Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

earning a companion pass: all points are not qualifying points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

earning a companion pass: all points are not qualifying points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:20 pm

Programs: hyatt
i wish the website can be more clear about what counts and what doesn't, maybe examples
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:20 pm

Companion Pass Qualifying Points vs. Non-Qualifying Points

Right now I am beyond confused to what does and doesn't qualify for CP...

SWA Purchases - Obviously

Credit Card Points per $ - Probably?
Credit Card Bonus Points - Probably?
Southwest Partner Credit - Probably?

Southwest Partner Bonus - Possibly?

When I read the T&Cs, it makes it seem like very little would count but when I read anecdotes here I think that a lot more does.

Is there anywhere that lists this out? Sorry if there already is.

Quick Example, Hyatt and Southwest...
For 5 Stays, 1800 Points (600 regular plus 1200 Bonus) each plus 10000 Bonus Points after completing the 5th. Does 3k count for CP (600 x5)? Or does 9k count (1800 x5)? Or does all 19k count?

I received the 50k CC offer and I am going to do the 19k at Hyatt, wondering if I should put some stays elsewhere to try and get to CP for this year.

It also seems from Anecdotes that this year and years in the future might have different criteria as well.

I would like to compile this info here...
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Here is how I understand it from looking at my own Southwest credit history.

SWA Purchases - Kind of, only the base fare is eligible, no A-List or A+ bonuses count

Credit Card Points per $ - Yes
Credit Card Bonus Points - Yes
Southwest Partner Credit - Yes
Southwest Partner Bonus - No

Using the current Hyatt promo as an example, you will earn 3k points (600*5)towards a companion pass. The bonus 1200 points per stay and 10k after 5 will not count towards CP status.

So far, credit card bonuses and all credit points for that matter have counted towards my CP status.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: SWA RR CP, UA 1K, IHG Platinmum, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
You can find a companion pass status in your online account. Also if you go to points detail and choose Companion Pass Points in the drop down menu it will list the points going towards your companion pass.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:52 pm

So if I have 70k CP qual points and i sign up for a credit card. Any points will go towards the CP qualifier?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:02 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by ftnoob
I think it is safe to assume that all Chase points, which seem to only transfer as a single number, will all always be CPQP. Chase signup bonus points and anniversary bonus points all appear to be CPQP...
Old Jun 26, 2011, 3:53 pm

It just seems weird that transfers would count and not bonuses...
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:24 am

Is this a recent update?

"Tier qualifying points are earned from revenue flights during the qualifying year or through select Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase and are exclusive of bonuses or promotions. Revenue flights flown in 2011 before March 1st earned Rapid Rewards credits along with Tier Qualifying Points"
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Are WN Visa signup bonus points CP-qualifying?

Under 2.0, are the bonus points for the WN Visa Companion-Pass-qualifying?

Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

So far nobody has reported otherwise. My wife received CPQP for her 38,400 points in March, but those were from delayed first use of the card received during last year's targeted 32 credit offer.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftnoob
So far nobody has reported otherwise. My wife received CPQP for her 38,400 points in March, but those were from delayed first use of the card received during last year's targeted 32 credit offer.
Thanks. I was wondering about the new cards (especially Premier) under 2.0. Have not, to my knowledge, seen 100% verification from anyone.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
100k with two cards

Applied for and was approved for the business and personal cards, each with a 50k bonus. Presumably, that will put me up to 100k of 110k points for Companion Pass. What are the quickest/easiest ways to get that additional 10k to get a CP ASAP?

1. Charge 10k on a SWA card would be one (coins..?)

What other options would I have? Any transfers still open (SPG/Amex seem to be discontinued).

Also, if my wife does the same thing and qualifies for a companion pass, can I buy a ticket, use a companion pass for her and she uses a companion pass on our daughter? Is it possible to use two companion passes at once in this way?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayzee9
Applied for and was approved for the business and personal cards, each with a 50k bonus. Presumably, that will put me up to 100k of 110k points for Companion Pass. What are the quickest/easiest ways to get that additional 10k to get a CP ASAP?

1. Charge 10k on a SWA card would be one (coins..?)

What other options would I have? Any transfers still open (SPG/Amex seem to be discontinued).

Also, if my wife does the same thing and qualifies for a companion pass, can I buy a ticket, use a companion pass for her and she uses a companion pass on our daughter? Is it possible to use two companion passes at once in this way?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Transfers from Choice definitely work (hindukid verified that his father got a CP solely from Choice point transfer). Not sure about others like Marriott. Would love to know about all of them. No more SPG transfers; that lasted about 7 weeks.

No, you can't simultaneously on a single flight be a Companion of someone and have a Companion of your own along. ("An individual may not travel as both a Member and a Companion on the same flight, except in Customer of Size instances.") But if you and your wife both earn CPs, she can be your Companion if just the two of you fly, and she can have your daughter as her Companion on other flights without reference to you.

Might want to wait on getting your wife's 100K for Jan 2013. Then you will have 1.5 years of a CP yourself and she will have almost 2 years of a CP, w/o overlap. Presumably more valuable for your family that way. This assumes the CC deal will be available then of course.

Charging $5K on WN partners would get you the 10K points. Gift cards should work.

Would appreciate it if you could confirm 100% when your points arrive that they are indeed CP-qualifying. It has been believed here that they are, but I don't recall absolute confirmation.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 15, 2011 at 11:30 am
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ok, if I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like certain partner bonuses will count towards CP but not all. This is a huge surprise for me, as I remember all bonus credits from 1.0 did count towards a CP.

Here's my question...does anyone know if the 600 bonus points from the Q3 HHonors promo count as CPQP's? I just completed my first stay yesterday but obviously haven't seen the points post yet.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deemus7
Here's my question...does anyone know if the 600 bonus points from the Q3 HHonors promo count as CPQP's? I just completed my first stay yesterday but obviously haven't seen the points post yet.

Thanks!
All indications are that the first 600 always count as CPQPs on hotels and rental cars. Once you see the points post in your WN account, please verify for us.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.