Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Rant: seat selection

So, here I go with my rant.

One of the published benefits of Skyteam is the availability of premium seating for elites. Now:
- On AZ, their own elites have access to premium seats. Others need to pay.
- On AF/KL, their own own elites have access to premium seats. Others, if they are lucky and their FFP is recognized, get a discount. Let alone Economy Comfort seating!
- DL is the only airline still honoring E+ and letting other airline elites book economy comfort for free.

Honestly, how difficult can it be to do what DL is doing across the alliance?!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler and Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by raistlin

One of the published benefits of Skyteam is the availability of premium seating for elites. Now:
- On AF/KL, their own own elites have access to premium seats. Others, if they are lucky and their FFP is recognized, get a discount. Let alone Economy Comfort seating!
- DL is the only airline still honoring E+ and letting other airline elites book economy comfort for free.

AF is notorious for not only not allowing Delta Elite Plus passengers to book EC seats, but if one is lucky enough to manage that, AF removes that seat within 3 days of the flight and they said "sorry, it is all under airport control". Air France is a shame to the Sky Team alliance.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
There is no published ST benefit for "premium seats". There is one for "preferred seating".
Obviously this does not mean that you can choose Business Class if you have an Economy ticket. Similarly, you cannot expect to fly Premium Economy on AF if you have an Economy ticket.
Same applies to KL's Eco Comfort.
If DL decides to extend benefits to members of other FFPs, they are free to do so, but there is no Skyteam rule or benefit that would call for it.
So the OP's rant is based on a misunderstanding.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by calin_z

AF is notorious for not only not allowing Delta Elite Plus passengers to book EC seats, but if one is lucky enough to manage that, AF removes that seat within 3 days of the flight and they said "sorry, it is all under airport control". Air France is a shame to the Sky Team alliance.
AF does not offer EC seats.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
There is no published ST benefit for "premium seats". There is one for "preferred seating".
I would suggest you to re-read my message. AF/KL (and AZ) deny access to PREFERRED SEATS, as well as EC seat in the case of KL, to other elites.

I never mentioned Economy+ (Premium Voyageur, Classica Plus) as I know very well these to be different classes of service.

My rant stands there, unsullied. Our published benefit is worth nothing except on DL.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, OK Gold, TK Elite
Delta only gives away Economy Comfort to STE+ on flights within North America. On international flights only their own platinums and diamonds and Flying Blue Platinums get these seats for free. Delta's higher medallions on the other hand get EC on KLM as a published benefit. No freebies for Elite+ for seats requiring extra charge...
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:05 pm

I would suggest you to re-read my message. AF/KL (and AZ) deny access to PREFERRED SEATS, as well as EC seat in the case of KL, to other elites.

I never mentioned Economy+ (Premium Voyageur, Classica Plus) as I know very well these to be different classes of service.

My rant stands there, unsullied. Our published benefit is worth nothing except on DL.
You have misunderstood the difference between selecting your seat and getting a different type of seat in a higher category. The latter is not a ST benefit.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; it) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

So, your point is that the benefit we are getting is "we can select a seat", just like anybody else?

I didn't understand fully the concept of "apologist" until today.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:23 am

If you consider me an apologist, my answer to your question will not be useful for you anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; it) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Make me retract that with a non-apologist answer Objectively: what's the benefit of "preferred seating" if it excludes any seat with extra legroom?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:05 am

Make me retract that with a non-apologist answer Objectively: what's the benefit of "preferred seating" if it excludes any seat with extra legroom?
That you can sit closer to the front, won't have a middle seat, can choose between window/aisle and it's easier to get your partner seated next to you. 4 reasons.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:58 am
Original Poster

That you can sit closer to the front, won't have a middle seat, can choose between window/aisle and it's easier to get your partner seated next to you. 4 reasons.
You must be kidding. That's all true also if you don't hold status.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:53 pm

You get priority. That's what the "preferred" in preferred seating is about.
But I would agree that this ST benefit has become less and less relevant since more and more airlines now allow you to choose your seat at the time of booking, or via the internet before check-in, or at least via internet check-in. This benefit comes from the pre-internet days and used to be extremely useful. Nowadays it really depends on the airlines's general seat policy whether this makes a big difference. It in any case it is still very useful when you have short-notice bookings or flight changes and hate middle seats, as I do, or suddenly have a tight connection and need a seat in the frot to make your next flight.

Last edited by cityflyer369; Apr 28, 2013 at 12:58 pm
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:10 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Well, if this means all SP pax get the already existing preferred seat for FREE (cough KLM cough), that would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.