Search

What is a "Florida Casual" dress code?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes, I do miss Maas Brothers

Originally Posted by tigerpaw580
I would like to add that not everyone dresses down in Florida. As an almost 50 yr Floridian , I'd like to dispelthemyth that all of Florida dresses in tshirts and cutoffs.Accepted is golf shirts or polos and dress pants/khakis or nice jeans.Evening out might allow wearing of "Tommy Bahama"style shirts or Polo camp shirts in places, but yes, people still wear decent clothes. Even my grandfather,a Floridian since 1925, wore suits daily until his death although light colored and mostly linen of course. You will find people who dress properly will be wearing a combination of the above, whether "bahama"style shirts and khakis or neat jeans.Maas Brothers was our store for years until ruined by Dillard's buyers.Orlando is a peculiar place due to the tourists but still you'll find people wearing something, not just tshirts and shorts and flipflops.
My late mother-in-law was 'old Florida' as well. She always dressed nicely unless she was gardening. She loved shopping at Maas Brothers. The one in Clearwater had a fantastic view of the bay. Where else?
Old May 16, 2007, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
It means you should put your sunglasses on immediately after saying any dry one-liners (ala David Caruso).
"Looks like he was dressed for the occassion... to die."
Old May 16, 2007, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
Remembering Maas Bros?

OldPenny 16, nice to hear someone else remembers Maas Bros.The old downtown Clearwater store was sold to the Church of Scientology, the old St. Petersburg main store is now the Florida International Museum.That was the big store excepting the downtown Tampa one long gone.Dillard's just has their generic clothing, not bad but not to the area market.Jordan Marsh of Boston and Palm Beach was affiliated for some years also.And we did have Burdines' until recently (The Florida Store) but now it's gone also.But we do have a Neiman Marcus in Tampa!And of course Macy's.........to replace all the others now.
My grandfather was a doctor and felt as then most did, that he had to wear a suit even in July, now my doctor wears earrings,'Tommy Bahamas" and shorts!!!!That would shock him for sure.........but as long as he diagnoses my problems okay I sure don't care!!!You will meet all kinds here but I'm glad frankly I can wear a polo or golf shirt to an event, would hate to have to wear a suit.I admit to still owning a off white linen Palm Beach suit though...
Old May 17, 2007, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Brushed aluminum walking aid instead of a polished chrome one...
I prefer nickel
Old May 19, 2007, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by tigerpaw580
OldPenny 16, nice to hear someone else remembers Maas Bros.The old downtown Clearwater store was sold to the Church of Scientology, the old St. Petersburg main store is now the Florida International Museum.That was the big store excepting the downtown Tampa one long gone.Dillard's just has their generic clothing, not bad but not to the area market.Jordan Marsh of Boston and Palm Beach was affiliated for some years also.And we did have Burdines' until recently (The Florida Store) but now it's gone also.But we do have a Neiman Marcus in Tampa!And of course Macy's.........to replace all the others now.
My grandfather was a doctor and felt as then most did, that he had to wear a suit even in July, now my doctor wears earrings,'Tommy Bahamas" and shorts!!!!That would shock him for sure.........but as long as he diagnoses my problems okay I sure don't care!!!You will meet all kinds here but I'm glad frankly I can wear a polo or golf shirt to an event, would hate to have to wear a suit.I admit to still owning a off white linen Palm Beach suit though...
Well, I'm not surprised that the old Maas Bros. was bought by the Scientology bunch. For a brief time there was an attempt to have it be a home for many small shops. That flopped. By the time my late mother-in-law died you really had to know where to look to find the old Clearwater. Too much traffic and chain stores and fast food places! She used to say that you could tell the residents from the tourists because the residents didn't wear white shoes after Labor Day. Now it's all flip flops!

How is the Bellaire Biltmore Hotel?
Old May 21, 2007, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA,CO, DL,FL,WN.US
Sorry to say it was to be sold to be replaced by yes, condos, just what Pinellas needs, more condos.It was stopped and now a group of developers says they will restore it but it hasn't happened yet..........All of downtown has been bought by Scientology, and Sand Key has been overbuilt.........like most of the area.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:59 am

Better late than never

my wife and I was recently invited to a Florida casual Dinner and I googled it all these years later and no idea what it is well now I know and figured I'd share

Florida casual is akin to business casual. Khakis/slacks with polos and oxfords are always a good choice for men - coat and tie is not required.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Wife beater, baggies and flip-flops it is, then.
Certainly exactly what I picture when hearing "Florida Casual."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.