Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Like to know more about South Florida (besides Miami)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Been to Miami/Miami Beach several times. Looking to learn more from people who know Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, West Palm Beach, Naples, and Boca Raton. Would like to get a better feel for these areas. I'm sure some of them a worth going to more than other. Thanks for any comparison/contrast as you rank them or explain why you believe one is better than the other.

Hope to hear from you all that there is more to South Florida than South Beach
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Are you interested in the Keys?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Naples/Marco Island with its Gulf beaches is a very different experience from the South Beach Atlantic beach experience.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
If you are going to visit, I enjoy the Ft Lauderdale Beach area. Particularly the area between 17th street up to Sunrise. I grew up in Miami, and never really visited that area. Now it is where I like to stay when I go back to South Florida. Lots of big hotels and smaller hotel courts in the North Beach area. It is a diverse area with visitors from all over. It is not quite the party scene as South Beach. The beach is across the street from the hotels and there is a great beachfront walkway. Lots of fun restaurants. The last time I stayed there I did not rent car. I avoided the high parking fees at the hotels. I walked a lot. If we wanted to go somewhere further to eat, its easy to catch a cab or an uber. Its not too crazy like South Beach, but it is also not too isolated or sedate or suburban like Boca or Boynton or Delray. You have everything from the Ritz Carlton to gay guesthouses, to mid century modern motel courts. It is my favorite place to visit in S. Fla when I just want to chill by the pool, eat some good food, and walk around.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
And just to add one more comment about Ft Lauderdale Beach. You can land at FLL catch a cab/uber/car service and get to your hotel room in less than an hour.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
It is not quite the party scene as South Beach.
Indeed. For most of the year, Fort Lauderdale Beach is much more laid back than South Beach. The exception would be right now. We're in the height of Spring Break season. Last week, I got to witness a drunk college student hurl on the sidewalk at two in the afternoon.

Originally Posted by fay637
Been to Miami/Miami Beach several times. Looking to learn more from people who know Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood, West Palm Beach, Naples, and Boca Raton. Would like to get a better feel for these areas. I'm sure some of them a worth going to more than other. Thanks for any comparison/contrast as you rank them or explain why you believe one is better than the other.
I can really only comment on Fort Lauderdale. I live close to the beach and walk/run over there 1-2 times each week. While the arrival of 5-star hotels like The Atlantic and Ritz-Carlton have changed the area, you'll still find a lot of low-key motels, restaurants, and bars. For the most part, you won't feel out of place in shorts and a decent shirt...even in the nicer places.

As bitterproffit writes, Fort Lauderdale Beach is very close to FLL. It's also close to Downtown Fort Lauderdale, which has some nice restaurants, nighttime entertainment, performing arts center, and art museum. Part of the beach are always within walking distance of the Galleria Mall.

I'm also a fan of Hugh Taylor Birch State Park. The park is across the street from the beach at Sunrise Blvd. For $2/person, you can get completely away from traffic and (most) noise among the tropical flora and fauna.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...h-Taylor-Birch
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldspan
Naples/Marco Island with its Gulf beaches is a very different experience from the South Beach Atlantic beach experience.
Couldn't agree more. At our place on Marco enjoying the lovely weather and fantastic beach. West coast far more my scene than east coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.