Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Transit Hotel at Changi - construction work at T2 AND T1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does it matter any more?

I know there's ongoing construction work at the Transit Hotel in T2, but a friend got a booking confirmation from them for a room at T1. The confirmation has a note :

Singapore Changi Airport Terminal One is undergoing upgrading works throughout day and night till mid Year 2011.
How much of an issue is this if staying at the transit hotel in T1? Do they have specific hours when the work is done?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have the same question. Hopefully someone who has used the transit hotel in T1 recently can help.

Is it possible to arrive at terminal 1 and get to the transit hotel in terminal 3 without passing through immigration?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stripe
Is it possible to arrive at terminal 1 and get to the transit hotel in terminal 3 without passing through immigration?
Yes. You can move around between T1-T2-T3 without clearing immigration.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Does anyone have any experience with the budget rooms in T1? The ones without a private bath. I just tried to book for later this week. They said their standard rooms are full but they confirmed me in a budget room in T1.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 9:43 am
Original Poster

From 9-10 yrs ago, this was a room with a bed and tv minus the bath that accompanies the other rooms. Good for a short sleep.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Stripe
Does anyone have any experience with the budget rooms in T1? The ones without a private bath. I just tried to book for later this week. They said their standard rooms are full but they confirmed me in a budget room in T1.
You can always try to upgrade to a Standard Room at check-in.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:35 pm

Can we get into Transit Hotel after clearing immigration?

We're arriving into Changi at 11:30pm and will be catching a 9am flight out the next morning. We booked the flights separately so we'll have to pick up our bags, which means clearing customs/immigration. Will we be able to go right back into Changi and check into the Transit Hotel immediately?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by whatup
We're arriving into Changi at 11:30pm and will be catching a 9am flight out the next morning. We booked the flights separately so we'll have to pick up our bags, which means clearing customs/immigration. Will we be able to go right back into Changi and check into the Transit Hotel immediately?
Only if you already have (or can get) the boarding pass for your 9 am flight.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:57 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by whatup
... so we'll have to pick up our bags, which means clearing customs/immigration.
Why? Depending on who you're flying with and from where-to-where, they may/should be able to check the bags through for you. Are you flying the same airline into/out of Changi or are they part of the same alliance? Key issue is whether the airlines concerned have an interline baggage agreement and whether you can convince the first airline to check the bags through onto your separate PNR on the second airline.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:07 pm

We're flying in on UA and taking Air Asia the next morning. We bought separate tickets so don't think they'll transfer our baggage. Do you think we can do AirAsia Web check-in and get our luggage accepted by a transfer counter at Changi when we arrive (we expect Air Asia will not be open at midnight)? Will we be able to print boarding passes if we do Web check in?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:11 am

The problem is, you'll have to pass through immigration to get to the luggage carousels. You can't pass back through immigration to the transit area (and the hotel) without a boarding pass for your onward flight. AirAsia is not one of the airlines that provides early check in at Changi. Others in this forum have described trouble getting through immigration with a boarding pass printed on the web.

Your best bet is to have what you need for that night in your carry-on, go straight to the transit hotel, and sleep. Then get up in time to go out to the luggage area, retrieve your luggage, go to the departure hall, check in with Air Asia and proceed back through security and immigration to your gate. Again, others in this forum go into the luggage thing in more detail. They say your luggage will be waiting for you even if it's hours after your flight arrives.

And if that doesn't work for you, then pick up your luggage when you arrive and stay at the Crowne Plaza right on the airport grounds. A covered walkway connects it to terminal 3, where your UA flight will arrive.

Also, note that your UA flight will arrive at terminal 3 and your AirAsia flight will depart terminal 1. You'll need to factor that into your plans.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 5:39 pm

That's the same conclusion we've reached i.e. we'll go straight to the Transit Hotel and sleep. We also figured Changi is probably the only airport we'll be comfortable leaving our luggage unclaimed overnight. Glad to know others have done that without problems. One other question: we paid extra for the upgradeable tickets (to Business class). Last I checked 11 of the 52 biz class seats were sold and there were 4 ahead of us in the wait list. Any tips for increasing our chances of getting the upgrade? UA's new system of significantly higher fares for upgradeability increases the chance of paying almost double the econ fare for the same econ seat, if you don't get an upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:03 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Final Definitive Answer as of yesterday

Nothing has changed. My transfer to Air Asia did not include my lost bag.
  1. get off plane and check in at transit hotel
  2. After time in transit hotel and wandering around terminal (if necessary due to departure time) Remember Air Asia checks in 2 hours before the flight and closes 45 before
  3. go through immigration, if in terminal 1 argue with uninformed immigration agent that, yes indeed, Air Asia departs from Terminal 1 not the LCCT (Low Cost Terminal)
  4. go to baggage claim, if in terminal 1lost and found is at the far right end. Just follow the signs, do not exit this area until you have retrieved your luggage. Take a seat in front of the desk and present your claim stub, they will get your bag
  5. exit through the appropriate customs lane, red or green
  6. proceed to terminal one and go upstairs to departures
  7. Air Asia uses row 11 for check-in, consolidated at least at 1130.
  8. Go through emigration

Should you have extra time before check-in be sure to use the train, runs from 5 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. between terminals to enhance your Changi shopping experience. Be sure to put a swim suit in your carry one should you desire to use the free pool and health club. I noted no construction noise yesterday morning, but, at least in terminal 1, stairs or elevator reach the baggage area.

My NW flight had 11 in business. Load factors are abysmal NRT-SIN. I cannot speak for UA, but based on the numbers, I expect that you will clear the upgrade list.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:33 am

OK looks like from what you guys are saying:
arrival on UA will be at Term 3
overnight in Transit Hotel (also Term 3) - probably from midnight til 6am (or maybe we should splurge for another hour if we have enough time for sleep)
pick up luggage from lost&found in Term 3 - assume that's where UA left luggage will be - correct?
clear customs/immigration
go to Term 1 and check in at Air Asia

so, do you think we'll have enough time if we stay in Transit Hotel until 7am or should we get going at 6am?
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
You state that you have a 9 a.m. flight on FD. Air Asia check in opens 2 hours before departure. What do you plan to do from 6 until 7? Bag pickup is usually fast, immigration never in my experience more than 5 minutes. I would stay until 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.