Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Colombia - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
2 weeks in Colombia - any tips?

All I've done so far is book my return trip, arriving and departing from BOG. I will for sure also go to Cartagena. Do you have any other recommendations?

I'm in my mid-20s traveling alone, but meeting up with friends in Bogota and Cartagena. The rest of the time, I will be by myself though hope to meet people along the way!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors
Spend a few days in the Cafetera region (where coffee is from), Armenia, Manizales or Pereira.

Parque Tayrona near Santa Marta has some of the nicest beaches in the world, 3-4 hours in bus from Cartagena.

If spending time in a city, Medellin>Bogota.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:11 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
For the coffee zone base yourself in a hostel in Salento, lots of chances to meet people there. Stay in one of the cities and you have expensive transfers to get to places. The trade off is that Salento is not really in the UNESCO coffee landscape but it's on the doorstep of Cocora

Medellín would be fun for someone your age and lots of hostels in the El Poblado area. Aim to be there for a weekend

Lots of independent travellers in Tayrona but damn is it a boring place. Go only if you are really in to beaches and not doing much.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:32 am
Original Poster

What is the best way to go to Salento/Cocora from Bogota?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Also, I don't speak much Spanish (unfortunately). Any tips that would make my life easier?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by vd0t
What is the best way to go to Salento/Cocora from Bogota?
Fly to Pereira, get a taxi to the terminal, get a bus to Salento

Bus times here

To get to Cocora from Salento you walk up to the main plaza and get in one of these Jeeps

Also, I don't speak much Spanish (unfortunately). Any tips that would make my life easier?
Learn a bit, you don't need much

Please, thank you, to the terminal please, ticket to Salento please, give me a beer etc
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Is it enough to spend a weekend in Peirera/Salento/Cocora?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:52 pm

Is it enough to spend a weekend in Peirera/Salento/Cocora?
Yes for Salento and Cocora, you might need an extra day if you want to see a coffee farm too

This is probably the easiest way to see a coffee farm from Salento
Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

It looks like Pereira/Salento might not work.. but instead going to Medellin! Do you have any recommendations there? (more nature, or even coffee farm if there are any in that area)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors
The Rock of Guatape and surrounding lake is absolutely necessary for a day-trip. Almost 2 hours by bus in the mountains. Hostels regularly organize trips (weekly) whether you are staying there or not. Well worth it.

Parque Arvi is reachable by public transport (metro train, then cable car system up the mountain). Lots of green space there, ecotourism type place. In the city centre, botanical gardens (free) and Parque Explora, like a science centre with a large aquarium (its fun), are located across the street from each other.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip! Those looks really cool!
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:14 pm
Suspended

One tip I would mention is, if you plan on similar activities as the POTUS' security detail engaged in last time they visited Colombia, don't forget to pay the ladies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.