Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each country’s destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow fever vaccination requirements for South America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Required if arriving from yellow fever areas
Recommended if traveling to parts of Bolivia below 2300m elevation
(so La Paz is fine, Santa Cruz is not)

From Expert Flyer
Vaccination against yellow fever is required if arriving within 6 days after leaving or transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission.

Exempt from Yellow Fever vaccination:
- Children under 1 year of age.
- Passengers transiting countries with risk of yellow fever transmission within 12 hours provided not leaving the transit areas.
Recommended:
- Vaccination against yellow fever recommended for all passengers of 9 months and older traveling to the following areas east of the Andes at altitudes below 2300 m: the entire Depts. of Beni, Pando and Santa Cruz, and designated areas of the departments of Chuquisaca, Cochabamba, La Paz
and Tarija.

- Malaria prophylaxis. Malaria risk, mainly due to P. vivax, exists throughout the year in the whole country below 2500m with P. falciparum present in Santa Cruz and Beni and Pando departments. Recommended prevention in risk areas: B; in Beni, Pando and Santa Cruz: C.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The issue is AA probably won't check, but you might find yourself in the position of getting yellow fever vaccine on arrival in the subject areas (along with your family). At some outposts, the vaccine could be beyond expiry, may have been stored improperly - and you might not be getting injected with sterile, non-reusable syringes and needles. I'd not subject myself and family to those risks - you might get inadequately protected, or even get Chagas' or other blood borne pathogens. (Yes, I've personally witnessed such things.)

And you may be asked to provide the authorized certified proof of YFV vaccination upon returning to the USA (or other country) from an infected area.

Not every physician can administer yellow fever vaccine; call your HMO, travel clinic or County Health Department TODAY. Read the CDC-P "yellow sheet" pages on YFV.

And ask about proper techniques to protect yourself from insect bites (if in primitive housing, including "kissing bugs" that transmit Chagas' disease). Permanone / permethrin on outer garments / clothes, DEET or other approved repellent on exposed skin, and I'd take malaria meds for prophylaxis or presumptive treatment of malaria (see your travel clinic or medical professional, read the CDC pages on malaria, Chagas' disease, dengue and other diseases that might exist at your destinations). Most Texas cities have travel clinics that can help - and see the travelers quickly. (My niece was headed to an Asian area with chloroquine resistant falciparum malaria and we got her seen the afternoon she told me, in San Antonio.)

Chagas is nasty - it can remain a symptomatic until the heart damage is severe.

See the CDC pages: Health Information for Travelers to Bolivia.

As this is really a destination question, not an airline question, it will be moved soon. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 3, 2014 at 10:12 am Reason: add
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JDiver
The issue is AA probably won't check, but you might find yourself in the position of getting yellow fever vaccine on arrival in the subject areas (along with your family). At some outposts, the vaccine could be beyond expiry, may have been stored improperly - and you might not be getting injected with sterile, non-reusable syringes and needles. I'd not subject myself and family to those risks - you might get inadequately protected, or even get Chagas' or other blood borne pathogens. (Yes, I've personally witnessed such things.)

Not every physician can administer yellow fever vaccine; call your HMO, travel clinic or County Health Department TODAY.

And ask about proper techniques to protect yourself from insect bites (if in primitive housing, including "kissing bugs" that transmit Chagas' disease). Permanone / permethrin on outer garments / clothes, DEET or other approved repellent on exposed skin, and I'd take malaria meds for prophylaxis or presumptive treatment of malaria (see your travel clinic or medical professional, read the CDC pages on malaria, Chagas' disease, dengue and other diseases that might exist at your destinations). Most Texas cities have travel clinics that can help - and see the travelers quickly. (My niece was headed to an Asian area with chloroquine resistant falciparum malaria and we got her seen the afternoon she told me, in San Antonio.)

Chagas is nasty - it can remain a symptomatic until the heart damage is severe.

As this is really a destination question, not an airline question, it will be moved soon. /Moderator
Most travel vaccines are not covered by insurance, but usually aren't that expensive.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
If you're in Austin, there is a good travel clinic at ADC that I used to use when I lived down there.
https://www.adclinic.com/service/travel-clinic/

I'd assume other large cities have something similar - if you're in west TX or not near a metro your county health dept is probably the best bet.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by skunker
Most travel vaccines are not covered by insurance, but usually aren't that expensive.
Off topic, fortunately my HMO covers travel meds and vaccines - and in their Medicare extension, covers emergency and urgent medical care abroad as well. It genuinely pays to shop around.

