Wiki Posts
Search

A340-300 business class question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
A340-300 business class question

So I'm booked on the A340-300 from LHR-JNB. Couldn't get onto the A330-200.

1) Are all A340-300s converted to the newer beige/brown business class seats? i.e. not the blue ones found on the A340-600?

This webpage seems to show the A340-300s are the old blue ones.

Or how many are the blue ones and how many are the newer beige/brown ones??

2) Hows the IFE on the A340-300 compared to the A330-200?

3) How is the pitch from the front cabin vs back cabin? I'm 190cm and usually sleep with my feet touching the seat in front of me on the A330-200. Would like to choose a seat that gives me the greatest amount of pitch.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Are all A340-300s converted to the newer beige/brown business class seats? i.e. not the blue ones found on the A340-600?
ZS-SXA through ZS-SXF are in the old blue, ZS-SXG and ZS-SXH are in the newer light brown.

How is the pitch from the front cabin vs back cabin? I'm 190cm and usually sleep with my feet touching the seat in front of me on the A330-200. Would like to choose a seat that gives me the greatest amount of pitch.
Same pitch on the A330s and A340s are nearly identical.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evanb
ZS-SXA through ZS-SXF are in the old blue, ZS-SXG and ZS-SXH are in the newer light brown.
Lol darn... so only 2 of the 8 A340-300s are in the newer light brown?

http://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/S...ctive-a340.htm

Which routes do those 2 planes normally fly?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:37 pm

Which routes do those 2 planes normally fly?
None of the A340-300s are dedicated to specific routes, they all rotate through most stations.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: LH M&M
In practice, does it really make a difference? Not asking to be snarky, I have a genuine interest. I thought the seats were basically identical except for a few cosmetic changes.

Im flying JNB-MUC next week sunday, looks like its on the 346 usually but sometimes gets a 332. Surely the older seats are still ok? Or would it be a real advantage to try get a 332?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by purch
In practice, does it really make a difference? Not asking to be snarky, I have a genuine interest. I thought the seats were basically identical except for a few cosmetic changes.

Im flying JNB-MUC next week sunday, looks like its on the 346 usually but sometimes gets a 332. Surely the older seats are still ok? Or would it be a real advantage to try get a 332?
In business they are basically identical as you say. The A332s are just a little newer and certainly look newer, but pretty much the same seat with cosmetic changes. In economy it's a little different, the A332 has slightly better IFE while the A343 and A346 have more legroom.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by evanb
In business they are basically identical as you say. The A332s are just a little newer and certainly look newer, but pretty much the same seat with cosmetic changes. In economy it's a little different, the A332 has slightly better IFE while the A343 and A346 have more legroom.
Ok pretty much as I expected, thanks. It now shows an A343 for this sunday. Would have been cool to get a 330, but anyway it doesn't make a big difference, just glad to have found a seat.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I actually find the A340 J seats quite comfortable, I might be an anomaly though.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067
I actually find the A340 J seats quite comfortable, I might be an anomaly though.
I don't think you are an anomaly. There are some on FT who have said they didn't like the seat but I still find it great, especially since the seat was brought out so long ago. And many others seem to agree.

My only worry would be that after so many years, the cushions would get a bit worn out but then SA gives you the mattress pad to sleep on anyway. And I slept like a baby on my last trip with them in J.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purch

I like shiny new plastic things :P The A332s definitely feels more "cosy" and "warmer" to fly on. Also the entertainment system is newer.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I personally prefer the blue to the brown - it's just a nicer colour scheme to my eyes. And I also find the seats perfectly comfortable and spacious, more so than some of the newer premium C cabins out there which boast full lie flat and all aisle access but do at the expense of being very tight fits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.