Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime gold, Marriott Plat.

We will be first timers in New Orleans in dec. and I have searched this board looking for restaurant suggestions. What I have found is really out of date by several years so I am wondering if anyone has some recent info on the restaurants that can't be missed. One of us is a non seafood diner but we all love well spiced foods. We are mainly a one glass of wine diners. We will be at the JW so any restaurants nearby would be great. Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:06 am

Since you are staying in the CBD, I'll limit it to the FQ, CBD, & Warehouse District.

Upscale
MiLa - CBD
Iris - FQ
Stella - FQ
Bayona - FQ
Galatoire's - FQ
Emeril's - WD
Cuvee - CBD
Rambla - CBD
Restaurant August - CBD

Less Expensive
Cochon - WD
Butcher (Donald Link's new place around the corner from Cochon)
Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar - WD
Gordon Biersch - CBD
Mother's - CBD
Johnny's Po-Boys - FQ
Serio's Po-Boys - CBD

These are just off the top of my head and some of my preferences. There are a lot more to choose from that are almost as good, or equally good. Believe me, you won't go hungry or lack choices. I'll let some others chime in now.

Also refer to:

http://www.nomenu.com/open/RestaurantsOpen.html#CBD

Edited to add: If you're going to other parts of the city, i.e., Lower Garden District, the Garden District, Uptown, etc., let me know and I can help with those, also.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Nov 2, 2009 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar - WD
Ah, Lucy's!!! Good memories!

My wife and I also enjoyed Lüke in the CBD.

Gordon Biersch?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by iapetus

Gordon Biersch?
Yeah, I know. Chain brewery tied in with Harrah's. But, in a pinch, it's fairly decent for lunch in that neck of the woods. Also, prices are reasonable. I'd take it over a bunch of other places in the CBD.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 7:39 pm

If you've never been to a Popeye's Fried Chicken restaurant you really ought to try it (fast food). If you ride the St Charles streetcar all the way to its end you are very near Camellia Grill which has good burgers and omlettes (diner). You are also near Brigtsen's which is expensive and always delicious http://www.brigtsens.com/

I have celebrated several birthdays with lunch (and 25 cent martinis) at Commander's Palace, and I will go back again and again. http://www.commanderspalace.com/

About thirty restaurants will be offering prix fixe Revillion Dinners in December. http://www.neworleansonline.com/christmas/
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
John Besh's (Luke, Restaurant August) new Italian place, Domenica, in the Roosevelt Hotel.

Popeye's is chain all over the south. Personally, I would not waste my time going there in N.O.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by suthurn
If you ride the St Charles streetcar all the way to its end you are very near Camellia Grill....[/url]
/[/url]
If you are going to Camellia Grill, do not ride the St. Charles streetcar "all the way to it's end". If you do, you will have passed Camellia by a little over a mile (if you are riding from the direction of downtown). The streetcar terminates at the intersection of S. Claiborne Ave. and S. Carrollton Ave.

You want to get off the streetcar as it makes the bend from St. Charles Ave. onto S. Carrollton Ave. Get off immediately at this stop and Camellia Grill is directly across the street. You are now in the area known as Riverbend.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Bon Ton Cafe in the CBD has always been on my short list, especially for a multi night visit.

http://www.thebontoncafe.com/
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: AAPlat, Delta Gold, HH Gold, Amex,Marriott, CO
I was in N.O. twice this past year-
Camellia Grill
August
Cochon
Galatoire's
Bayona
Luke
Old Nov 4, 2009, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
You want to get off the streetcar as it makes the bend from St. Charles Ave. onto S. Carrollton Ave. Get off immediately at this stop and Camellia Grill is directly across the street. You are now in the area known as Riverbend.
If you're going this far from the CBD, you're not too far from Jacques-imo's Cafe!
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:28 am
arc

Programs: AA ExPt 1MM, SPG Au
Upscale
Galatoire's - FQ

Less Expensive
Mother's - CBD
I would second both of these. Seriously. I get to go to New Orleans occasionally on appointed cases before the Fifth Circuit (the usual hotel is close to the edge of the Quarter), and these two are *always* on my list of restaurants to eat at before leaving town.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
All the restaurants named are good. I particularly enjoy Commanders Palace. However, if you don't mind a little louder environment, Bourbon House in the 100 block of Bourbon Street has excellent food. Start off with the alligator sauce piquant (spicy soup) and finish the meal with a bourbon milkshake (exactly what it sounds like). You won't be disappointed.

Of course if you want to stick with a chain, I believe the JW has a Shula's steakhouse.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 6:29 am
arc

Programs: AA ExPt 1MM, SPG Au
Originally Posted by controller1
I particularly enjoy Commanders Palace.
Especially if you like bread pudding. Not that it's bad at my other favourite places (Mother's, Galatoire's), but the Commanders Palace recipe is fantastic. I was terribly disappointed when our local post-Katrina New Orleans-style Cajun/Creole restaurant that had the CP-recipe bread pudding closed down without warning .......
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
its been over a year since i have been :-( However, i would highly recommend the following:

The joint great bbq! go for lunch.

Lil Dizzy's cafe for lunch. I dream about this place on occasion.

Palace Cafe i always have a great meal here.

Port of call - for the one of the best burgers you will ever have

Dante's Kitchen i have heard amazing things about. I havent been yet. But will be visiting soon.

Last edited by njxbean; Nov 15, 2009 at 8:37 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by njxbean
its been over a year since i have been :-( However, i would highly recommend the following:

Dante's Kitchen i have heard amazing things about. I havent been yet. But will be visiting soon.
I lived around the corner from this place 15-20 years ago, and went there frequently with family and friends. I'm sure it's changed hands since then, but man was it outstanding in 1990. They did an especially nice grillades and grits for Sunday brunch, as I recall.

Last edited by jg70124; Nov 16, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.