Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA Airport Tri-Rail Station

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

MIA Airport Tri-Rail Station

Just came across an announcement that the long awaited station is finally about to open as part of the Miami Intermodal Center (MIC). It will connect to the airport by the MIA Mover. I'm not clear if the shuttles between MIA and the Hialeah Tri-Rail station will then be phased out.

I've never used Tri-Rail to the MIA airport yet, but might have a chance to give it a try in a couple of months. If anyone gets to use this new airport station sooner, please share your experiences. Thanks!

Last edited by MaxVO; Apr 2, 2015 at 12:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Just came across an announcement that the long awaited station is finally about to open as part of the Miami Intermodal Center (MIC). It will connect to the airport by the MIA Mover. I'm not clear if the shuttles between MIA and the Hialeah Tri-Rail statioin will then be phased out.

I've never used Tri-Rail to the MIA airport yet, but might have a chance to give it a try in a couple of months. If anyone gets to use this new airport station sooner, please share your experiences. Thanks!
Thank God. This stage was supposed to be completed in 2012. With the Tri Rail going to the Metro Station the bus will no longer will be needed. IIRC you will walk upstairs and take the people mover (although the walk can be a real hike). The Tri Rail is very easy to use. Parking is free at stations. Trains tend not to be crowded except at commuting times. However, no wifi on the trains.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Thank God. This stage was supposed to be completed in 2012. With the Tri Rail going to the Metro Station the bus will no longer will be needed. IIRC you will walk upstairs and take the people mover (although the walk can be a real hike). The Tri Rail is very easy to use. Parking is free at stations. Trains tend not to be crowded except at commuting times. However, no wifi on the trains.
I'm cautiously optimistic, and hope it works as intended.
I understand that parking at Tri-Rail stations is indeed free, but limited to 24 hours (at least at the FLL station). If there are stations where the time limit is not imposed (or enforced), I'd love to find out which ones.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:51 pm

I understand that parking at Tri-Rail stations is indeed free, but limited to 24 hours (at least at the FLL station). If there are stations where the time limit is not imposed (or enforced), I'd love to find out which ones.
I think the FLL station is the only one with the 24 hour limit. The parking page on the Tri-Rail website:

http://www.tri-rail.com/rider-inform...g-information/

Personally, I'm not sure that free parking at a (non-FLL) Tri-Rail station is worth the risk. The main defect of Tri-Rail is that it runs adjacent to I-95. That means that stations are not in the best areas.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:33 am
Suspended

The police do patrol the lots particularly at night. I have parked at a number of the lots with no problem. In fact, a couple years ago I parked I think at the Boca station and mistakenly left my back window completely open. However, I would strongly suggest removing any items for the interior of your car and do not leave valuables in the trunk.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Personally, I'm not sure that free parking at a (non-FLL) Tri-Rail station is worth the risk. The main defect of Tri-Rail is that it runs adjacent to I-95. That means that stations are not in the best areas.
I see your point. I also feel that many remote (paid) parking lots around the MIA have the same issues, and I hesitate leaving my car there for an extended trip.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

The police do patrol the lots particularly at night. I have parked at a number of the lots with no problem. In fact, a couple years ago I parked I think at the Boca station and mistakenly left my back window completely open. However, I would strongly suggest removing any items for the interior of your car and do not leave valuables in the trunk.
That's encouraging. What was the longest time you left your car parked at a station without moving?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:50 pm
Suspended

That's encouraging. What was the longest time you left your car parked at a station without moving?
Three days.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:27 pm

Different people will have different risk tolerance. I've had my car broken into, although not in an airport parking location. So, I'm pretty gun shy.

Of course, I'm also just a $15 cab ride from FLL. If I lived further away, the prospect of free parking for trips would likely seem more appealing.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

The MIA Airport Tri Rail station is now open. Its quite nice as commuter train stations go. You follow signs to the Miami People Mover on the 3rd floor and then veer right once you get off the tram (rental car center is to the left).
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The MIA Airport Tri Rail station is now open. Its quite nice as commuter train stations go. You follow signs to the Miami People Mover on the 3rd floor and then veer right once you get off the tram (rental car center is to the left).
Is the track/boarding area protected from the elements, or is it exposed to rain, etc?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I haven't checked out this ride yet, but see some good images posted by Miami Herald:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e17452403.html
The station appears to be open-air with roofs over platforms/boarding area.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:39 pm
Suspended

I haven't checked out this ride yet, but see some good images posted by Miami Herald:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e17452403.html
The station appears to be open-air with roofs over platforms/boarding area.
It is open air but protected. One could wait upstairs in the air condition (although can't remember if I saw any seating).
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:19 pm
Suspended

great news, what a PITA it was to use the bus to Tri and then wait forever till the train came. Many times FLL has alot cheaper rates on cars so I Tri'ed it to FLL from MIA. Or waited in the heat for the bus to show up

The Mover goes every few mins although its a hike, it was a hike to the bus as well
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
Many times FLL has alot cheaper rates on cars so I Tri'ed it to FLL from MIA.
Renting at FLL would make it much easier to avoid tolls. Also if you're taking TriRail, you'll have better access to off-airport locations. Enterprise could even pick you up from a train station, if it's within 3-5 miles from the rental office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.