets very early, and I almost always fly the lowest fare EVER offered for the flight. My flight count of about 90 per year no longer carries any weight.

I believe that the BP ranking is by fare or fare class on that flight only, without regard to flight history. I pay the lowest fare, so I am consistently last in the A+ line where I used to be first or second. Oh well.
I would agree.. My WN travel has been dropping but, like you, always book WGA well in advance. Just pulled in two weeks in a row on a PHL-MHT at A29 and A28 respectively. I was typically an A18-A22 almost always. Likewise my most recent Sunday MHT-PHL which had a total of about 55-60 passengers and only 2 BS on it placed me A21 (not that this matters but I highly doubt there were more then 6 or 7 A or A+ members so I prob was one of the very last A-listers to board the flight).

Seems pretty clear the fare is holding significant weight.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by jkburns1
I would agree.. My WN travel has been dropping but, like you, always book WGA well in advance. Just pulled in two weeks in a row on a PHL-MHT at A29 and A28 respectively. I was typically an A18-A22 almost always. Likewise my most recent Sunday MHT-PHL which had a total of about 55-60 passengers and only 2 BS on it placed me A21 (not that this matters but I highly doubt there were more then 6 or 7 A or A+ members so I prob was one of the very last A-listers to board the flight).

Seems pretty clear the fare is holding significant weight.
So maybe WN should have said in their advertising, brochures and press releases the following:

Any RR member that flies 50+ segments a calendar year will be granted A-List Preferred status which entitles you to early boarding priviledges that will be tied to fare paid. The more you pay - the lower your boarding number. Enjoy!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by boeing727
So maybe WN should have said in their advertising, brochures and press releases the following:

Any RR member that flies 50+ segments a calendar year will be granted A-List Preferred status which entitles you to early boarding priviledges that will be tied to fare paid. The more you pay - the lower your boarding number. Enjoy!
really doesn't matter a whole lot to me... My flights w/ WN are dropping some due to biz changes unrelated. And as stated I've adjusted some to my luv for the new RR 2.0 the best way I know how, by booking with a legacy more often. Once my CP expires will probably just stop using WN altogether. No harm no foul, life goes on and better to be A28 then C4.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jkburns1
really doesn't matter a whole lot to me... My flights w/ WN are dropping some due to biz changes unrelated. And as stated I've adjusted some to my luv for the new RR 2.0 the best way I know how, by booking with a legacy more often. Once my CP expires will probably just stop using WN altogether. No harm no foul, life goes on and better to be A28 then C4.
It makes little difference to me also,but it would be nice if WN would make an effort to be a bit more transparent and acknowledge that their system is often unfriendly to some of their best customers. Between the BP issuance problems and the fact that they allow line jumpers,all the while professing to upsell to a "premium" boarding position, in my opinion they have lost credibility.

I will probably not earn a CP after next year,as I now book WN as a last resort and only on routes I have little or no choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.