Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help planning 6-8 month Colombia-based trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Help planning 6-8 month Colombia-based trip

Next September I'll be flying into Colombia, most likely Medellin, and spending about 6 months in South America. I worked out most of the flight stuff and award booking, but I'm trying to put together an itenerary.

A little about me and what I want to do:

-I want to spend the first month settled somewhere to get my bearings and take spanish classes, perhaps living with a local resident or family or working/volunteering -- just something to meet people and work on my spanish.

-After that I'd like to travel around a bit, most likely around Colombia and in 1-2 other countires (Argentina for sure) and then come back to Colombia for 3-6 months and rent an apartment.

-I'm a lot more interested in outdoors stuff than museums and other historical markers, or really touristy stuff in general

-I like the sun so I'll probably just visit Bogota briefly and spend more time in Medellin and on the coast, although nothing's certain.

-Nightlife is pretty important, restaurants not so much.

-Cheaper is definitely better. I've got the fligths covered with points, but I mostly want to do budget travel. I'll probably have 5-6k to spend.

-------------------

So that's generally it. My questions are:

1) Given those preferrences how should I spend my time in Colombia, and which other countries might be best to visit?

2) What would be some must-see/must-go places for me?

3) For the first month or so, what are your thoughts on volunteering vs just living with a family vs working vs renting an apartment for a month myself?

And of course, anything else I should know

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I always recommend this site for visitors to Medellin. It would be a particularly good one for you, as it is oriented toward those who are visiting long-term on a budget. Their articles will point you to a lot of resources.

http://medellinliving.com/

Here is a site for a company that provides Spanish lesson in Medellin and they have some visitor/travel info as well:

http://puramedellin.com/wp/

September and early October are good times to be here. We do go into rainy season in late October through early December. This year we did seem to go through some weeks where it was raining more than not during the day.

You should make yourself aware of the immigration rules so that you don't trip up. You can enter the country without a visa for 60 days, and if you want to stay longer, you need to go to some office to get an extension and, I think, pay some nominal fee. Also, non-residents are limited to six months total stay per year. I'm not sure if that is per calendar year, which would not affect you or if it is a rolling 365 day period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.