Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone used The Club at RDU?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Has anyone used The Club at RDU?

Has anyone been here? It's a pay per use lounge in Terminal 1 (the old Terminal A) that moved into what was the US Airways Club. I considered trying it when I was really early for a WN flight this year and they were running a $29.99 special. Still, a windowless lounge doesn't much appeal to me. If you have used it, what do you think?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 11:53 am

I was in it one of the last days it was a US club, and it was as you described: Small, windowless, and moderately depressing, albeit clean. Now that all flights have moved over to T2, I haven't had the chance to visit, although I am eagerly awaiting the new US club, should it ever open.

$29.99? No way would I fork that over.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:34 pm

I have been in it a couple of times free with my Priority Pass. The staff is nice but nobody in it and not much atmosphere. I wouldn't pay to get in but good for free wi-fi, refreshments and TV.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:25 am

I have the misfortune of flying WN RDU-BWI next Friday (Mental note: Never, ever let wife book flights...), so I'll give it a whirl. I imagine it will be utterly dead, as WN folks aren't known for their love of lounges or bizarre perks like assigned seating...
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brendog
I have the misfortune of flying WN RDU-BWI next Friday (Mental note: Never, ever let wife book flights...), so I'll give it a whirl. I imagine it will be utterly dead, as WN folks aren't known for their love of lounges or bizarre perks like assigned seating...
My condolences. I flew this flight on a free trip to Austin this year and at leas tit's short. They do a full beverage service on it too which UA somehow can't pull off on their RDU-IAD flights. Just an FYI, the passageway from the Parking Garage to Terminal 1 is currently closed. You have to go to Level 2 and walk outside to get there.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
My condolences. I flew this flight on a free trip to Austin this year and at leas tit's short. They do a full beverage service on it too which UA somehow can't pull off on their RDU-IAD flights. Just an FYI, the passageway from the Parking Garage to Terminal 1 is currently closed. You have to go to Level 2 and walk outside to get there.
Thanks for the head's up. I'll make sure I wear cut-offs and a Nascar shirt to blend with the WN locals. Until recently, I thought they had torn that ancient terminal down.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brendog
Thanks for the head's up. I'll make sure I wear cut-offs and a Nascar shirt to blend with the WN locals. Until recently, I thought they had torn that ancient terminal down.
Sadly, they have not, and it's even worse now than it was before. They've stripped all the seats out of the old US gates so everyone is crowded into the WN gates at the end. The only perk is, if you show up at an off time (like I did Monday at 2:25 PM) you can be the only person at the security checkpoint.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Say Hey Kid
I have been in it a couple of times free with my Priority Pass. The staff is nice but nobody in it and not much atmosphere. I wouldn't pay to get in but good for free wi-fi, refreshments and TV.
I was there recently. I asked who owned it and the employees said that a staffing company that staffs a lot of United Clubs sort of owns it and also priorty pass markets it (and also claims to own it, but doesnt act like it), and that RDU airport was the actual owner.

They said no one else was around to run the lounge when the airport was looking for help so they just decided to let these companies stick their name on it; maybe a lounge developer can come in and take over and maybe add some real food and a nice ambiance instead of something so dreary?

They didnt put any care into the renovation; it actually looks like it there was no renovation at all and was an old-style US Airways Club one day and then this the next day?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
They said no one else was around to run the lounge when the airport was looking for help so they just decided to let these companies stick their name on it; maybe a lounge developer can come in and take over and maybe add some real food and a nice ambiance instead of something so dreary?
There's not much you can do to make it not-dreary though. You can't add windows or skylights and the ceilings are going to be low no matter what. About the only thing I can think of would be to add some track lighting and maybe new furniture. But it's still going to be a windowless rectangle of a room.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by CMK10
There's not much you can do to make it not-dreary though. You can't add windows or skylights and the ceilings are going to be low no matter what. About the only thing I can think of would be to add some track lighting and maybe new furniture. But it's still going to be a windowless rectangle of a room.
Yes, that's true; it's just very old-style US Airways right now. I suppose I was a bit harsh.

I realize that this is not the most ringing endorsement; but I do like the fact that it exists.

Last edited by DrivingRain; Nov 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Went through flying WN for an early PHL flight the other week. I was unimpressed, and was the only person in there. The attendant seemed upset when I didn't give her a tip, and was surprised when I didn't want an alcoholic beverage at 10:30 in the morning.

That being said, its way better than lounging at the WN boarding area. I was able to take a meeting no problem. I agree it could use a renovation, but honestly I can't imagine "The Club" will have any thought or effort to renovations until they finish the T1 renovation and get more than just WN in there.

Priority Pass makes it worth it for me, but unless I wanted to get my drink on before a flight, or had an extended delay - I wouldn't spend 30 bucks.

I know RDU was running a promotion recently when you signed up for their platepass they gave a free day pass. I don't know if its still running...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.