Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX sold as CI consider as ST OR NOT?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

VX sold as CI consider as ST OR NOT?

SFO to JFK operate as VX34 however I bought it as a connection to TPE to SFO, issued and sold as CI9640.
so here is the question, can I earn miles to SKYTEAM like CZ or MU on this flight? If not which program can?
hate and love codeshare....
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
CI/VX only.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Unfortunately if you wanted the miles on another Skyteam carrier for that flight then you would have needed to fly that segment on DL.

I've seen this come up in the *A forum recently too where someone was arriving on ET then using VX instead of UA. I'm pretty perplexed as to why people who care about miles would do this when the have an alliance carrier flying the same route with higher frequency ... routing rules pretty much always allow the alliance partner, so is it an availability issue or do people just like VX that much better? (I've never flown VX due to the miles and status benefits issue so have no idea how their service is)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've seen this come up in the *A forum recently too where someone was arriving on ET then using VX instead of UA. I'm pretty perplexed as to why people who care about miles would do this when the have an alliance carrier flying the same route with higher frequency ... routing rules pretty much always allow the alliance partner, so is it an availability issue or do people just like VX that much better? (I've never flown VX due to the miles and status benefits issue so have no idea how their service is)
Not his problem.

CI recently ended most of it's codeshares with DL within North America. It seems like DL cannot reach an agreement with many of it's partnered airlines in Skyteam. Must be too cheap.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Unfortunately if you wanted the miles on another Skyteam carrier for that flight then you would have needed to fly that segment on DL.

CI cut 18 DL codeshare routes into 3 and no specific reason...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by rayfashion
SFO to JFK operate as VX34 however I bought it as a connection to TPE to SFO, issued and sold as CI9640.
so here is the question, can I earn miles to SKYTEAM like CZ or MU on this flight? If not which program can?
hate and love codeshare....
One cannot earn "SKYTEAM miles" as Skyteam doesn't have a miles program. Only airlines have miles programs.

What matters, for earning, is the operating airline - not the ticketed airline. VX is not a member of Skyteam. You can earn miles on VX's program. It is possible that you might be able to earn miles with one of VX's bilateral partners. Here is a list of them: https://www.virginamerica.com/cms/fl...line-partners/ You will need to check with each of those airlines to see which, if any, award miles for flights on VX.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Well, for Skyteam both operating and ticketing carrier matter because, unless your program of choice has special agreements, both airlines have to be Skyteam airlines for earing miles/points. That said, in Skyteam the amount of miles/points you earn is determined by the ticketing carrier according to the earning rules of your profram of choice.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Yes, ticketing carrier. This is different for Star Alliance, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.