Wiki Posts
Search

Uruguay itinerary questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, american, alaska
Uruguay itinerary questions

I'm spending a couple of days in Uruguay on the way to Buenos Aires in November and have 2 questions.

1) Is it worth taking a day tour to Punte del Este (vs. doing it by public transit)? It looks like sites are spread out enough that a tour might actually make some sort of sense. (I am not really interested in renting a car to do it myself.)

2) I'd like to sightsee in Colonia on the way from Montevideo to B.A. How feasible is it to do this as a partial day trip? Are the buses / ferries frequent enough to not be too restrictive? Is there reliable left luggage at the bus station? Alternatively, I could stay overnight in Colonia and take an early morning bus to B.A. the next day, I suppose.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Can't speak to Punta as I've never been and have no particular interest in going.

Colonia is pretty, but honestly you can see everything you want to see in two hours tops. I spent a night there a few years ago and was pretty bored
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Can't speak to Punta as I've never been and have no particular interest in going.
Ditto.

As for Colonia you'll have plenty of time to see it before catching the ferry to BA. The historical part is small. No idea if you can leave luggage at the bus station or at the ferry terminal I'm afraid. Ferry schedule can be found here.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Punta del Este is very spread out and while the coach station is in the town centre, attractions such as La Barra or Solanas (and especially José Ignacio) will require you taking a taxi (public transport is infrequent). A guided tour may be the best option provided it goes all the way to those places. If the tour only takes you to the Península then I would just take the COT or Copsa and walk around town.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mhnadel
I'm spending a couple of days in Uruguay on the way to Buenos Aires in November and have 2 questions.

1) Is it worth taking a day tour to Punte del Este (vs. doing it by public transit)? It looks like sites are spread out enough that a tour might actually make some sort of sense. (I am not really interested in renting a car to do it myself.)

2) I'd like to sightsee in Colonia on the way from Montevideo to B.A. How feasible is it to do this as a partial day trip? Are the buses / ferries frequent enough to not be too restrictive? Is there reliable left luggage at the bus station? Alternatively, I could stay overnight in Colonia and take an early morning bus to B.A. the next day, I suppose.
If you travel by Seacat (my personal choice) or Buquebus. They have a bus option that will pik you up in Punta del Este take you to Colonia then the hydrofoil to BsAs. I use it all the time and wlll do it in a few weeks as well Just need to create the Bus stop option when purchasing. I use Tres Cruces which is the MVD Capital Bus station and it about $50-$60 USD RT all in if you book on the Uruguay Site.. There are several options. Google the names and Seacat is way less and uses the same buses and with certain sailing the same hydro as Buquebus.. Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.