Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Uruguay: Montevideo or Colonia from Buenos Aires?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm thinking of extending my stay in Buenos Aires for a day (later this year mid-Oct or early Nov) so I can visit Montevideo or Colonia. It looks like a 1hr ferry ride to Colonia or 3hrs to Montevideo.

I've never been to either of the two, but I'm leaning towards Colonia (given the UNESCO Heritage tag) and the short travel time for a day trip.

Thoughts? I've read up on wikitravel, but would like to hear suggestions as well.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
MVD. Colonia is pretty and historic, and you can see everything worth seeing in all of 30 minutes. It's really small, and there's really not that much to do.

MVD is a great city, and you can easily spend a couple of days exploring. I personally much prefer MVD to BA - it's big enough that it's got good restaurants and bars, the people are really friendly, and it's much cleaner and more relaxed than BA - and the society just works much better than in Argentina.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:57 pm

I am making this trip in December. I don't think you can do Montevideo in a day simply because the logistics won't work. The return boat from Montevideo back to BA is in the afternoon so you would not be able to spend more than 3-4 hours there. That's why I am leaning towards Colonia, but the more I read about it, it appears it's not such a big deal!!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Colonia is a beauiful little place, lots of historic sites, and really pleasant. I rented a scooter and had a lot of fun motoring around. I spent a full 24 hours. I stayed at this little hotel, and can recommend it:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...epartment.html

MVD is a nice big city, but similar to other South American cities.

If you have only one short day, I recommend Colonia.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:45 pm

I was thinking of similar trip, but as an overnighter. AM ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia, then bus ride from Colonia to Montevideo, overnight in Montevideo, and then back to Buenos Aires by ferry. Does anyone know if there is luggage storage in Colonia while doing a short sightseeing before boarding the bus?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would suggest Colonia if you want to relax.

Montevideo while okay is very similar to BA and not worth a day trip.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
MVD is not worth a same-day trip. I wouldn't recommend anything less than an overnight, because you have 3 hours ferry + 1 hour pre-ferry in each direction (check in, migraciones, etc.)

Colonia is a lovely day trip. Take the early ferry, walk around, have lunch, hire a taxi to drive you around town and show you some additional sightseeing), and you'll take a later afternoon ferry back.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:02 am

I believe flights rt AEP<->MVD can be bought for $75US on Pluna. Maybe that could work?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by injera
I believe flights rt AEP<->MVD can be bought for $75US on Pluna. Maybe that could work?
Pluna went bust last year.

AR fly the route but you'll pay a lot more than $75 for a day return.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:37 am

Thats a bummer. We had such a nice time flying on that little airline when in S. America. Much better experience than TAM or Aerolineas.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I went to Colonia in April and I'm not sure if it's really worth it. It's a neat little town, but after an hour or so I was pretty bored out of my mind.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:26 pm

I have not been to Colonia, but have visited MVD (taking the Buquebus ferry from BA). It is entirely possible that I missed experiencing the highlights of MVD, but frankly, I was not very impressed with the place.

Another person remarked that MVD is cleaner than BA; but frankly, I think that the grotty side of BA has some flavor and charm, and I would rather have that than a cleaner MVD.

If you want to extend your BA visit, why not take in another Argentine city?
Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by catbox9
I went to Colonia in April and I'm not sure if it's really worth it. It's a neat little town, but after an hour or so I was pretty bored out of my mind.
You must have a very large mind

A nice walk around the historic district, a taxi ride to see other sites with narration, a leisurely lunch, a stop at a cafe - that filled up our day (mostly) - but I'm glad we didn't plan on staying any longer.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Was underwhelmed by Colonia, it's a tiny place and doesn't take long to see. My travel companion and I spend most of the day sitting at the ferry pier waiting to return to BsAs. The ferries aren't too frequent and there wasn't an option to leave earlier to BsAs.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
We are planning to go to Colonia for 1 night, then take a bus to Montevideo and stay there for 3 nights, then return to BA. Should we organize the travel from BA to Colonia, then the bus to Montevideo, then the return to BA ahead of time or is it something we can do once in BA? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.