Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Inkaterra or Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM

I'm going to go to Machu Picchu and stay one night. It seems that the Sanctuary Lodge would be best due to the proximity to the entrance and the spectacular location. However, for those benefits, the Sanctuary Lodge costs double that of the Inkaterra.
Any experiences to help me decide would be appreciated.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
My 2-pesos would be that the Sanctuary Lodge is overpriced regardless of its location. Yes, it is RIGHT NEXT to the entrance but the hotel is not much more than a typical 4-star place anywhere else. I have not stayed there but had a meal in the restaurant and was not impressed. Sort of like over-paying for a hotel right in Disneyland, lots of people running around, crowds right outside your window .... no peace and quiet.

If you would consider, the Tambo del Inka is a great hotel for about 1/3 the price of the Lodge. IT is a train ride away though ...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:44 pm

If just one night stay next to it. You won't be wasting time.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
And if you want to hike to the top of Huayna Picchu, you can get an early start by staying so close to the entrance. NO need to wait for trains and/or buses. The view from the top is spectacular.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Thanks for the information.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:37 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I haven't personally talked to anyone who has stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge, but I've heard very good things about the Inkaterra (people liked the included excursions).
I guess it all depends on how much you value being next to the entrance...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
How early do you want to get there? The buses to MP start at 5:30am and only take 30 minutes, so I don't see how it can be worth double the price just to avoid the bus. I guess the big advantage would be that you could check what the fog looks like and hang out in your room until it clears, plus have better restroom facilities.

I have not stayed at either hotel, but had lunch an the Inkaterra and found it very nice and reasonably priced. I also really liked the decor which made it look like a hut. The sanctuary looked rather plain, at least on the outside.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:50 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by doctor15
How early do you want to get there? The buses to MP start at 5:30am and only take 30 minutes, so I don't see how it can be worth double the price just to avoid the bus. I guess the big advantage would be that you could check what the fog looks like and hang out in your room until it clears, plus have better restroom facilities.
I agree with that. In the past buses started to climb around 8am but nowadays it starts at 5:30am so staying at Aguas Calientes may safe money.

Stay at Sanctuary Lodge only if you really want that experience and avoid the Aguas Calientes crowd.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (Lifetime Gold), AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I recently stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge and it was a great experience. Yes, it's more expensive than other options. One thing to consider is that the rate at the Lodge includes all food and drinks, including alcohol. If you check in for the afternoon, you'll have a great dinner, breakfast, and then you can go for lunch after your visit to Machu Picchu.

They also have a day lounge that you can use after you've hiked Huayna Pichhu. It was great to come back, have a nice hot shower, then enjoy lunch before heading back down on the bus.

We found the service to be great and the lodge itself is nice. It's not a 5-star resort that wows you, but it's quite nice and we found the convenience and amenities worth the extra cost.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed at Inkaterra several years ago when Sanctuary Lodge was packed. We loved it. In fact, we didn't even go back to MP the next day at sunrise, we were fascinated so much by the birds.

I don't know what package our travel agent booked, but dinner was included with all drinks (cocktail, wine with dinner, after dinner drinks) and five courses.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Pedro M
And if you want to hike to the top of Huayna Picchu, you can get an early start by staying so close to the entrance. NO need to wait for trains and/or buses. The view from the top is spectacular.
Yes that is correct. They limit the tickets HP at last visit two tears ago to 400.

Be very aware that MP is at about 8000 ft, HP higher. You better be in good shape !

We stayed in Cuzco like the majority of people to get acclimatized to the atmosphere ( 11000 ft ) , took a very beautiful train and bus ride to get to MP.

Make sure you take your passport to MP, they will stamp it. Nice looking stamp.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:02 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes that is correct. They limit the tickets HP at last visit two tears ago to 400.
True. If you arrive at MP on the 11am train, forget Huayna Picchu that day. They don't let you enter that section, even if you don't want to climb Huayna. Of course there is no enough time to visit MP and climb to the top of Huayna on the same day, but I was just looking for the Temple of the Moon, within that section but couldn't enter because the people limit was already reached at noon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.