Search

Best place to view shuttle launch

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool Best place to view shuttle launch

I plan to be in Cocoa Beach for the Nov 1 shuttle launch, but despite watching missed the chance to get causeway or KSC tickets. What is the best place to watch the launch from that doesn't require tickets? Anyone know of a good way to find causeway tickets, etc? I know the area reasonably well, but I've never been there for the traffic associated with a launch, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Here is a good starting point:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...le-launch.html

Here is another one that has some useful general info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flori...delayed-2.html
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks djk, I do already have a hotel on the beach in Cocoa Beach, so can see it from there, but looking for the best vantage point by asking for locals advice. Is Titusville better?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
This thread may be of some help http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...tle-launch.cfm
Old Oct 19, 2010, 8:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orlando Vic
Thanks Vic, an especially good link in your reference is http://www.launchphotography.com/Shu...h_Viewing.html
which really summarizes things nicely. I appreciate it!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:57 am

Interest is very high for the last 2 - STS 133-Discovery/STS134-Endeavour - shuttle launches. I would be prepared for heavy traffic (larger than past launches) if you decide to drive closer than your cocoa beach hotel. Also be ready for a possible scrub or delay in the launch (could be a couple of minutes to a couple of months). The part of the launch that can be seen with the naked eye (no-telephoto/zoom lens) is 2 - 5 mins. Take these concerns into account on your trip.
In my view, it is well worth the time and effort to view a shuttle launch. I have had the priviledge of watching 2 (nighttime from Nasa Causeway, and daytime from the KSC visitor center) and the misfortune of going to 3 launches that were scrubed or delayed. I had a wonderful time when I visited the area and I too will try to catch one of the last 2. BTW, there could also be a one more launch in the summer, STS-135-Atlantis. A friend, I once took to a launch, summed up the experience this way -

"Wow....this is where humans come to leave earth...a true spaceport"

Good luck and I hope you get to experience the launch.

Here is one more site with info:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/...w_shuttle.html

Last edited by CokeandTaco; Oct 31, 2010 at 8:19 pm
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I was able to get a causeway ticket via Grayline tours for a very reasonable price, so am pretty happy with that. Hopefully the launch will get off during the November window, as I'll be there for the whole week.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 1:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Heading out in the morning, have two days to gorge on seafood till the delayed launch on Wednesday. Can't wait....
Old Oct 31, 2010, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Heading out in the morning, have two days to gorge on seafood till the delayed launch on Wednesday. Can't wait....
The delay is no fun. Hang in there. The launch will be worth it, and I am excited for you. Please keep us updated.

Go Baby Go! : 11/3/10 3:52 PM (Eastern)
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
The delay is no fun. Hang in there. The launch will be worth it, and I am excited for you. Please keep us updated.

Go Baby Go! : 11/3/10 3:52 PM (Eastern)
The delay is probably all for the best as it gives me a couple days to relax prior. As long as it doesn't get bumped again.... I'm here till the launch window closes anyway.

Anyway, I like visiting Florida - great beaches, great food, nice people. Will try to get a good picture or two for everyone.

Sitting in Orlando waiting for my rental car to be washed, then out to the coast.

Doc
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:08 am

What will traffic be like to Merritt Island?

We have an invite from NASA to watch the launch, and the pick point is on Merritt Island. Any idea how busy the causeway bridge from Cocoa will be the morning of the launch?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Cool

Originally Posted by cbastian
We have an invite from NASA to watch the launch, and the pick point is on Merritt Island. Any idea how busy the causeway bridge from Cocoa will be the morning of the launch?
I just talked to a young techie type at Radio Shack in Cocoa Beach, and he says on launch days, airshow days, etc., like yesterday, it takes him 45 minutes to go three blocks in CB.

My bus to KSC and the causeway is picking me up in Titusville at 6:30 am, earlier than previously planned. And this is for the 4pm launch.

From these indicators, I'd guess that the earlier you get there the better, by quite a large margin.

Maybe I'll see ya at KSC.... In any case, have fun.

Doc
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I fly out from MCO on Weds at 7pm - does anyone know the best place to view it if, as I think I will be, I will be at Orlando airport at launch time?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I fly out from MCO on Weds at 7pm - does anyone know the best place to view it if, as I think I will be, I will be at Orlando airport at launch time?
Launch time is now set at 3:52 PM and the weather forecast (at MCO) is warm (88F) with a 20% chance of rain. I would guess that a good, unobstructed place at the airport to see the launch would be at the East end of the departures level (outside). Look to the SE. It's also helpful if you have a small, portable radio to give you an idea of possible delays. I don't think there will be any TVs at or near the ticket counters on the departures level. Alternatively, you could also go to the very top level of the parking structure directly across from the main terminal building and look SE.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:15 pm

Shuttle Launch Rescheduled

Update: Shuttle launch rescheduled for Thursday afternoon. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2866431.story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.