Search

Immediate Turnaround in BAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:19 pm
Formerly richh1833
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Immediate Turnaround in BAQ

First time in BAQ and Colombia so I don't know what I should expect. With a 1:30h turnaround time would it be possible to do an immediate turnaround at BAQ and how is the procedure for it? the route is MIA-BAQ-MIA
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by richh1833
First time in BAQ and Colombia so I don't know what I should expect. With a 1:30h turnaround time would it be possible to do an immediate turnaround at BAQ and how is the procedure for it? the route is MIA-BAQ-MIA
Now, I have never been to BAQ, so take this for what it is worth:

It is a small airport, so you should be able to turn around fairly quickly. However, you need to know that you have to go through immigration, get the resident exit tax exemption form, and check in again. If you do not, the airline will be required to collect the tax from you before they allow you to board.

If you are flying on American airlines, then you are almost certainly flying back on the same plane. That could be an advantage, as it takes a certain amount of time to turn the plane around. The disadvantage of course, is that there is only one flight per day. They might be willing to reroute you via LAN through Bogotá.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:59 am
Formerly richh1833
Original Poster

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by coolcoil
Now, I have never been to BAQ, so take this for what it is worth:

It is a small airport, so you should be able to turn around fairly quickly. However, you need to know that you have to go through immigration, get the resident exit tax exemption form, and check in again. If you do not, the airline will be required to collect the tax from you before they allow you to board.

If you are flying on American airlines, then you are almost certainly flying back on the same plane. That could be an advantage, as it takes a certain amount of time to turn the plane around. The disadvantage of course, is that there is only one flight per day. They might be willing to reroute you via LAN through Bogotá.
Cheers. So the only reason to pass immigration is to get the tax exemption. If I was to fork out $38 for the peace of mind then it shouldn't be an issue I assume? I'm just concerned about the lack of information about the layout of BAQ. Do you know by any chance incoming PAX must past through immigration/customs?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by richh1833
Cheers. So the only reason to pass immigration is to get the tax exemption. If I was to fork out $38 for the peace of mind then it shouldn't be an issue I assume? I'm just concerned about the lack of information about the layout of BAQ. Do you know by any chance incoming PAX must past through immigration/customs?
Again, I have no direct knowledge. However, I would expect that you are forced to go through immigration and customs. I know you are at MDE, and that is a larger airport. BOG is probably the only airport in Columbia that has international transition and does not force you to go through customs. But, somebody else on this thread might have better information. You also may want to ask on the South Avianca forum.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Amex Plat, UA and Delta Silver, SPG Gold
Never flown through BAQ, but my experience flying through CTG, CLO, MDE and BOG, you always have to go through immigration and customs. If you have your return ticket then you don't need to the exit tax form, if you need to re-check/get ticket in then they will make you get the tax exempt stamp in your passport/get the paper.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I assume you're on the AA flight I took advantage of too ? I'm going SEA-MIA-BAQ, but I'm staying there.

Never been to BAQ either but it is small and immigration won't be super fast, but nor should it be very busy. You will likely be forced through immigration unless you can (in Spanish) explain to the gate agent what's going on. At Medellin they do funnel you through, now POTENTIALLY the way their gates are setup you could just hang out in the gate and get back on, but they'd want to talk to you first for sure. I would really make sure you've explained yourself to someone before trying anything and even then you may have to go through immigration.

You're probably best off just doing the immigration, pick a seat near the front of the aircraft just to make sure you don't end up in a long line. The exempt stamp should be really quick to get as well which I believe you'll need, but they won't have a huge line in all likelihood. Obviously I'd make sure as well that you're already checked in for the next flight, if you have to print a BP on a kiosk that would probably be ok, but you don't wanna miss the check-in cutoff.

I'm going in early Sept, when are you heading there? If I can get any info or layout I'm happy to post here if you're going after me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.