Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using credit cards in Puerto Natales and Punta Arenas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Using credit cards in Puerto Natales and Punta Arenas

We will be going to Puerto Natales and Punta Arenas and thinking of how much CLP we will need on hand. Do most restaurants/stores accept credit cards in Puerto Natales and Punta Arenas?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Most shops in Chile accept cards, although it's a good idea to have cash on hand just in case.

My general rule is to take a couple of hundred USD with me in case of emergency but to use ATMs to withdraw local currency. Unlike in many other Latin American countries (e.g., Argentina, Brazil), Chile's ATMs almost always accept foreign cards without difficulties, so you shouldn't have trouble getting pesos when you need them.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We used our ATM cards with no issue in Valparaiso and Santiago. We ate at a couple of very mom and pop roadside restaurants out in the Maipo Valley that only took cash. But they were very inexpensive. Maybe 2 bucks for lunch per person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.