Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Renting Golf GTI/R in Germany/Austria

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

Hoping to get a little more concrete info as to whether I can rent a Golf GTI/R/S3 for a trip over the course of a few days starting in Munich and finishing up in Vienna (if it's cheaper/easier might just do a round trip back to Munich).

Through the Sixt website I can get a M4 - which is obviously a bit more expensive again. However, I can't seem to find any details around email addresses where I could talk to an agent about this as I really would like some assurance I can get something reasonably good (I'm coming from Australia and anything German and good costs quite a lot of money!)

Would appreciate if there are any official reps on the board replying, or if anyone has had any experiences.

Thanks
Brendan
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

A GTI is on the CPMR class. Not sure what the R is in.
How about SSMR BMW 2 series or Audi TT?
Btw compare the Australian Sixt website against .com .co.uk and maybe the .de and the Canadian one. Sometimes the prices are different
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, .de seems a bit cheaper.

Wouldn't mind the 220i, but figure I'm probably not going to get a chance to drive a M4 anytime soon, so will probably just go for that =)

Changed the trip from Munich to Berlin>Vienna. So looking forward to this!
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by blitzen
Btw compare the Australian Sixt website against .com .co.uk and maybe the .de and the Canadian one. Sometimes the prices are different
By booking through the .de or co.uk website, Sixt may ask for a German/European driving licence or proof of European address.
Normally they do not hasle about, but they might do so.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

They never did and my US address in on file.

Where does it say that you have to reside in the country?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Brendan Feldwick
Yeah, .de seems a bit cheaper.

Wouldn't mind the 220i, but figure I'm probably not going to get a chance to drive a M4 anytime soon, so will probably just go for that =)

Changed the trip from Munich to Berlin>Vienna. So looking forward to this!
One way international rental with a special car is not going to work out I think (for a normal car there is already a 150 € fee).
And remember, you can't drive thru Czech Republic with a M4 (most direct way from Berlin to Vienna).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:04 am

Berlin to Vienna .... Drive down to the closest Sixt/Train station on German soil and pay 20 euro one way fee. Then just take the train to Vienna
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Luxury cars like M3 / M4 / M5 / M6 belong to specific Sixt offices and can't be taken one way. You can of course leave it at the Sixt Station of your choice, but they will then charge you for getting the car back to Berlin.

Also keep in mind, you will have a deposit of 2600 € blocked on your credit card when renting any M car.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I realise I'd be paying extra - got a specific route on the way to Vienna so not going through any countries other than Germany/Austria. The reason for driving in Austria was to sample some of the decent mountain roads there.

I've played around with the various websites and there isn't actually much of a difference now just going from the AU website, so I think I will do that.

If there are any issues/special conditions I am hoping Sixt will contact me directly once I've put forward the request.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:45 am

Sometimes .de .cu.uk .com vary a lot and at other times they are almost the same.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Return the ( BMW 2 series or so) car in Munich and then top it off with a couple of days M4 . By the time you get the M you are used to German roads and drivers and will be able to enjoy it. Then just fly out of Munich
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Anyone know what 2 series variant they offer in Germany?

Be nice if it was the 228i...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
I rented an M4 last year and did a 6 country tour over 2 weeks. It was worth every penny. No problem at any borders other than border patrol posing for the gopro on the windshield. SIXT didn't question anything about my drivers license, I did have an international drivers license just in case.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:40 am

I'd like to start a definitive "fun car" thread here to know where and what is available. Many a time have I asked this question only to end up in a wretched A3 Sport Line with 122 ps...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster

I know what you mean. I wanted to get a Focus when I was first visiting Melbourne and ended up in a Getz. Okay, the Focus is nothing special, but that Getz..ugh!

Anyway, I am going with the 2 series as the M4 was going to be too pricey with the addtional kilometers. Hopefully I'll be back in Germany in 2016 and can hire the M4 then.

Cross fingers that I actually get a 228i instead of a bog standard Scirocco, or worse still, an A3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.