Search

Skyteam: use miles to upgrade to business

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Skyteam: use miles to upgrade to business

Dear all,

I am planning to go from CDG to Sydney with my BF on November and back on January.
I am trying desperately to get a a nice and relaxing journey as it is 22 hours flight. (ie pay 1500 eur the ticket and use around 70000 miles to get into the business class )

Thus I called FB explaining my case and the lady on the phone told me that i need to pay 3700 eur the ticket + 65000 miles. OMFG!!!!! I just told her that the ticket that she was proposed was offered on china eastern for 2900 euros directly in business class .... almost a robbery

Does anyone has found a way to upgrade with miles /travel business to sydney at a reasonnable price with Skyteam ? as I suspect them to do everything to prevent you from using your miles

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
China Eastern is a member of SkyTeam. Buy the ticket to fly MU, but be careful about how many status and redeemable miles the fare will earn on FB and other SkyTeam programs.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:23 am

2,900€ is cheap as KL/AF quote this route in J starting at about 4,500€ and up...
Sometimes it just makes more sense to buy a cheap J ticket then try to get a relatively expensive Y class that is eligible for an upgrade...
Old May 6, 2016, 1:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Ditto
2,900€ is cheap as KL/AF quote this route in J starting at about 4,500€ and up...
Sometimes it just makes more sense to buy a cheap J ticket then try to get a relatively expensive Y class that is eligible for an upgrade...
Agreed although sometimes not possible (e.g. due to corporate economy only travel policies).
Old May 7, 2016, 8:48 am

Maybe look at Vietnam Airlines as an alternative; also Skyteam and with very good J ex CDG on A350 and pretty ok onward to SYD (777 , if I recall..maybe A330...but angled rather than the lie flat on the A350).
It's cheap in low season but the January return might bump up the fare as that's peak time ex Australia.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
e.g. due to corporate economy only travel policies.
That is of course a different story altogether
Old May 8, 2016, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
(

Thanks all for you advice

My companion refused to pay for business ....(i hate him). We finally went for
Outbound .: cdg to syd via hong kong (cheap and i will sleep)
Inbound: syd to cdg via shangai . Hoping to get the upgrade as it is q class booking fare.

At least i will enjoy lounge and privileged seats .... Better than nothing... But i ll tell u, FB customer service is quite not efficient at all.

To be continued :
Old May 17, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by beghita
Thanks all for you advice

My companion refused to pay for business ....(i hate him). We finally went for
Outbound .: cdg to syd via hong kong (cheap and i will sleep)
Inbound: syd to cdg via shangai . Hoping to get the upgrade as it is q class booking fare.

At least i will enjoy lounge and privileged seats .... Better than nothing... But i ll tell u, FB customer service is quite not efficient at all.

To be continued :
What's not efficient about it? I'm guessing the 3700 EUR difference + miles was due to you having a lower booking class reserved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.