Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each country’s destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow fever vaccination requirements for South America

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:44 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Absolutely no one will ask you for the yellow fever cert. Just was there last month and I forgot to get one and then found out that almost no other tourists got it either. I'm consistently sweet bait for mosquitos and I thought Iguazu (Arg side) was almost devoid of the pests.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by x1achilles
Absolutely no one will ask you for the yellow fever cert. Just was there last month and I forgot to get one and then found out that almost no other tourists got it either. I'm consistently sweet bait for mosquitos and I thought Iguazu (Arg side) was almost devoid of the pests.
My Dr. recommended it and so I got one today.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by R2134
Was about to book two nights at Iguazu falls, but now not sure if I need yellow fever vaccine or not. It's too late to get it since I need to get it at least ten days before heading there. My other two destinations (Rio and Buenos Aires) don't require it. But from reading other posts not sure if I need it or not.

I've seen some people post there is 0 chance of getting it, but other say not to even take a risk. Also saw someone mention that yellow fever vaccine is required to cross Brazil border.

Am I just overthinking this? Or would I be better off leaving Iguazu falls for another time?
Everyone entering Brazil needs a Yellow Fever Vaccine Certificate. It is no big deal! The shot is not painful at all. Just get your shot, then your certificate, and enjoy the grandeur and beauty of the falls!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
In some cases, they may ask for it.
(I know on the Singaporean D/E card they have 'Have you been to South America or Africa in the last 6 days? and ask you for the card if you tick yes.)
Everyone entering Brazil needs a Yellow Fever Vaccine Certificate. It is no big deal! The shot is not painful at all. Just get your shot, then your certificate, and enjoy the grandeur and beauty of the falls!

I see several responses claiming that you don't need the YF Certificate. Frankly, I don't know where these individuals entered Brazil, but if you enter the country at Sao Paulo or Rio, you definitely will be asked for your certificate. On the other hand, if you are visiting the falls from the Argentine side, I agree that there is no need for the YF Certificate.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dsmcg629

I see several responses claiming that you don't need the YF Certificate. Frankly, I don't know where these individuals entered Brazil, but if you enter the country at Sao Paulo or Rio, you definitely will be asked for your certificate. On the other hand, if you are visiting the falls from the Argentine side, I agree that there is no need for the YF Certificate.
Not according to the WHO you don't need the yellow fever cert:

http://www.who.int/ith/chapters/ith2...ountrylist.pdf
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by dsmcg629

I've lived in Brazil for almost two years. I've entered the country 4x at GRU, 1x at GIG, and overland at Foz do Iguaçu and São Borja. I've never been asked for a Yellow Fever certificate. I know several Brazilians that went to Manaus without the Yellow Fever vaccine.

The only time I'm heard about people (hit and miss) needing to show their Yellow Fever vaccine certificate has been deep in the Pantanal in Mato Grosso.

But one rule with Brazil is YMMV. Always.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A Yellow Fever pinch is good for ten years, and is required in some areas (suggested for protection in some others), so you may as well get it. Normally you must get a YFV at a center that can provide an official stamp, which means a bit more time and bother than your family physician's office.

Another good reason to get this vaccine: sometimes in some places (it happened to me arriving in the Amazon at Pto. Maldonado in Perú) you may be asked to provide proof of vaccination; if you can not, you can be vaccinated on the spot - and there is no guarantee the local health authorities will have refrigerated and kept the vaccine s required by the manufacturer, nor (worse) they will be 100% on the syringe and needle(s) they use.

Note: two things are normally accepted: the YFV and its official stamp or a letter exempting one from a YFV because of undesirable effects. Frankly, given YF is still a possibility in some areas, I'd get the vaccine and not worry for the next ten years.

It's still wise to take preventive measures to protect yourself against mosquito bites (today, you can buy clothing impregnated with permethrin / permanone, which remains in the clothing for 20 or more washings, or add it yourself - lasts perhaps 10 washings this way), covering up and using repellents.

I have had chikungunya fever (Vietnam, 1965), malaria (childhood), and dengue (near Yucatán / Belize border, perhaps 10 years ago), the latter without thinking we'd be going into a deep jungle area to visit some Maya ruins - damp, dark, veritable CLOUDS of mosquitoes, and I was wearing a dark tee shirt. I may as well have been waving a cape in a field of angry bulls. You really don't want any of these - chik and dengue have no prophylactic vaccines, and no treatment. I can promise you some lousy days.

As to Iguazú (Argentina) and Iguaçu (Brasil), I can't say I noticed huge number of mozzies for the monkeys, birds (including toucans) etc. - but then again the falls and surrounding areas are so truly visually and experientially splendid you'll be focused on that. See both sides, take a few days; you'll be happy you did.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Yellow fever shots

Not needed if over 60 years old. Was assured that entry points in SA know this.

Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA
Got a link to SA countries which require this?

i
Old Jul 14, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
It's not just South American countries that require this, but also countries you visit after South America. A number of years ago now, but flying from LIM to SJO everyone was checked for yellow fever immunisation certificate.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Got a link to SA countries which require this?

i
http://www.who.int/ith/chapters/ith2...ountrylist.pdf
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: BA
Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Well I'm just came back from Brazil last week, I got my shot 3 weeks ago in Buenos Aires (it was free), I did it because Brasilia was one of the places in the list but they never asked me about it, at least not in USA. Anyway, the certificate is valid for 10 years and I did not get any reaction or any mark on my arm.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You can also get the certificate (yellow card) if you are medically unable to have he vaccine or not in the vaccine age group. It works just like the regular yellow card. The doctor just has to write in the reason that you may not be vaccinated. This is the fail-safe way to go.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Quick Question re: Bolivia and Yellow Fever (to be moved)

All,

My wife and a colleague are traveling to Bolivia next week to help with some kids at an orphanage. We just got word that they might need a Yellow Fever vaccine. But CDC says no. Word on the street is maybe AA checks the record before you go.

Any thoughts? Help? Advice?

Thanks,
TexasPastor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.