Wiki Posts
Search

Trip to Bogotá and...?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Trip to Bogotá and...?

I am going to Bogotá (most likely in August), and I will have about 9 days of vacay.

I want to spend 4-5 of those days in Bogotá, but I am looking for somewhere else to spend the remainder.

I'd like suggestions of where to go (either within Colombia or somewhere else). Ideally somewhere that is no longer than 2-3 hour flight away, and that is a direct flight. I can afford to shell out around $200 for this, or I can use miles (like I am for the rest of the trip). My home airport is ORD, but I am not opposed to going to MDW if needed, and obviously, I'll either be flying to destination question-mark from home or from Bogotá.

I have considered Lima and Quito, any opinions on that, or any other ideas of where to go? If it makes a difference, I speak Spanish and am mostly interested in a cultural/museum type trip. Also into Latino dancing, though I don't know that I'd have the guts to go to a club alone at night.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: IHG, Marriott, Carlson, AAdvantage, BC US Air, CapitalOne VentureOne
I'd like to go to Bogota too. My thought was Cartagena. It looks really nice.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:33 pm

We were in Colombia earlier this year. I would recommend Cartegena or Medellin. We did both in the 10 days we were there and felt rushed. I would read up on both and pick one. Each are about a one hour flight away and pretty affordable through LAN or Avianca. Let me know if you have any specific questions!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
For me, that would be a tough call. I live near Medellin, and there is a lot to see here, particularly if you are interested in culture and dancing. However, if you are interested in seeing two sides of Colombia, then Cartagena might be a better choice. Bogota and Medellin are both big metropolitan cities located far from the coast with similar cultures and climate (Medellin is a little warmer). Cartagena, of course, is on the Caribbean coast and has a very different cultural and physical climate. It's a bit more touristy, of course.

Getting back to ORD is going to be about the same for both. I know there are no non-stops from MDE and I don't think there are any from CTG. However, there are plenty of one-connection flights either through AA or COPA/United.

If you would like to learn more about Medellin, I recommend this site:

http://medellinliving.com/

They have a lot of information for people who are interested in the culture and life here. They also host events like trips to dance clubs and the like, so you might be able to meet up with some folks and not go to a club alone. And you are correct, going to a club alone is not a good idea, even if you are a native.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Much appreciated!

If anyone else has further suggestions - I'm game
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolcoil
For me, that would be a tough call. I live near Medellin, and there is a lot to see here, particularly if you are interested in culture and dancing. However, if you are interested in seeing two sides of Colombia, then Cartagena might be a better choice. Bogota and Medellin are both big metropolitan cities located far from the coast with similar cultures and climate (Medellin is a little warmer). Cartagena, of course, is on the Caribbean coast and has a very different cultural and physical climate. It's a bit more touristy, of course.
Cartagena was another idea I had; I like the idea of seeing somewhere on the Caribbean coast. Just how touristy is Cartagena? Are there safe neighbourhoods to go see that aren't overly touristy?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.1MM
If there is one place to go in Colombia, besides Bogota, it is definitely Cartagena!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by FlyingIsCool
If there is one place to go in Colombia, besides Bogota, it is definitely Cartagena!
If you can only go to one place in Colombia, then it's definitely Medellin! It's got the metropolitan stuff that Bogota has, but with nicer scenery and much better weather. You can go swimming here, and if you drive an hour, you can enjoy a couple of days in a resort with tropical weather.

If you want to go to Bogota, bring your jacket, no matter what time of year. Cartagena is great if you want resort and beaches, but you won't see as much "real" Colombia there.

I'm not knocking the other two places. I love going to Bogota, though I do find it to be a little dreary compared to Medellin. If I were a beach person, I'm sure I would be very happy in Cartagena. There really is no one best choice - it really depends on what you like.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by coolcoil
If you can only go to one place in Colombia, then it's definitely Medellin! It's got the metropolitan stuff that Bogota has, but with nicer scenery and much better weather.
To each his own, I guess. Sure, Medellín's "eternal spring" is quite nice but I happen to love Bogotá's cooler climate. MDE does not have nearly the metropolitan stuff of BOG. Not the restaurant and foodie scene, not the volume of museums and cultural attractions, not the living, breathing historical center (architecturally, MDE is overall an ugly circa 1965 modernist mess)...

Yeah the surrounding hills are beautiful and yeah there are some smokin' hot paisas but MDE (the city itself, not surrounding areas of Antioquia) still strikes me as a much less interesting place to visit.

