Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Got "flashed" at a speed camera in Switzerland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, UA-Gold, *A-Gold

I know we were caught speeding with a speed camera between Zurich and Schaffhausen in October. I don't need to be told about how I shouldn't speed in Switzerland, etc. I just need to know what to expect from Sixt and the Swiss government.

I know Sixt already transmitted my info because I got charged an "admin" fee recently on the same credit card I used to make the rental. (Something similar happened with Hertz in Italy when I had "crossed the divider line" on a road to get to a gas station outside Florence...camera caught it). Anyway, in that situation, I didn't KNOW I got snapped and didn't understand the Hertz fee...about 4 months later I get a letter from the City of Firenze my fine, a picture of what I did and that they accept Mastercard and Visa. Paid it.

How long does it take the Swiss government to send me a bill for the fine? Is this just a money grabber and since they can't prove who was driving and no physical human pulled me over (which I know they do in Switzerland at some camera locations); if I pay the fine timely, then no worries?

Or will I be banned from renting from Sixt or driving in CH? Does any FTer our there have any experience with this? I don't plan on going back to CH anytime soon...but I would hate to lose Sixt as my European rental agency of choice.

Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Expect to get something in the mail within four weeks. I would pay the fine, otherwise the renter will be put on the control list and stopped at Swiss border or police controls (and stay on that list for a long time). Expect to spend at least $50-100 but possibly a lot more, depending on how fast you were.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
oh, and the rental car companies dont care IMHO - maybe if this happens a lot they will but not on single instances
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I planned on paying it, just like the Italy ticket I got in 2008. Just don't like speed cameras...very un-American.

I know it could have been worse though. My cousin who lives in Konstanz who travels to Switzerland a lot says that if a live police officer was there he could demand payment immediately, impound car, etc. So, I know I was lucky; but still. Don't like them.

- HF
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:43 am
BMK

Programs: British Airways Blue, Virgin Flying Club Silver, Sixt Platinum, Hertz Gold
I agree with the above and would pay it - the Swiss have a habit of remembering these things.

I've been caught a few times and always paid the fine.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
I got flashed in France over a year ago. Hertz hit me with the admin fee for handing over my details to the authorities, but after that I never heard a thing.

I, too, was shocked at the presence of un-American speed cameras in Europe.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by User Name
I, too, was shocked at the presence of un-American speed cameras in Europe.
Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm wondering what is 'un-American' speed cameras? Could anyone please tell me? I live in Europe and I do travel to the US and rent a car and drive about once a year.

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by nacho
Sorry to hijack the thread, I'm wondering what is 'un-American' speed cameras? Could anyone please tell me? I live in Europe and I do travel to the US and rent a car and drive about once a year.

Thanks.
LOL - I have no idea. I was just taking the piss regarding the earlier post...!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The american speed cameras I've seen sit on top of SUVs in the middle of the freeway. Maybe the poster has not seen cameras in the US? I think the European system is quite fair - they tell you with a big sign and publish the locations in the newspaper. My only quibble is that the speed limits are often changes with only very small signage, so it's easy to get caught doing 125km when the zone suddenly changes from 130 to 110.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho

Thanks.
When Americans use the word "un-American" it usually refers to the freedoms we like to think we have in abundance in America and sometimes we like to think are "unique" to America.

Some people would refer to not being able to purchase a firearm (regardless of it being unfettered or with restrictions) as "un-American".

Socialized Medicine like our neighbors in Canada is considered "un-American".

Being able to have restrictions of "free speech" and "freedom of religion" as "un-American"; etc.

Anything that contradicts our Constitution and Bill of Rights might be considered "un-American" or something as simple as, at a restaurant during Thanksgiving, not being able to have Apple Pie on Thanksgiving is considered "un-American".

As per speed camera and driving. Americans, in general, hate "big brother". They don't like being spied on, they don't like government being on "their backs". In general, if it is not hurting anyone, leave us alone (very libertarian concept). However, they will accept a police officer, pulling you over and writing you up for a ticket for simple speeding where no one's lives are in imminent danger. However, an unmanned CAMERA doing the same thing, an American would look at it as an intrusion, big brother, an excuse to shake people down for money. The only place that had camera like this for speed was in Phoenix, AZ where they were recently removed when it was shown that it was just a money grab by a private company that convinced the local government to lease out the system. Also, the system had large flaws. Also, in our American Constitution you have the right to face your accuser in a court of law...with a camera, there isn't an accuser, you cannot challenge an inanimate object.

I am summarizing, obviously and don't want an odious debate about it.

We do have cameras here in America for red lights, but not speed. So the concept of a speed camera to an American is "un-American" and wouldn't fly here in America.

- HF
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
The american speed cameras I've seen sit on top of SUVs in the middle of the freeway. Maybe the poster has not seen cameras in the US? I think the European system is quite fair - they tell you with a big sign and publish the locations in the newspaper. My only quibble is that the speed limits are often changes with only very small signage, so it's easy to get caught doing 125km when the zone suddenly changes from 130 to 110.
There is probably a police officer in the car and it is most likely radar and not a camera.

As to the European system being "fair" because they post it in the newspaper...well it is not fair if you are a visitor, don't read the paper and don't speak the native language.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
There is probably a police officer in the car and it is most likely radar and not a camera.

As to the European system being "fair" because they post it in the newspaper...well it is not fair if you are a visitor, don't read the paper and don't speak the native language.
Fair is obviously in the mind of the beholder as I would think it fair if one had the IQ to understand the concept of speed limit and fine and if that speed limit was clearly posted. How the enforcement occurs doesn't strike me as being either fair or unfair. And I am speaking as one who reasonably frequently gets pinged by these pesky cameras.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Fair is obviously in the mind of the beholder as I would think it fair if one had the IQ to understand the concept of speed limit and fine and if that speed limit was clearly posted. How the enforcement occurs doesn't strike me as being either fair or unfair. And I am speaking as one who reasonably frequently gets pinged by these pesky cameras.
Actually cameras have been and are being removed in the U.S. It is considered unfair for the car owner to be penalized for someone else speeding. THis is considered a violation of rights (Guilty until proven innocent) Furthermore studies are proving that they do not increase safety just a back door tax. If I remember Arizona and parts of California have done away with speed and Red Light cameras.
People were being sent fines in the mail for their cars running red lights if their tires were on the white line when stopped for the light. This might be unknown to the car owner who would pay the fine when really nothing wrong had been done by person driving
Lastly the companies were billing people directly not through any government function the company would collect the fine and split the monet with the government with no real oversight.

Those things made it "unamerican".
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Come to California... speed cameras are actually illegal in our fair state.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I saw three cars in front of me flashed driving Luzern-Zurich... good advance notice to slow down. In Switzerland I wouldn't go faster than 4 or 5 km/h over speed limit. Most modern cars have a limit feature that helps in this instance if you don't want to set cruise control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.