Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three months in South America: what to do

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Three months in South America: what to do

Soon there will be a lot of construction happening right next to where I live and, as I work from home (but can technically do it anywhere), why the hell not go and do it in South America (as long as there's internet).
So, I'm heading there for 3 months. Rather than trying to do some whistle-stop tour of lots of countries, I was thinking of doing one country in-depth then another country for a visit. This is because I can then find a base and work properly, but still have flexibility to travel a bit.
E.g. Ecuador for 2.5 months, Chile for 2-3 weeks.

I like environmental stuff, I want it to be warm, and I'm thinking of travelling in May (or sooner if construction starts earlier than they say it will).

Opinions?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:31 am

Well, I can speak about Brazil. Those three months (May, June, July) are winter in the south and rainy season in much of the northeast. Rio has nice temps and less humidity than other times of year, good for sightseeing but not great for the beach. Even in major cities, internet connections can be slower than you might expect or be used to. Brazil, and particularly a Rio, may not be the easiest to stay on a budget of any kind.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Ecuador is good for "environmental stuff" I suppose, with easy access to the rain forest on the east side of the Andes as well as attractions like the Galapagos Islands. But don't count on being warm there, if you're planning to base yourself in Quito. Due to its altitude, the climate there is cool and spring-like year-round. If you want warmth you could try Guayaquil but frankly, three months there would be 2.75 months too many. IMHO.

You seem interested in Chile as well and Santiago is a livable city all year round, but from May through August warm it's not.

Here's a suggestion: try Panama City. I have a cousin who spent three months there a few years ago, telecommuting as you plan to do. She really enjoyed it and whatever time of year you go, it's going to be warm. Also it's the hub of Copa Airlines which offers reasonable fares to practically anywhere in Latin America, so you can make plenty of short hop trips during your stay.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Spent 3 months in Ecuador. Wanted to stay another 3 (visa requirements made this a no-no but I did leave on Day 89 ). Loved it. Cannot say enough good things about it. The art and architecture was gorgeous. The natural environment (Banos waterfalls, Cloud Forest, the Galapagos, Bahia) were incredible. Cuenca was interesting, the markets were great, food, although bland as could be, was CHEAP. $3 for a complete lunch. Lodging was inexpensive. Make Airbnb your friend as you're travelling. If you want to do a Galapagos cruise (I did my 9 day trip by myself; no cruise) book it IN Ecuador and not from the States.

Learn to speak Spanish or go to school/have tutoring. If you would like more information feel free to post here on PM me. I truly adored my trip big time and Ecuador just blew me away. Cannot wait until I am able to return.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:36 am

Brazil is a great country. Rio is amazing but somewhat expensive. Actually the only thing I have really found that is expensive in Rio is the lodging. If you rent a place for a few months though I think it would be a lot cheaper. Plus the value of the real is dropping, so your money will go further.

Argentina exchange rate is 8.5 to 1 USD. You can bring case though and get 15:1 on the grey market. Something to consider.

On a side note. What do you do for a living? I've always wanted to work from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nsummy
Argentina exchange rate is 8.5 to 1 USD. You can bring case though and get 15:1 on the grey market. Something to consider.
This is a good idea. Two questions - does this work in any other South American countries? And, for Argentina - where do I find this grey market?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
This is a good idea. Two questions - does this work in any other South American countries? And, for Argentina - where do I find this grey market?
Venezuela, but maybe not the best idea to visit now.
You get the blue market rate in Buenos Aires by using the money changers on the street (technically not legal but everyone does it). Calle Florida is the most popular place. Using ATMs or credit cards will get the official rate.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:12 am

Considering the time you are going to visit, I would say Peru and Bolivia are great places - lots of outdoor stuff to do (plenty of great hikes in Peru that aren't the Inca Trail). It does depend on how much you actually want to 'work' whilst doing that. Though, internet in Bolivia is pretty damn appalling.

Rio is a fantastic city and if you can find a place to rent it makes it much cheaper and affordable. The lodging (as nsummy said) is the only real 'great expense' you will have there.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Well, I can speak about Brazil. Those three months (May, June, July) are winter in the south and rainy season in much of the northeast. Rio has nice temps and less humidity than other times of year, good for sightseeing but not great for the beach. Even in major cities, internet connections can be slower than you might expect or be used to. Brazil, and particularly a Rio, may not be the easiest to stay on a budget of any kind.
I would agree with this poster on Brazil. The internet is not good (but serviceable) and one would assume you would want to live in a major city (so you could have a chance to visit other parts of the country). Any decent place will be expensive. Unless you speak Portuguese and know someone you won't be able to find any cheap apartment on the informal market. Maybe you could try some of the other cities outside of Rio and São Paulo.

Brazil is expensive and tickets to other countries or parts of the country are not cheap. I lived a few hours north of Rio and had grand plans when I moved there to visit every country in South America and all over Brazil but never ended up further than Rio because tickets are expensive and getting anywhere takes so long you eat up too much time sitting on a bus just getting to the airport or other city.

If you simply wanted to relax (if you are a beach type) and not be determined to try to visit other parts of the country you could go to the Northeast. Things are much cheaper up there and there are beaches. The crime is higher but I wouldn't worry that much about it.

Otherwise I would suggest picking a country with a more competitively priced air network or good internal road network if you are determined to travel. My brother took buses around Chile and said it was easy. PTY gives you a lot of options if you can pay to fly around.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Just my 2 cents:

- Argentina would be the cheapest, with best quality of long term accomodation, but it would be cold at that time of the year, and a few hours to warmer climes. Pity, as it would have been your top choice if Mar-Jun or Sept-Nov.
- Brazil: as others said, expensive accomodation and generally poor quality (in Rio), and there are day to day language barriers. Better value in SP, but it depends what you are looking for: Rio has a lot more nature around. SP also better connected, and if you are flexible you can get great short deals for flights within Brazil/South America. Just check www.melhoresdestinos.com.br
- Colombia could be a good choice. Compact, diverse country, cheaper. And from there you could go on shorter trips to either Ecuador or Peru.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.