Cartagena and beaches lodging help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cartagena and beaches lodging help needed

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Cool Cartagena and beaches lodging help needed

Will be spending 8 nights in the general area and would greatly appreciate recommendations for lodging in Cartagena old city (4 nights +/-) and one of the beach/national park lodgings 3 nights (+/-). Does not need to be budget level at all, but always interested in good value. Uber level OK also as long as it is worth the extra money.

In Cartagena itself have considered the following:

Casa El Carretero
Casablanca B and B
Hotel Casa San Augustin
Hotel Santa Clara

For the beach areas, have looked at a few which all get mixed reviews and seem more than a little funky. Would be willing to spend more money there for clean, beautiful and with good food.

Any leads appreciated!

Last edited by mstraveler; May 4, 2015 at 9:42 pm Reason: edited for clairty
Old May 6, 2015, 8:16 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Casa San Agustín is a nice hotel. By Hotel Santa Clara do you mean Hotel Sofitel Legend Santa Clara or Hotel Boutique Bóvedas de Santa Clara?

The former (Sofitel) is big, impersonal but very nicely appointed. Personally I don't think it captures the essence of Cartagena, it could be on a Spanish Costa. Bóvedas is next door, it is more cute, has a proper ocean view, but has really crap management and terrible wifi.

If you really want to splurge then hands down the best hotel in Cartagena is Hotel Quadrifolio. Hotel Bastión is a great hotel and more economical than the Quadrifolio. It's colonial, has character, has a pool on the roof and is run by GHL which is an excellent Colombian hotel management company. Another option is the Swedish owned Hotel Alfiz. Very small boutique hotel with lots of history and character. Hotel Delirio also gets great reviews.

No decent beaches around Cartagena and the resorts and hotels on the Rosario Islands are singularly disappointing. You would have to go 5 hours along the coast towards Tayrona.

Tayrona itself is expensive and extremely boring, you'd want to be staying in the ecohabs and you cannot swim in Cañaveral Bay. Check out options nearby such as Hotel Aité in Palomino or Finca Barlovento, more bang for your $$, more things walkable, more activities like tubing down the Rio Buritaca and fewer backpackers wandering around wondering why they went there.

Happy travels
Old May 6, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Mucho gracias JohnnyColumbia. Yes, the hotel Santa Clara and the Bovedas were both the hotels that we looked at - and amazingly, they are possible "trades" for our Four Seasons time that we own. But not holding my breath for such a specific week and Thanksgiving week on top of that.

Your comments about the Rosario area beach options are completely in line with what I have managed to learn, but was hoping there might be an better insider scoop on. Very grateful for all suggestions and will look into them further in more detail
Old May 23, 2015, 7:37 am

Cartagena

My wife and I spent 3 nights this week at the Hotel Quadrifolio--it was fantastic--the best in Cartagena. The walled city was great and safe--excellent restaurants like Carmen and Montmartre. The beaches did not impress us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.