Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

SIXT Sweden (Skavsta) - Absolute Nightmare Experience best to avoid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIXT Sweden (Skavsta) - Absolute Nightmare Experience best to avoid

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum
Thumbs down SIXT Sweden (Skavsta) - Absolute Nightmare Experience best to avoid

Hello fellow forum members,

Just wanted to write a few words about a very recent nightmare experience I have had with Sixt in Sweden. Before I being, I'd like to highlight that Sixt operates a franchise in this country - meaning that the businesses carry Sixt Branding but they're not corporate owned. In the eyes of the customer it is all the same - and this experience has been a complete let down and definitely has damaged the brand's name in my eyes. In summary:
  • Was handed a car with a 40 cm expanding crack on the windscreen and was told that it was no big deal
  • Got a downgrade when I said I was unhappy with the safety and condition that the car was given to me
  • Caused minor aesthetic damage to the car, and was made to pay for 'lost rental days' which in fact turned out to be days in which the car was not being rented and could be repaired...

Please read on if you're interested to know more...

On the 30th September I landed in Skavsta airport ready to pick up a FSAR (BMW 320d GT) to go on a holiday with family. There were no unpleasant surprises (nor thrills) until I got onto the car and drove it out of the parking lot - there was a big (>40 cm) crack on the windscreen on the driver side in the middle of the field of vision. Driving with an expanding crack in front of your eyes is extremely frustrating to say the least and somewhat dangerous in the worst of scenarios; thus it was my intent to exchange the car if only I could find the Sixt representative who had closed the service desk and gone to 'back office' (didn't know where that was). I had to leave in a hurry and pick some people up at Stockholm Arlanda airport and I thought I could exchange it there but that's when I was told that Sixt was a franchise and that they would rather I handled this with Skavsta.

That was fine, fortunately two days later I was headed that way and went by their branch to exchange the car for a downgrade (MB C180 Estate, Petrol). This was OK and a refund was negotiated without a heated argument; however I had returned the cracked windscreen car (BMW 320d GT) with a new scratch on the bodywork just above the rear driver side wheel and this is where the fun begins.

1. I receive an invoice yesterday mentioning I should pay the full excess 8500 SEK (~700 GBP).

2. Upon further inquiry, I find that this is based on an estimated value and not on actual costs incurred for the repair of the scratch.

3. I also find that the estimation has been made as follows: 5000 SEK for scratch repair and 3500 SEK for 'lost rental days' thus making up the full excess.

Here's what I don't understand - why would a scratch cause 'lost rental days'? Surely the car had to be repaired anyway due to the huge windscreen crack - surely this should be a cost associated with the previous renter who cracked the windscreen.

After enquiring about this, the response I get is 'If the bookings ahead allows us we always takes the car straight for repair even if its drivable so we lose 3-4 rental days on the repaircentre for this car'. So essentially the 'lost rental days' are effectively 'non rental days that the customer will pay for anyway'.

Another response which amazes me was why they thought it was sound judgement to give me a damaged car. The response was 'The rental before you cracked it and the customer is charged for that. It came back late so we didn’t have the time to change the windscreen before your arrival to Skavsta. It was also the only car we had that matched the car group that you booked so we had to take it anyway.'. I guess flexibility is not their thing... How could they have possible thought of upgrading or downgrading with refund so that all of this could've been avoided in the first place?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Xinola

Just wanted to write a few words about a very recent nightmare experience I have had with Sixt in Sweden. Before I being, I'd like to highlight that Sixt operates a franchise in this country - meaning that the businesses carry Sixt Branding but they're not corporate owned. In the eyes of the customer it is all the same - and this experience has been a complete let down and definitely has damaged the brand's name in my eyes. In summary:
  • Was handed a car with a 40 cm expanding crack on the windscreen and was told that it was no big deal
  • Got a downgrade when I said I was unhappy with the safety and condition that the car was given to me
  • Caused minor aesthetic damage to the car, and was made to pay for 'lost rental days' which in fact turned out to be days in which the car was not being rented and could be repaired...

On the 30th September I landed in Skavsta airport ready to pick up a FSAR (BMW 320d GT) to go on a holiday with family. There were no unpleasant surprises (nor thrills) until I got onto the car and drove it out of the parking lot - there was a big (>40 cm) crack on the windscreen on the driver side in the middle of the field of vision. Driving with an expanding crack in front of your eyes is extremely frustrating to say the least and somewhat dangerous in the worst of scenarios; thus it was my intent to exchange the car if only I could find the Sixt representative who had closed the service desk and gone to 'back office' (didn't know where that was). I had to leave in a hurry and pick some people up at Stockholm Arlanda airport and I thought I could exchange it there but that's when I was told that Sixt was a franchise and that they would rather I handled this with Skavsta.

That was fine, fortunately two days later I was headed that way and went by their branch to exchange the car for a downgrade (MB C180 Estate, Petrol). This was OK and a refund was negotiated without a heated argument; however I had returned the cracked windscreen car (BMW 320d GT) with a new scratch on the bodywork just above the rear driver side wheel and this is where the fun begins.

1. I receive an invoice yesterday mentioning I should pay the full excess 8500 SEK (~700 GBP).

2. Upon further inquiry, I find that this is based on an estimated value and not on actual costs incurred for the repair of the scratch.

3. I also find that the estimation has been made as follows: 5000 SEK for scratch repair and 3500 SEK for 'lost rental days' thus making up the full excess.

Here's what I don't understand - why would a scratch cause 'lost rental days'? Surely the car had to be repaired anyway due to the huge windscreen crack - surely this should be a cost associated with the previous renter who cracked the windscreen.

After enquiring about this, the response I get is 'If the bookings ahead allows us we always takes the car straight for repair even if its drivable so we lose 3-4 rental days on the repaircentre for this car'. So essentially the 'lost rental days' are effectively 'non rental days that the customer will pay for anyway'.

Another response which amazes me was why they thought it was sound judgement to give me a damaged car. The response was 'The rental before you cracked it and the customer is charged for that. It came back late so we didn’t have the time to change the windscreen before your arrival to Skavsta. It was also the only car we had that matched the car group that you booked so we had to take it anyway.'. I guess flexibility is not their thing... How could they have possible thought of upgrading or downgrading with refund so that all of this could've been avoided in the first place?
Regarding reservations and availability, this is common practice at all rental companies, not just Sixt. Cars might be available or not. It is about supply and demand which often cannot be predicted due to walk-ins or last minute reservations. Having a backup reservation with another agency can avoid this issue.

About your damage issue, contact Sixt customer service and check other rental car threads. Others have been in similar issues with other companies.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:57 pm

I do sympathise. In my experience, Sixt are more likely to downgrade you, or give you an estate/people carrier and call both some kind of upgrade.

I would like to take the opportunity to remind everyone that hiring a car involves giving a company your credit details and full permission to charge almost what they like to it, in a wide range of scenarios.

The contracts, while boring to read, do more-or-less state that. These days, I see car hire as a risk over anything else (e.g. convenience, fun), and avoid it whenever possible.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:16 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Originally Posted by Xinola

Hi Xinola,
Please send me a PM with your reservation number & I will assist where I can.
Best regards,
Emily

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.