Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in MIA between different airlines on two tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Connecting in MIA between different airlines on two tickets

Would you give me the advice to buy for the ticket, from MIA to CUN with AA?
(Different airlines & tickets).

My first flight will arrive in G terminal by Frontier at AM10:40(Domestic). As I think to use AA, the next flight will depart from D terminal at 12:24 (1 hour 46min)or 15:25(4 hour 45min). Which flight is recommended as the next flight?

# Different airlines(Frontier->AA) in MIA, on separate tickets, Domestic-International connecting.

I need to claim and check in baggage in MIA as Frontier and AA is not a partner. Is that right? Is it possible to check in AA without go out and get the security clearance through again? or I should do that again for the next flight?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kitwithbell; Jan 11, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Hi Kitwithbell, and welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by kitwithbell
My first flight will arrive in G terminal by Frontier at AM10:40(Domestic). As I think to use AA, the next flight will depart from D terminal at 12:24 (1 hour 46min)or 15:25(4 hour 45min). Which flight is recommended as the next flight?
Based on the lines I see every day (I work for AA at MIA), I'd suggest you go with the five hour connection. It is not uncommon for both security and check in lines at Concourse D to stretch the length of the ticketing hall.

I need to claim and check in baggage in MIA as Frontier and AA is not a partner. Is that right? Is it possible to check in AA without go out and get the security clearance through again? or I should do that again for the next flight?
Yes, you will need to recheck your baggage as to my knowledge we do not have an interline baggage agreement with F9. You'll claim your luggage at Concourse G, then head to Concourse D Check in and re-check your bag with AA then you'll have to reclear security as Concourse G is not linked on the secure side with D/E, which are AA's areas.

-LPDAL
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Please understand that you are not connecting at MIA as you are on two separate tickets. That is very important. Not only does F9 not have an interline agreement with AA, meaning that you must collect your bag from F9 and then drag it over to AA and check it there, but if your F9 flight is late and you miss your AA flight, your AA flight will be cancelled and you will need to purchase a new AA ticket and use whatever value your old AA ticket retained.

The solid advice is to take the 5-hour transfer time even if it means that you have too much time. If you do arrive in plenty of time for the earlier flight, there may be space and for a smallish fee, may be able to change to the earlier flight.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
MIA is my home airport, take the long connection particularly if you do not have Pre Check.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Thanks for your replies. I'd better go with the five hour connection.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
MIA is my home airport, take the long connection particularly if you do not have Pre Check.
This.

-LPDAL
Old Jan 16, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
This is the best as if you check Flight Aware, you will see F9 arrives late more often than on-time in Miami. This will give you extra time when this happens to your flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.