Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines and Sky Team

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, GHA - Pan Pacific Hotels
China Airlines and Sky Team

I read, some months back, that China Airlines have expressed an interest in joining Sky Team. I have searched the net for more information but I can’t find any articles. Is it just rumour or are talks still on going?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Still just rumor. Nothing formally announced yet.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Seems hard to imagine China Airlines coming in, since China Southern is already there. The whole China-Taiwan thing.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by MW147
Seems hard to imagine China Airlines coming in, since China Southern is already there. The whole China-Taiwan thing.
CI already has reciprocal agreements with CZ and other Chinese airlines on their FFPs. The China-Taiwan thing should pose no hindrance in CI joining Skyteam or any other alliances of which Chinese airlines are already members.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, FlyingClub, eleVAte, Evergreen Club, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
That's face it, the service in China Airlines is way better than China Southern. I'd be happy if they join....
Old Nov 2, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by MW147
That's not such a big problem anymore. Currently there are weekend cross straights flights by both the Taiwanese airlines and Chinese mainland airlines, no need for a stop in HKG or MFM anymore if you're traveling on those days. As already mentioned several of the FF programs are partners now between the mainland and Taiwanese carriers.

There did seem to be somewhat of a formal announcement that CI was supposed to join this year but doesn't look like it'll happen by the end of the year now since no more news has been put out there. Personally I'd like it if CI would join up since this allows a lot more option intra-Asia than we have at the moment. I really don't mind CI's Dynasty Class and in some markets its priced pretty competitively though their BS 7kg carry on rule is terribly annoying. I can see this in coach where the overhead space is more limited in relation to the # of pax but in business seems totally unnecessary. I'll never understand carryon luggage being limited by weight rather than size.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Location: spending 22 days a year on planes means I am everywhere
Programs: Too many to list
They also have very old interiors and will not be updating them anytime soon. They are making huge cutbacks in everyway possible to save money. I reckon they will be better off stop flying all thier friends and family for free
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Currently there are weekend cross straights flights by both the Taiwanese airlines and Chinese mainland airlines, no need for a stop in HKG or MFM anymore if you're traveling on those days.
Just Yesterday they reached an agreement to have daily flights, we'll be seeing those really soon. This might promt CI to join ST sooner to limit direct competition between CZ and CI.

Alot of CZ pilots are from taiwan, due to mainland China's huge shortage, with more direct flghts, i would't be surpriced to see TPE based flight crews flying around the mainland during the day, and fly home at night. who knows, CZ might just make TPE a hub, or maybe even a merger.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by spkg

Alot of CZ pilots are from taiwan, due to mainland China's huge shortage, with more direct flghts, i would't be surpriced to see TPE based flight crews flying around the mainland during the day, and fly home at night. who knows, CZ might just make TPE a hub, or maybe even a merger.
Impossible, unless you want a repeat of this happening. The Taiwanese side has shown that they don't take too kindly to anything mainland Chinese being on Taiwanese soil.

I apologize for mixing politics into this but was doing it to merely prove a point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.