Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Best program to redeem CZ China-US business/premium economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P

Now that CZ is going to operate WUH-SFO non-stop on 787 [1], as my parents live in WUH and I live around SFO, I'm considering stock some miles for them to visit me.

I don't really fly SkyTeam, so what's the best program I can stock by credit card spend or transferring SPG points to redeem CZ business or premium economy tickets? For credit cards I know there's Delta and Flying Blue (transfer partner of Citi ThankYou points), but I can't find flying blue award chart and have no idea whether it's easy to get CZ business or premium economy tickets from them.

[1] http://airlineroute.net/2014/09/04/cz-wuhsfo-dec14/
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I'm certain that Delta and FB are not Citi TYP transfer partners.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiima
I'm certain that Delta and FB are not Citi TYP transfer partners.
Delta is not, FB definitely is: https://www.thankyou.com/pointsTrans...itemId=1867357
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by fishywang
Now that CZ is going to operate WUH-SFO non-stop on 787 [1], as my parents live in WUH and I live around SFO, I'm considering stock some miles for them to visit me.

I don't really fly SkyTeam, so what's the best program I can stock by credit card spend or transferring SPG points to redeem CZ business or premium economy tickets? For credit cards I know there's Delta and Flying Blue (transfer partner of Citi ThankYou points), but I can't find flying blue award chart and have no idea whether it's easy to get CZ business or premium economy tickets from them.

[1] http://airlineroute.net/2014/09/04/cz-wuhsfo-dec14/
FlyingBlue's award chart is ridiculously difficult to find, not sure why they don't make it easier. In theory though, partner awards are generally equally available across the board to all alliance carriers. That "should" be the same if you use DL, CI, AF, etc., miles, it's been a little while but I remember generally CZ availability is pretty good. I forget how bad CZs fuel surcharges are but DL will be the one with the lowest fees if YQ exists, I don't think their mileage requirement is significantly different than other easy to transfer to programs.

As for credit card programs, you won't find more transfer partners than SPG but it's up to you and your spending habits if you can't do better points wise with other cards... any Amex MR card for example.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
http://www.flyingblue.com/award-tickets.html

Originally Posted by dvs7310
FlyingBlue's award chart is ridiculously difficult to find, not sure why they don't make it easier. In theory though, partner awards are generally equally available across the board to all alliance carriers. That "should" be the same if you use DL, CI, AF, etc., miles, it's been a little while but I remember generally CZ availability is pretty good. I forget how bad CZs fuel surcharges are but DL will be the one with the lowest fees if YQ exists, I don't think their mileage requirement is significantly different than other easy to transfer to programs.

As for credit card programs, you won't find more transfer partners than SPG but it's up to you and your spending habits if you can't do better points wise with other cards... any Amex MR card for example.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by SteamyUncle
Only covers from/to Europe unfortunately, heaven forbid anyone try to use FB miles from say directly Asia to Africa on KQ. (just one of a multitude of examples). I'm sure that somewhere out there exits a typical grid style award chart that covers to and from all zones but for whatever reason FB doesn't make it easy to view.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes I know despite CZ itself, availability should be mostly equal to all partners. I'm just trying to find out if the China-US route is a "sweet point" to any of the SkyTeam plans
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by fishywang
Thanks. Yes I know despite CZ itself, availability should be mostly equal to all partners. I'm just trying to find out if the China-US route is a "sweet point" to any of the SkyTeam plans
I strongly suspect that even if you find one that has a sweet spot, DL will still end up being the better deal, depending on how you value your miles/dollars. Just as an example if DL offers US to China R/T fro 120,000 miles in C and only has $50 in taxes added to the ticket, or let's say GA charges only 100,000 miles in C but has taxes and fuel surcharges of $650, I personally value the $600 in my bank account much higher than 20,000 extra miles. This is assuming that all other partners charge YQ for CZ which I believe is the case.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:37 am
Original Poster

I strongly suspect that even if you find one that has a sweet spot, DL will still end up being the better deal, depending on how you value your miles/dollars. Just as an example if DL offers US to China R/T fro 120,000 miles in C and only has $50 in taxes added to the ticket, or let's say GA charges only 100,000 miles in C but has taxes and fuel surcharges of $650, I personally value the $600 in my bank account much higher than 20,000 extra miles. This is assuming that all other partners charge YQ for CZ which I believe is the case.
Yes that makes sense. Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
If you use FB miles China-US on DL 100000 miles ow and taxes are around 50$ as well.
Award chart is difficult to find indeed for these flights but FB website award booking isn't that bad.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can't use DL miles for premium economy. DL doesn't offer it (as a separate cabin; DL does have the extra pitch EC seats that come with an extra fee for nonelites rather than separate fare classes), so your choices would be either low coach (where you could pay the EC fees, but it's not a real premium economy experience) or low business class award tickets. Who knows what availability will be for award tickets to/from Wuhan, but it's reportedly been good on the A380 CZ routes. Of course, you could also route the parents on connections through PVG, CAN, or PEK using CZ or MU with DL miles, including the DL flights exPVG or exPEK if desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.