But on topic, yellow fever prophylaxis is often cheapest at one's local health department, which in some areas is also the only approved source of v
YF vaccine and the required verifying stamp on one's "yellow card" form. And in the long run, it's cheap, given yellow fever vaccine affords ten year protection. ^
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
If you're in Austin, there is a good travel clinic at ADC that I used to use when I lived down there.
https://www.adclinic.com/service/travel-clinic/

I'd assume other large cities have something similar - if you're in west TX or not near a metro your county health dept is probably the best bet.
Exactly! The Dallas - Ft. Worth metroplex, San Antonio, Houston, Austin etc. offer private travel clinics. But though I don't recall how many days it requires for the yellow fever vaccine to confer full strength immunity, it usually takes a few days for most vaccines to provide maximum protection.

This vaccine is administered only at designated vaccination centers. Locations of centers are available from your local health department. Information regarding registered yellow fever vaccination sites can be viewed at the CDC Travelers' Health Yellow Fever website.
Btw YFV vaccine is contraindicated for some. A physician's signed (better yet, sealed and translated) letterhead declaration someone should NOT be vaccinated is usually accepted by authorities in lieu of proof of vaccination.

The trick is often vaccination proof may be required on arrival in an infected area - and on arrival in a country not affected if the passenger has recently been in an infected area.

Of course, we don't know if the orphanage in question is in the safer highlands or in a lowland area with YFV endemicity.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 3, 2014 at 10:02 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
As I recall from my trip to Peru this summer. Yellow Fever Vaccine takes 10 days for full effectivness. You should get the official Yellow Card upon receipt. Lasts 10years.

Local county health places are the cheapest but still not cheap (I think I paid approx 160.00). Still Travel Clinics are usually quicker for last min stabbings.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by execplatscum
Local county health places are the cheapest but still not cheap (I think I paid approx 160.00). Still Travel Clinics are usually quicker for last min stabbings.
This was my experience. $160 each for four of us. Not cheap.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Get your vaccination ASAP if going to affected areas.

The yellow fever vaccine is safe and affordable, providing effective immunity against yellow fever within 10 days for 80–100% of people and 99% immunity within 30 days. A single dose of yellow fever vaccine is sufficient to confer sustained immunity and life-long protection against yellow fever disease and a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine is not needed.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs100/en/
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: Bear Backers
Yellow fever shot question

Flying from sfo to Santiago chile with stops in San Salvador and Bogota next Feb. will we need the vacination?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by oskidunker
Flying from sfo to Santiago chile with stops in San Salvador and Bogota next Feb. will we need the vacination?
I'd recommend the SmartTraveler App from the US State Department. This is the link for the Apple App Store. It's a freebie and has tons of this info.

Smart Traveler by US Department of State
https://appsto.re/us/KLVyA.i
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does TIMATIC say?

The USA Department of State is authoritative only for questions of admissibility to the USA, not other countries.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What does TIMATIC say?

The USA Department of State is authoritative only for questions of admissibility to the USA, not other countries.
Good call since I was denied boarding to Honduras after leaving Peru. I had looked at US citizen entry requirements and it didn't mention anything, and I had no idea Peru was an endemic country.

Chris
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Parts of Peru are, but CDC does not recommend the vaccine for LIM or for many of the commonly-visited tourist areas in Peru like Cusco and Machu Picchu. According to CDC, there are no entry requirements for Peru, but some countries will say that since YF is present, pax who have been there within 6 months or so will have to give proof of vaccination before entry.

CDC Yellow Fever & Malaria Info by Country

For the OP, Chile does not have any YF-related entry requirements and is not considered to have YF at all. However, El Salvador requires proof of vaccination for travelers coming from an endemic area, even one where you only transited their airport if said transit took 12 hours or longer. I believe Colombia fits that definition, so you could be potentially denied entry to El Salvador coming from Bogata. El Salvador now considers a single vaccination good for life according to the CDC (several countries upped it from 10 years recently, FWIW).

My wife and I recently got our YF vaccinations and had less side effects than I typically have from the annual flu shot. 'Twasn't cheap, though: the shot was $125, plus $60 in service fees from the clinic. We had to go to the county health department as YF vaccine isn't typically available through primary care doctors' offices.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:36 am

Getting a Yellow Fever pinch is a good move; it's good for ten years in most places, can avoid your getting one "on site" from potentially dodgy "works" or poorly kept vaccine. (I recall those unvaccinated were shot in Pto. Maldonado, Perú one time - not so sure they were following every protocol.)

If you're susceptible to problems from a vaccine component, a letter from a physician stating its medically recommended you not get YFV is in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.