Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam options - London to Hyderabad

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:22 am
Original Poster

SkyTeam options - London to Hyderabad

Hi. I am new to FlyerTalk and a recent transplant from NYC to London. Delta Gold. I need to travel to Hyderabad and would like to use SkyTeam if possible. Unfortunately, there are no direct options that I can find.

Current plan - LHR to DEL (Virgin), separately booked local carrier to HYD
Other Options:
-- LHR - CDG - BOM - HYD (Air France)
-- LHR - AMS - BOM - HYD (KLM)

For now, I only foresee one annual trip to Hyderabad and therefore not worthwhile to switch to BA.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As a quick reminder, Virgin Atlantic is a Delta SkyMiles partner and JV partner but is not a member of SkyTeam.

One should be able to get Virgin Atlantic to DEL and onward to HYD on the same ticket. ITA Matrix shows it possible. There's even a Virgin-coded Jet Airways flight.

tinerary
London (LHR) to Hyderabad (HYD) — Wed, Sep 13
Overnight flight

London (LHR) to Delhi (DEL) — Wed, Sep 13
Virgin Atlantic 300
Dep: 9:50 pm
Arr: 10:55 am
8h 35m
Boeing 787
Economy (Q)
Dinner
Layover in DEL
Thu, Sep 14
2h 20m

Delhi (DEL) to Hyderabad (HYD) — Thu, Sep 14
Air India 104
Dep: 1:15 pm
Arr: 3:15 pm
2h 0m
Airbus A320
Economy (L)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
What 3Cforme said, that's exactly the way I'd go about it. While VS is not Skyteam, you will get most of your DL benefits on VS. One point though that is not clear is if you're get miles for the VS flight if it's not DL coded, they are subnoted (3) on the Skymiles site which says it has to be a DL marketed flight for mileage credit. (India's Jet airways is the same). The other big exception is lounge access if you're flying Economy. You can cover lounges with Priority Pass or Diners Club if desired.

Another data point, you mentioned there are no direct options from London in Skyteam. I think that goes without saying since LHR is a BA hub (OneWorld) and that's the only alliance carrier based anywhere in the UK and there is currently no Skyteam carrier in India either. Legacy carriers (meaning non-LCC) all operate a hub & spoke system from their home country. That means to stick to Skyteam to India you would need to look at the likes of KL, AF, and a bit further afield you have SV as well if you don't mind a dry airline. Indirect (connecting) flights are just a fact of life for most folks who want to stick to one alliance and don't live in one of the big hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.