Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for visiting Iguazu falls from my recent trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
sure have appreciated everyone's comments/tips^

Anyone been recently to the falls ?

How was the flow ? Is the flow dependent upon the time of year ?

--
I was there the day after your post. The falls were incredible. Gran Adventure ($40 US) was definitely a highlight. Staying at the Sheraton helped maximize my time there and the staff was exceptional. It was a great trip.

P.S. I also visited the Brazilian side and had a valid visa already. Despite what others had written about being "waved through" if traveling by cab, I did not experience that at all. It took 40+ minutes to cross the border. It was a little rainy, so I don't think it was even a busy day.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:55 am

ciudade del este

hi all,
im going to foz in april..
im wondering if anyone has been to ciudade del este? do they check your passport? is it worth it to go?
much appreciated
s
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:17 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Is there a best season to travel to the Iguazu falls ?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by szg
Is there a best season to travel to the Iguazu falls ?
Google or re read the thread, sorry even though you are high poster.

Depending on your trip, you can often ask how the falls are, before you leave.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:39 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asuka
Google or re read the thread, sorry even though you are high poster.

Depending on your trip, you can often ask how the falls are, before you leave.
Thanks for the answer, asuka !!

After a completly google search I have one question left.

Is it better to go to the Brazil or the Argentina side for the views ?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by szg
Thanks for the answer, asuka !!

After a completly google search I have one question left.

Both sides are fantastic views. The Argentine park had a more developed infrastructure so you can get much closer to the falls. If you can only visit one side then do the Argentine side.

As for the question on Ciudade del Este not the best of places to visit. Some friends decided to visit and were cleared through but then detained a bit later for not having their "papers in order" and "fined" $100 each, and that was after holding them for several hours. Not a nice experience. The police there are somewhat known for corruption due to this being a major smuggling point. So my recommendation, give it a pass.
Sam
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:42 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samftla
Both sides are fantastic views. The Argentine park had a more developed infrastructure so you can get much closer to the falls. If you can only visit one side then do the Argentine side.

As for the question on Ciudade del Este not the best of places to visit. Some friends decided to visit and were cleared through but then detained a bit later for not having their "papers in order" and "fined" $100 each, and that was after holding them for several hours. Not a nice experience. The police there are somewhat known for corruption due to this being a major smuggling point. So my recommendation, give it a pass.
Sam
Thanks !!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
You are welcome but a bit of serious news, an outbreak of Yellow Fever has been reported across the border in Paraguay. No cases have been reported on the Argentine side yet but to be safe anyone considering a visit should think seriously about getting their shots.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
Originally Posted by szg
Thanks for the answer, asuka !

Anyone who goes to Iguacu should visit both the Argentine and Brazilian sides of the falls -- they are both spectacular but completely different.

From the Brazilian side visitors can see a complete panoramic view of the falls.

On the Argentine side vistors can go very close to the top of some of the falls and watch the water pour down.

Both sides of the falls offer magnificent views.

Last edited by Hayvenhurst; Feb 27, 2008 at 4:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hayvenhurst
Anyone who goes to Iguacu should visit both the Argentine and Brazilian sides of the falls -- they are both spectacular but completly different.
You should make time for both sides is possible. Otherwise, as much as I love Brazil, the Argentina side of the falls is more spectacular in my opinion.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Two or three nights?

From reading all these posts (and other threads), I think I understand that while the falls can be done in one night, two is even better. My question is whether three nights is "too many." We'd be flying into the Brazil side around 2:30 PM, and then flying out of the Argentina side around 2 PM two days later (staying at the Sheraton on the Argentina side). Given that we want to see both sides, as well as the fact that we'll have our luggage with us when we arrive, would it be worth it come in a day early (same arrival time and airport)? Given that an extra night in Iguazu means one night less somewhere else on our trip, is three nights excessive? Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by shas12
hi all,
im going to foz in april..
im wondering if anyone has been to ciudade del este? do they check your passport? is it worth it to go?
much appreciated
s
I was there recently, and no, Paraguay doesn't check passports. I had to actively search for someone to validate my entry.

The Brazilians, however, check when you come back, and absent a Paraguay exit stamp I could see them giving you a bit of trouble.

I would highly recommend Ciudade del Este, but then again I like strange and unusual places.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by jgold
From reading all these posts (and other threads), I think I understand that while the falls can be done in one night, two is even better. My question is whether three nights is "too many." We'd be flying into the Brazil side around 2:30 PM, and then flying out of the Argentina side around 2 PM two days later (staying at the Sheraton on the Argentina side). Given that we want to see both sides, as well as the fact that we'll have our luggage with us when we arrive, would it be worth it come in a day early (same arrival time and airport)? Given that an extra night in Iguazu means one night less somewhere else on our trip, is three nights excessive? Thanks.
I got the 1st flight in (9-10am) and the last flight out (6pm), along with a 4pm checkout. I only stayed 1 night, but went directly from the airport to the Brazilian park for several hours. You said you have luggage. Although I only had a backpack, people seem to feel it's OK to leave it with the driver while you're in the park. I came back to check-in at the Sheraton and went on a boat ride in the late afternoon. Later there was time for touring around, dinner, and relaxing. I spent all of the next day walking the different circuits in Argentina.

If you have the 2pm flight home, then 1 night is too short.

2 nights is enough. However if you stay 3 nights, you'll have time to visit more in Brazil, such as the zoo, the dam, or a helicopter tour (not available in Argentina). Also, I luckily didn't run into any delays. With a longer stay it will be easier for you deal with problems like a delayed flight.

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 8, 2008 at 2:28 pm
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold née Platinum; AA Plat.
Originally Posted by rrgg
I got the 1st flight in (9-10am) and the last flight out (6pm), along with a 4pm checkout. I only stayed 1 night, but went directly from the airport to the Brazilian park for several hours. You said you have luggage. Although I only had a backpack, people seem to feel it's OK to leave it with the driver while you're in the park. I came back to check-in at the Sheraton and went on a boat ride in the late afternoon. Later there was time for touring around, dinner, and relaxing. I spent all of the next day walking the different circuits in Argentina.

If you have the 2pm flight home, then 1 night is too short.

2 nights is enough. However if you stay 3 nights, you'll have time to visit more in Brazil, such as the zoo, the dam, or a helicopter tour (not available in Argentina). Also, I luckily didn't run into any delays. With a longer stay it will be easier for you deal with problems like a delayed flight.

That's very helpful, thank you. Our 2 PM flight out will be on LAN, and our connection in EZE isn't until 11:30 PM or so, so even with the ground transfer from AEP-EZE, it's a pretty easy connection. I'd love to stay in Iguazu until 5 PM and take the Areolineas flight instead, but I keep hearing horror stories about them, so I guess I'll stick with the earlier LAN flight. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:24 pm

My late flight was on LAN. (It's wasn't in the schedule at first, but seemed to get added around last Nov. I flew in Feb.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.