Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to SA with 2 passports?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Travel to SA with 2 passports?

I am dual citizen of US and CR (EU). Will travel to Bolivia, where US citizen has to pay $135 for visa while EU has free visa.

Based on my readings when checking in the US for the flight with destination Bolivia, I will show the airline my EU passport. (and when checking in Bolivia onto US headed flight I will present the airline with my US passport).

So here’s the catch, that I can not solve on my own When I used to have a green card, the airline always wanted to know how I will get back to the US, so upon the check in to travel OUT of the US, I had to show them the green card (and of course I had to show the green card upon boarding the US headed plane).

If I leave US on my EU passport and the airline asks me how do I plan to return back to the US, what do I do? Tell them I have two passports ?
Thank you.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Boleslav
I am dual citizen of US and CR (EU). Will travel to Bolivia, where US citizen has to pay $135 for visa while EU has free visa.

Based on my readings when checking in the US for the flight with destination Bolivia, I will show the airline my EU passport. (and when checking in Bolivia onto US headed flight I will present the airline with my US passport).

So here’s the catch, that I can not solve on my own When I used to have a green card, the airline always wanted to know how I will get back to the US, so upon the check in to travel OUT of the US, I had to show them the green card (and of course I had to show the green card upon boarding the US headed plane).

If I leave US on my EU passport and the airline asks me how do I plan to return back to the US, what do I do? Tell them I have two passports ?
Thank you.
This is not an uncommon type of question on travel forums.Many people have two passports with different visa requirements.
You board your flight to leave the US on your US passport.
When/if the airline personnel ask about lack of a visa for Bolivia, you show them your EU passport and say you will use it to enter Bolivia.
For the return, use your EU passport to board and the US passport to enter the US and for any connected paperwork to fill out on board the aircraft that is for entry.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
I went to Brazil and Argentina, and am in the same situation as you (German citizen, though... still EU obviously).

I had no problems at all. At ORD, I showed my US passport. They saw I didn't have a visa, and asked if I had any other passports. I showed them my German passport, they thanked me (without any inappropriate comments or stares), and I put it away until arrival in Brazil.

Upon arrival in Brazil, I showed my German passport, and no questions were asked.

Going back to the US, I showed my German passport when leaving Argentina and had no problems.

When arriving in the US, I showed my US passport. Again, no questions asked.

I was nervous about this just like you are, but people do this every day and many (if any) people do not encounter problems, provided you show the right passport at the correct time.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 14, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Vida - I am not sure that I agree with your statement:
"For the return, use your EU passport to board and the US passport to enter the US and for any connected paperwork to fill out on board the aircraft that is for entry. "

I think that I should board with my US passport, as the airline has to ensure that I have either visa, green card or am a citizen to enter US.

Etoile - thank you, we just got the US passports, so all this dual thing is very new to me and yes, I am nervous not to make a mistake
Old May 14, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boleslav
Vida - I am not sure that I agree with your statement:
"For the return, use your EU passport to board and the US passport to enter the US and for any connected paperwork to fill out on board the aircraft that is for entry. "

I think that I should board with my US passport, as the airline has to ensure that I have either visa, green card or am a citizen to enter US.

Etoile - thank you, we just got the US passports, so all this dual thing is very new to me and yes, I am nervous not to make a mistake
I don't think you can "make a mistake" as long as you have valid passports from both US and EU to show.
Brazilians, for example, even those with US citizenship and passport, have to enter and leave Brazil on a Brazilian passport. (Passport control on exit from Brazil understands this, where you seem to think Bolivian passport control may not. Etoile's post about his exit from Argentina also confirms my thinking though.) I think you must exit the country, in this case Bolivia, with the same passport you entered on. But the passenger is also required to show the US passport to confirm to the airline (that is responsible for returning you to your point of departure at their own expense if you cannot enter the US), not exiting passenger passport control of Bolivia, that they can legally enter the US (and don't need a visa).

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 14, 2015 at 1:22 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

this is as clear as mud
I think that I am starting to understand it

Last edited by Boleslav; May 14, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old May 15, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You basically have to remember three things:

1. You enter and leave a country on the same passport.

2. The passport you use to enter a country at the end of a flight does not have to be the same one that you used to leave a different country at the start of that flight.

3. Airline people know this.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:02 pm

My friend did this with a HKSAR passport to avoid visa fees for Brasil and Argentina flying out of the US (also has US passport). There were no big problems, some stares and extra ?s though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.