Wiki Posts
Search

SAA scraps AUH - forgets to tell anyone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SAA scraps AUH - forgets to tell anyone

"SAA has allegedly cancelled its flights between Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg. Travel agents confirmed they were unable to book SAA operated flights on the GDS for February.

Etihad Airways, which has a code share with SAA on the route, said in a statement that it would accommodate passengers booked on flights operated by SAA between Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg effective February 1.

SAA was unable to comment at the time of publication.
"

Source

Johan
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:42 am

Maybe trimmed back service? Saw this on airlineroute:

In this week’s schedule update, South African Airways has revised operational frequencies for Northern summer 2016 season. Planned service reduction from 7 to 3 weekly, commencing from 01FEB16, will be maintained on/after 27MAR16, on board Airbus A330-200 aircraft. However, this route is only available to book in full fare C and Y class, including ETIHAD codeshare service operated by SAA.

Very unfortunate for people who have confirmed tickets....even a few days from now.

The best part comes in the auto-reply to SAA: (bolding mine)
"South African Airways appreciates you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Your inquiry will be assigned to a Customer Service Agent, a substantive response will be shared with you within 21 working days.

Warm regards,

SAA Customer Service"

This airline deserves to fail
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
SAA i believe has cut back the AUH route in favour of the new JNB-ABJ ( ABUJA , NIGERIA) route which is operated by the A333-200 ....
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by johan rebel
"[COLOR="Blue"]SAA has allegedly cancelled its flights between Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg. Travel agents confirmed they were unable to book SAA operated flights on the GDS for February.
Some travel agents might have forgotten how to use the GDS. They have reduced flights to 3x weekly, but still bookable as SA278/279. Go have a look for yourself.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:04 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by DBCme
Maybe trimmed back service? Saw this on airlineroute:

In this week’s schedule update, South African Airways has revised operational frequencies for Northern summer 2016 season. Planned service reduction from 7 to 3 weekly, commencing from 01FEB16, will be maintained on/after 27MAR16, on board Airbus A330-200 aircraft. However, this route is only available to book in full fare C and Y class, including ETIHAD codeshare service operated by SAA.

Very unfortunate for people who have confirmed tickets....even a few days from now.

The best part comes in the auto-reply to SAA: (bolding mine)
"South African Airways appreciates you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Your inquiry will be assigned to a Customer Service Agent, a substantive response will be shared with you within 21 working days.

Warm regards,

SAA Customer Service"

This airline deserves to fail

It has (deservedly) already failed. The only reason there are still ongoing flights is that the SA taxpayer (i.e. me, amongst not that many others) keeps on pumping money into it.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by evanb
Some travel agents might have forgotten how to use the GDS.
Perhaps not.

"SAA has confirmed that it has scrapped the Abu Dhabi route, which was launched in March last year.

“It became apparent to us that the route was unlikely to become profitable, at least not in the near future,”said SAA spokesperson Tlali Tlali
"

Source

Johan
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
DBCme,

SA changed its schedules early January from 7x to 3x. Then SA canceled the service completely!!!

I thought it was wonderful having SA serve the Middle East and work with Etihad. I think the low oil prices resulted in reduced traffic to/from the Middle East. But I wish SA would've canceled the service entire from the get-go instead of "winding down."
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SAA to Abu Dhabi – doomed from the start?

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
But I wish SA would've canceled the service entire from the get-go instead of "winding down."
Story here.

Johan
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Story here.

Johan
Thanks, Johan.

Very interesting.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
DBCme,

SA changed its schedules early January from 7x to 3x. Then SA canceled the service completely!!!

I thought it was wonderful having SA serve the Middle East and work with Etihad. I think the low oil prices resulted in reduced traffic to/from the Middle East. But I wish SA would've canceled the service entire from the get-go instead of "winding down."
wonderful?

the african continent is horrendously under serviced when it comes to intra-africa air transport

the me3 are dumping capacity mid east<>africa routes
not to mention tk and et are * partners within striking distance of me

a company bleeding cash tries a partnership with a me3 that has lower cost structure

how was this route (like that stupid jnbpek flight) in any way wonderful?

edit: ey even said they will boost capacity on jnbauh, so by having saa no longer operate this route, there is even more capacity for pax and cargo. as a consumer, i'd say this is route cancellation is great news.

Last edited by phbl; Feb 9, 2016 at 6:12 am
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by phbl
wonderful?
It would've been wonderful for ME with another carrier connecting UAE and South Africa non-stop, as I may be flying between those countries in the future. Would've help kept competition in check. Business-wise, I don't have enough information in terms of things being "wonderful" from SA's fiscal point of view.

Now you have a point though that intra-Africa connectivity is lacking. I've read that SA's specialty really is intra-Africa traffic and perhaps they should focus more of their resources in that market.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phbl
ey even said they will boost capacity on jnbauh, so by having saa no longer operate this route, there is even more capacity for pax and cargo. as a consumer, i'd say this is route cancellation is great news.
When SAA started flying to AUH, EY dropped its second flight (I cannot recall whether it was daily). They would have to reinstate it to provide "even more capacity". Sticking to a single flight and substituting a slightly larger aircraft won't cut it. Apart from total capacity, one flight instead of two means less choice by definition.

Johan
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Just bought a ticket on SA, and they were advertising 7x weekly JNB-AUH flights on the confirmation e-mail hehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.