Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Live on 2 continents - FlyingBlue vs. WorldPerks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Live on 2 continents - FlyingBlue vs. WorldPerks?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Question Live on 2 continents - FlyingBlue vs. WorldPerks?

I'm wondering whether any FTers have addresses on both Northwest turf (the Americas and East Asia) and KLM turf (Europe, Africa, Middle East and Indian Subcontinent), and if so, which programme they've chosen to go with. Northwest's programme rules state:

The WorldPerks program is open to any individual with a mailing address in North America or in any country that has not prohibited participation in frequent flyer programs, with the exception of countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent. If you change your mailing address to Europe, Africa, the Middle East or the Indian Subcontinent, you can no longer retain your WorldPerks membership. Instead, your account should be transferred to KLM's Flying Blue Program. Please contact the WorldPerks Service Center for information on how to convert your WorldPerks miles into Flying Blue miles.
I'm presuming this arrangement is part of the whole Joint Venture between the two carriers - and might change drastically if the Joint Venture agreement were not renewed in the coming years.

In my particular case, I joined from a US address, but the nature of my work is such that I might only find myself in the US once every few months and in KLM's service area most of the remainder of the time.

In briefly looking over the two programmes, FB's gold and platinum levels seem slightly easier to attain (outside France), but FB's site makes no mention of EUA-style upgrades that WP members seem so delighted with. On the other hand, FB has its "extended" mileage rollover (though starting at 115,000 miles when only 70,000 are required for platinum seems a bit odd), and "FB for life" benefit affter 10 years, which WP doesn't match - that I know of. And in either case, there are certain fare classes on certain partner airlines that hardly earn anything.

So, you intercontinental types... which did you choose and why?

Of course, I presume I can simply choose to maintain a mailing address on each continent, give whichever one I wish to whichever airline I choose, and pick up the mail whenever I'm in town, right?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I heard that WP members earn 100% on AF/KL flights while their members earn 25 on the lower priced Y flights. So I guess getting status on AF/KL seems more difficult.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:33 am

I originally joined WorldPerks using my Canadian address since the agreement did not allow me to join KLM's Flying Dutchman. However, I recently joined Flying Blue using my Canadian address as well, but through the Air France website.

Most of my flights are on KLM, and I've been attracted to FlyingBlue due to the lower and better elite thresholds for non-France/non-US members. However, I am still having a hard time letting go of WorldPerks since it has been my primary programme for so many years.

If you want to join FlyingBlue with a US address, you can do so through airfrance.us .
Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I heard that WP members earn 100% on AF/KL flights while their members earn 25 on the lower priced Y flights. So I guess getting status on AF/KL seems more difficult.
I think it is only V class that earns 25%, but I could be wrong. However, the main attraction for me in FB vs WP was the segments threshold for status, rather than the miles. In short-hop intra-european flights, this seemed to me to be the best way to go.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DanTravels
In briefly looking over the two programmes, FB's gold and platinum levels seem slightly easier to attain (outside France), but FB's site makes no mention of EUA-style upgrades that WP members seem so delighted with. On the other hand, FB has its "extended" mileage rollover (though starting at 115,000 miles when only 70,000 are required for platinum seems a bit odd), and "FB for life" benefit affter 10 years, which WP doesn't match - that I know of. And in either case, there are certain fare classes on certain partner airlines that hardly earn anything.
FB Elites do get EUA on NW, just as WP members do (except Plat companion). Both programs have + and - to them, it depends on your personal situation. I am still with FB since I get domestic NW lounge access for free.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
I am still with FB since I get domestic NW lounge access for free.
How's that work? I haven't read up a lot on lounge access.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:32 am

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
How's that work? I haven't read up a lot on lounge access.
FB Plat=Free lounge access incl guest. This works at ANY KL or WP club regardless of ticket or airline flown (I have been using this benefit the past 7 years and never once been denied). The downside is that CO Pres Club and Delta Crown room access is restricted to Skyteam ticket holders that are departing on a same day international flight.

This a copy of my post in the FB forum last week:

Detailed Comparison of FB vs WP

I know this has been discussed in several posts but there doesn't seem to be a definitive thread comparing all differences between FB and WP. I have had FB for about 6 years and since moving to NYC I am considering switching over to WP (if possible). I have compiled a list of pros and cons, I hope others will post program differences I have overlooked.

Benefits of staying with FB:

+Only need 70K to maintain Platinum as opposed to WP 75K
+Free lounge access to WorldClubs regardless of airline/ticket type.
+Not dropping more than one level/ year
+Webawards offering 50% off select destinations
+Earning 100% EQM on CO for fare classes Q, I, S, W, T, X, L as opposed to only 50% on WP
+Earning 100% EQM on KE as opposed to WP no EQMs
+Possibility to upgrade on KE
+MH F class earns 300% bonus as opposed to WP 50%
+Possibility upgrade KL fare classes S/B/X (WP only allows S/B)
+Gold members considered Sky Team Elite Plus (Gold=ST Elite on WP)
+Lifetime Plat after 10 years

+Earn 100% on some NW and DL fares that only earn 25% in WP and Skymiles
+Free internet access in KL Schiphol lounges

Benefits of switching to WP:

+125% Platinum Bonus as opposed to FB 100%
+Complimentary domestic upgrades on CO
+Ability to earn more miles through promotions such as Mile-a-Palooza, Platinum Points, Mile Dash
+Easier to book online resulting in online booking bonuses, check-in bonuses
+Easier to check online award and upgrade availability
+Ability to earn/spend on Hawaiian Airlines

I would also appreciate suggestions on whether to attempt a switch or not. I am leaning towards WP mostly because of the extra 25% Platinum bonus and all the other promotional bonuses. I have no use for Webawards and I don't really mind paying for lounge membership. I never get award tickets (I wouldn't requalify if I did) and mainly use miles for int'l upgrades.

