Wiki Posts
Search

Visa for Bolivia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Visa for Bolivia

Just curious if anyone has entered Bolivia recently via El Alto airport and was able to obtain a Visa at the airport for $160. Read many things on Tripadvisor so far about it being an option, instead of having to send off my passport ahead of time to get one prior to my trip later this year.

Any experiences please share, thanks in advance.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
really? no one?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:01 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

There is conflicting information about a Bolivian tourist visa for a US citizen. Is there a $160 fee or not?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I see what you mean.

According to the Bolivian Embassy in Washington DC, the answer is "no." VISAS (boliviawdc.org) The United States is listed as a group 1 country for which a tourist visa is not required for stays less than 30 days. After 30 days one must apply for an extension and there might be a fee for that.

However, to your point, the US Dept of State embassy in Bolivia has conflicting info on its webpage: Information on Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements - U.S. Embassy in Bolivia (usembassy.gov)

While some posters here are pretty knowledgeable, for your own protection it is best to not rely on info from an internet chat-board - the best thing you should do is contact directly a Bolivian embassy or consulate:
1718 Connecticut Ave
Washington D.C., 20009
Tel: (202) 232-4827 / 4828
Fax: (202) 232-8017
Lunes a Viernes: 9:00am - 3:00pm

If you do need a visa, this is where to start: Tourist visa (boliviawdc.org)

Last edited by Section 107; Oct 28, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Oct 29, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Section 107
I see what you mean.

According to the Bolivian Embassy in Washington DC, the answer is "no." VISAS (boliviawdc.org) The United States is listed as a group 1 country for which a tourist visa is not required for stays less than 30 days. After 30 days one must apply for an extension and there might be a fee for that.

However, to your point, the US Dept of State embassy in Bolivia has conflicting info on its webpage: Information on Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements - U.S. Embassy in Bolivia (usembassy.gov)

While some posters here are pretty knowledgeable, for your own protection it is best to not rely on info from an internet chat-board - the best thing you should do is contact directly a Bolivian embassy or consulate:
1718 Connecticut Ave
Washington D.C., 20009
Tel: (202) 232-4827 / 4828
Fax: (202) 232-8017
Lunes a Viernes: 9:00am - 3:00pm

If you do need a visa, this is where to start: Tourist visa (boliviawdc.org)
Timatic?
Old Dec 9, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: Lots
I received a visa on arrival a few weeks ago at VVI with a US passport and yes there was a $160 fee. Make sure bills are in very good shape and probably bring some extra. I’ve always heard that warning about some places but this was the only time I’ve really seen it enforced.really I had three or four $20 bills returned to me because they had tears of about 2mm.

You’ll also need a copy of your hotel reservation as well as flight leaving Bolivia. It’s a relatively straight forward process though and it is a 10 year multi entry visa.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107
So based on this it appears that if you request a Visa on Arrival at the airport it is $160 for a US Passport and you receive a 10-year Multiple Entry — but if you mail your US passport into the consulate or embassy there is no fee (for what I presume is "Single Entry") since the Multiple says it costs $200.00?

Last edited by gq_dq; Jan 8, 2023 at 1:39 pm
Old Jan 9, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
It looks like the $200 multiple entry visa is just for travelers who purpose for travel is investment/business and the free visa is for tourists. I believe the best way to get an accurate answer is to directly contact a Bolivian consulate/embassy.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:38 pm

BTW they don't take cash. When I arrived last month at LPB they only took plastic. I was apprehensive they may try to put it through as a Cash Advance like they do at Rarotonga (Cook) but they put it through as regular Credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.