Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tap Water and Ice in Chile

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
The above info is correct regarding muni water with the exception for the north where tap water possibly has a high arsenic level due to the mining industry.
What is the basis for the assertion that high arsenic levels in tap water in northern Chile are "due to the mining industry"? It is widely known that many natural waters in northern Chile (almost exclusively groundwater systems, given the arid climate) are high in As. This has nothing to do with the mining industry.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
What is the basis for the assertion that high arsenic levels in tap water in northern Chile are "due to the mining industry"? It is widely known that many natural waters in northern Chile (almost exclusively groundwater systems, given the arid climate) are high in As. This has nothing to do with the mining industry.
Whatever the cause, feel free to drink up in the north. You don't deny that it could be a problem right?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Whatever the cause, feel free to drink up in the north. You don't deny that it could be a problem right?
Absolutely not. I know that arsenic in drinking water is a problem in the north of Chile. I have a friend in Canada who is married to a woman from Antofagasta, who has scars on her back that she attributes to skin problems that developed when she was a child, due to the arsenic in the water she drank.

The point is, the arsenic in Antofagasta's water has nothing to do with the mining industry. It's a naturally occurring constituent in many groundwater systems in northern Chile.

Yes, I work in the mining industry, in an environmental capacity, and yes, I know what I'm talking about.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
I know that arsenic in drinking water is a problem in the north of Chile.
Arsenic in the water here in Bs As province is an issue at the moment.

We got a bore hole done in the garden mainly for irrigation purposes but we thought we would use it for drinking as well instead of the awful tap water but tests on it revealed a high arsenic content. A near by towns mains supply was also found to contain higher than average arsenic levels.

Although I suspect you'd need to drink gallons of the stuff every day for it to do you any harm.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:31 pm

Edited my original post so we don't go more off topic.

Just trying to point something out that was apparently ignored earlier and apparently true (the aresenic in the water).

De Nada.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:43 pm

While I reckon Chile is probably the most developed country in South America, I really can't see it at the same level or "better" than the US. That's a claim way too far-fetched. Remember its GDP and HDI are only mid-level. If you have been to some poor even only normal neighborhoods then you'll feel it's the same as other normal countries - smelly with piss, buildings dilapidated, and not so safe. Valpo and Viņa are generally populated by rich people as a seaside resort so they don't tell the story at all. And if you live there for long you'll sense they are still quite outdated, conservative and inefficient in many sectors. I am an exchange student in its supposedly best university(Catolica) but its administration and usage of technology is such a shocking mess, while its student activities and vitality are totally non-existent compared with American ones. After 9:30 p.m. in weekdays / in whole weekends the WHOLE UNIVERSITY is slam shut and you can't even find one single room nor desk to do your work nor one single student in the campus. It's simply ridiculous even compared with Chinese standards. Regarding the Metro I don't know how the Metro of DC is falling apart but if they can't even keep such a basic system functioning then that would be a farce. I guarantee that Metro systems in various cities of China are generally cleaner and better designed than that of Santiago.

For me, what's worst is the overwhelming US cultural influence which leaves it totally without its own characteristics and unlovely. You see English in literally the name of every shop although the people generally don't speak English. It's disgusting. BA is much better than that.

Regarding drinking water, indeed it has a flavor but since the majority of Chileans are drinking that, I don't see a problem. The bottled waters always claim to be safe but in reality I've seen quite a few news reports suggesting they are no much better than tap water at all. It's just a branding and marketing stuff.

Last edited by AnonJ; Feb 21, 2014 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:46 am

One doesn't move to Chile for USA or other developed world efficiency. So discard all the UN and OECD stats and International Living and their ilk marketing caca.

One doesn't live (visit, yes) in the Santiasco-Viņa-Valpo axis if they are serious about enjoying the other aspects of Chile.

Chile is one of the few Ibero-Americn countries that has microbial safe muni drinking water.

I use a multi-stage carbon-resin filter and steam distilled water for my personal drinking and cooking water needs.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AnonJ
You see English in literally the name of every shop although the people generally don't speak English. It's disgusting. BA is much better than that.
I find it more comical than disgusting, and if BA had new development with new stores, you'd see the same thing. When I walked around the new Costanera Mall to get out of the heat a couple of months ago, I did remark on how some stores were all in English (signs, labels, everything) and the staff didn't speak any English. In fact, we joked with someone who was helping us in one place.

I've fortunately had the opportunity to not only watch Chile "grow up" over the past 13 years, but also, to be invited into what would be considered "lower middle" to "middle class" housing outside of the big city. One friend's mother's house(in the south) is falling apart, in an old working class neighborhood. But you know what? There's safe water, plumbing, electricity, internet and cable. His brother's house is a newer prefab tiny little thing, that on a world standard, is better than 90-some percent of the world's population lives. Many of my lodgings in my early trips were in humble little places dotted all around the country. Plenty of Chile remains plenty lovely. Get a car, or hop on a cheap flight, and go see it.

And back to the water, a lot of bottled water in the USA is nothing more than filtered tap water, and has had the same exact press as that which you describe in Chile.

When I make coffee at my "first world" apartment in Buenos Aires, I use bottled water.

I'd also suggest that if you into some of more rural areas of the US South, you'd find living standards similar to my friend's mother's house, albeit the residents of "similar" in the US have a lesser education.

VP has it right. There isn't efficiency (combined with customer service) anywhere in the world quite like the US and Canada. Not even most of Europe does.

I could go on, but Chile is what it is, and fortunately, it has a drinking water and food supply at least as safe as where I live.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:42 am

More off topic regarding uni:

Yes, Chile does not have university life like in the States or other places. Most students still live at home and if not, go home for the weekend. Social life is focussed on childhood friends and family and later, work colleagues. Way it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.