A middle-of-the-road option might be WP Asia which seems to be more generous than the US version? (of course you would need to have a friend in Asia you could mail the membership card to).
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:09 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Elena, thanks for the information.

As you mentioned, WP Asia version allows Gold members to access
Northwest World Club lounge and several partner airlines' lounges too.
WP US version doesn't. I guess Northwest wants to grab Asian FF due to severe competitions in Asia. They also have focused on transpacific routes
for a long time.

I have returned to Korea since March. I used to fly with CO (Domestic) or KE (International) when I was in the US. I have collected KE/NW miles with CO nepass since CO/NW joined Skyteam. Now I am in Korea, NW World Perks seems to be best for me. Much better than KE Morning Calm or CO Onepass. But I have collected most of my miles either KE or CO. I should have not opend my CO Onepass account for the first time and sticked to NW WP. Unfortunately I had no idea whether NW and CO had very close relationship at the time.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, both of them sound good... if I were flying half as many miles again, perhaps I would try to be WP platinum and FB gold or better... but as it is, this year I will do just enough miles to make platinum on one or the other... and that's if I am able to stick to SkyTeam for all my travel in the 2nd half (which I hope will be the case).

I guess for now, I can't really claim to be a resident of somewhere other than the US50, since right now I've got an address there, a passport from there, a driving license from there, and so on. So I should probably work on getting status on WP first each year. The mailing address, alas, is probably the most challenging to maintain long-term... but I'll see what I can do!
Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:23 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Does anyone have practical experience with how a transfer from Worldperks to FlyingBlue would work? I called NW Worldperks today, and they said that it was possible, but that I should confirm with FB as to the status, credit for status on flights YTD, and mileage conversion rate (the agent mentioned that she thought I would only receive 1 FB point for every 2 WP miles!) before initiating the process. I called FB in the UK (where my new mailing address wil be), but without an FB number one can only listen to stock recordings, and is otherwise disconnected. The FAQ on the FB WWW page in the UK says that this is possible, if initiated by NW--which is the same as what NW told me. My questions are thus:
1. Does status carry over like-for-like? (I think yes)
2. Does credit to status year-to-date carry over?
3. At what ratio are points converted from Worldperks to FB?
Old Jun 9, 2006, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chalf
Does anyone have practical experience with how a transfer from Worldperks to FlyingBlue would work? I called NW Worldperks today, and they said that it was possible, but that I should confirm with FB as to the status, credit for status on flights YTD, and mileage conversion rate (the agent mentioned that she thought I would only receive 1 FB point for every 2 WP miles!) before initiating the process. I called FB in the UK (where my new mailing address wil be), but without an FB number one can only listen to stock recordings, and is otherwise disconnected. The FAQ on the FB WWW page in the UK says that this is possible, if initiated by NW--which is the same as what NW told me. My questions are thus:
1. Does status carry over like-for-like? (I think yes)
2. Does credit to status year-to-date carry over?
3. At what ratio are points converted from Worldperks to FB?
IMO: 1) yes 2) yes 3) 1:1 4) think about the change carefully!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
IMO: 1) yes 2) yes 3) 1:1 4) think about the change carefully!
Am I missing something on #4? Feel free to PM me if you would ratehr not post publicly.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, BA Gold, AF Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Plat
Question

Originally Posted by Elena

Benefits of staying with FB:

+Only need 70K to maintain Platinum as opposed to WP 75K
+Free lounge access to WorldClubs regardless of airline/ticket type.
+Not dropping more than one level/ year
+Webawards offering 50% off select destinations
+Earning 100% EQM on CO for fare classes Q, I, S, W, T, X, L as opposed to only 50% on WP
+Earning 100% EQM on KE as opposed to WP no EQMs
+Possibility to upgrade on KE
+MH F class earns 300% bonus as opposed to WP 50%
+Possibility upgrade KL fare classes S/B/X (WP only allows S/B)
+Gold members considered Sky Team Elite Plus (Gold=ST Elite on WP)
+Lifetime Plat after 10 years

+Earn 100% on some NW and DL fares that only earn 25% in WP and Skymiles
+Free internet access in KL Schiphol lounges
Is it still true that CO cheap fares (X class and the like) still get 100% level miles on FB? cheers
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:30 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by ultrasoul
Is it still true that CO cheap fares (X class and the like) still get 100% level miles on FB? cheers
My CO X-class flights earlier this month all earned 100% in FB...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:55 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So just asked FB to transfer mile few miles on them to my existing WP account, which worked easily. 1:1 ration. Apparently elite status also transfer.

Most would say that staying elite on the airline you fly most is best, since you have to interact with that airline.

Thought that the EUA on NW for FB elites was just an unofficial benefit...can just happen but not set out in any rules.

WP Asia offers free WC membership since Asian customers don't get much benefits from upgrades in the US. Seems like a fair trade off. Also have heard that if you try to double dip, ie have an Asian address but usually based somewhere else, their auditors will figure this out....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.