You can go swimming here, and if you drive an hour, you can enjoy a couple of days in a resort with tropical weather.
And you probably should because you might be pretty bored after more than a couple days in MDE city. If you go, absolutely leave the city and seek out some of the beautiful pueblos in Antioquia. Climb La Piedra de El Peńol. Or go to the west and you can even stay at a vineyard perched high above the Cauca!

But remember that BOG too has warm weather escapes not too far away and some absolutely stunning historic pueblos well worth a visit just a couple hours away in Boyacá department. Villa de Leyva is one particular gem.

If you want to go to Bogota, bring your jacket, no matter what time of year.
Agree. I love that nice cool BOG weather.

Cartagena is great if you want resort and beaches, but you won't see as much "real" Colombia there.
CTG proper is terrible for beaches, in my opinion. Any decent beach will be far, far away from the city and likely require a boat ride to get there.

CTG's historic walled city, however, is stunning living history and every bit as "real Colombia" as anywhere in the country. La ciudad amurallada is one of the most amazing cultural, historic and architectural treasures anywhere in the Americas.

If I were a beach person, I'm sure I would be very happy in Cartagena. There really is no one best choice - it really depends on what you like.
I would NOT be happy as a beach person in Cartagena. For beach, go to Santa Marta, San Andrés, or, best of all, Providencia!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:05 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
As a Spanish speaker that is looking for a cultural experience I would go to the coffee zone. Very safe, amazing landscapes, very easy to get around cheaply on buses and for that culture, just stop and chat to people, they are very friendly, laid back and approachable. You can stay in a coffee farm for US$40 per night and watch them bring the cherries in and process them, you can ride around on a WWII Willys. Rock up at a tiny village for eats and drinks, even in the middle of the day.

Cartagena is wonderful but do expect a fairly touristy experience and lots of hawkers. 2 nights there is plenty

If you want something less obvious but really beautiful and with lots of museums then go to Popayán

Medellín I don't think is a great suggestion for a tourist (except for maybe sex tourists that want to throw a lot of $$ around) I hear it is a great place to live, but as a visitor I think it is fairly hard to orientate yourself and find your feet. I have been maybe a dozen times and I like it more each time I go but the OP does not have a dozen chances to visit. To each their own, OP is from Chicago and Americans seem to love Medellín more than I can fathom. Very cheap hotels in Medellín at the moment. I see Diez Categoría Colombia for $42 per night and that is a really solid hotel.

Herb687's suggestion of Villa de Leyva was a good one. I can spend 4 days there off peak and not get bored, lots and lots to do in the surrounding area too. That's about 4 hours tops out of Bogotá on two buses.

If the OP wants to be the coolest person to ever grace FT then fly to MDE, stay a night in the city, then get the puerta a puerta service to Jardín for a Friday and Saturday night stay. Stay somewhere like Valdivia Plaza in the main square then come back and tell us what you think of that culture.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
As a Spanish speaker that is looking for a cultural experience I would go to the coffee zone. Very safe, amazing landscapes, very easy to get around cheaply on buses and for that culture, just stop and chat to people, they are very friendly, laid back and approachable. You can stay in a coffee farm for US$40 per night and watch them bring the cherries in and process them, you can ride around on a WWII Willys. Rock up at a tiny village for eats and drinks, even in the middle of the day.

Cartagena is wonderful but do expect a fairly touristy experience and lots of hawkers. 2 nights there is plenty

If you want something less obvious but really beautiful and with lots of museums then go to Popayán

Medellín I don't think is a great suggestion for a tourist (except for maybe sex tourists that want to throw a lot of $$ around) I hear it is a great place to live, but as a visitor I think it is fairly hard to orientate yourself and find your feet. I have been maybe a dozen times and I like it more each time I go but the OP does not have a dozen chances to visit. To each their own, OP is from Chicago and Americans seem to love Medellín more than I can fathom. Very cheap hotels in Medellín at the moment. I see Diez Categoría Colombia for $42 per night and that is a really solid hotel.

Herb687's suggestion of Villa de Leyva was a good one. I can spend 4 days there off peak and not get bored, lots and lots to do in the surrounding area too. That's about 4 hours tops out of Bogotá on two buses.

If the OP wants to be the coolest person to ever grace FT then fly to MDE, stay a night in the city, then get the puerta a puerta service to Jardín for a Friday and Saturday night stay. Stay somewhere like Valdivia Plaza in the main square then come back and tell us what you think of that culture.
Thanks for all the suggestions, Johnny!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:00 pm

I suggest Leticia. Then you'll have seen the Amazon and real jungle. Very easily doable as a package from BOG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.