Quaker Steak & Lube coming to Greenville SC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold

The Lube, a midwestern wing joint that's won numerous awards, will soon be opening in Greenville. This thread isn't to get into the "who has the best wings" argument again....just a "coming soon" announcement for the many transplanted western PA/northeast OH natives in the area. The most recent info I heard was that they're targetting an early October opening.

Atomic wing fans, take note....and they also have a fantastic new offering called their chipotle wing that has a dry rub instead of a sauce. Not quite so messy and really pretty good.

Last edited by bankingconsultant; Sep 9, 2008 at 8:48 am Reason: fat-fingered the link....no wonder nobody knew what I was talking about
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
wow I thought this must be a sit down oil change shop with Quaker State oil and a steak dinner for $49 or something...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
wow I thought this must be a sit down oil change shop with Quaker State oil and a steak dinner for $49 or something...
That was what I thought, too!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Me three. Not a bad business plan if you think about it...
Old Sep 3, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by notsosmart
I can see it now, Quaker Steak and Lube
Jiffy Steak and Express Lube!

Mieneke Break and Steak!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Sorry for the confusion....the name comes from the fact that the original restaurant in Sharon, PA was a service station/garage that had closed and was reopened as a restaurant with the 1930's era car still up on the lift. Although they're now known for their wings and for their motorcycle/muscle car decor, I think the lore says that at one point they were more of a steak place than a wing place.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 1:51 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
You're getting (usually) good wings. I've had some reports from folks with some scattered bad experiences, but I've not had any problems in the ones that I've gone.

Instead of their fries, I usually opt for their Lube Chips, which they serve with a side of cheese sauce, spiked with Guinness.

Once thing to be aware of... being automobile themed, they cater to the NASCAR people. The GSP area is in the heart of that part of the country.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Me four. Now I've got my restaurant model ironed out. $49 for an oil change and a steak should be about right.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
They also sell their wing sauce by the bottle.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bankingconsultant
Here is the correct link
The Lube

Old Sep 9, 2008, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by john398
Here is the correct link
The Lube

Many thanks....I've gone back and edited the original post. No wonder nobody knew what I was talking about!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Several weeks ago had occasion to eat at the Quaker Steak and Lube in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Just happened that they were having a large motorcycle rally at the restaurant that evening, so was a busy place. Had one of their hamburgers, which was nothing special, not enough to warrant a return visit. Maybe the ribs and wing plate, which seemed abit pricey, is a better choice.

Last edited by ColoBill1; Sep 13, 2008 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I occasionally eat at QSL. The Wings are the only thing on the menu that is really worth getting. Everything else is just mediocre food (Hamburgers, Onion Rings, etc.). Some will probably disagree with me on the Onion Rings. They usually have a very good beer selection and full bar. Bottom line, they are a good Beer and Wings joint. If that is what you're expecting, you will be satisfied.

Lately, I have been going to Buffalo Wild Wings more than QSL for beer and wings. Not sure why, maybe just convenience, QSL is much further away from my house. On the road for business, my primary client is near BW3 but no QSL in the area. In any case both of them are decent Wing joints. Occasionally you can hit a bad night at either one (at least I have). YMMV….

--Jon
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:59 am

I definitely don't think I would consider Sharon, PA the midwest, but that's irrelevant. Anyway, I moved to Greenville from Pittsburgh about 6.5 years, and as my wife will tell you, I nearly drove off the road when I saw the "coming soon" sign.

Anyway, I like the wings at QSL, although they're not the best I've ever had. Then again, I've always been a fan of the full wing, which are impossible to find anywhere but certain places in western PA and central PA (at least in my findings). Honestly, I don't think I've had anything but their wings, magna fries, and o-rings.

All I have to say is Louisiana Lickers and Magna Fries, and I won't even have to make my 1,120 mile roundtrip drive to Pittsburgh every year. I still will, but my priorities will change from Steelers game, Primanti Bros., and Quaker Steak. (Yuengling dropped from the list when it was introduced in Greenville)

Also, for further clarification, I was told QSL in Greenville will open during "early November, if all goes as planned". Quoted from the Manager of Franchise Administration at corporate.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:48 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Me four. Now I've got my restaurant model ironed out. $49 for an oil change and a steak should be about right.
They actually tried this in Scottsdale about 10-12 years ago. The mechanics are still there but the restaurant changed hands some time back. You actually went into the restaurant to pay your repair bills. The repair shop is creatively named "Car Repair Company". I forget what the name of the restaurant was but it had a checkered-flag motif and didn't look like much to write home about.

Went to Quaker Steak and Lube in CLT area--the food was good and I was really impressed when they brought my check and they gave me a warmed wet wipe and some Twizzlers. It was a very unique touch. The upset stomach I got a few hours later was less special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.