Search

Chilli Crabs and other street food ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:26 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Chilli Crabs and other street food ...

I have been placed in charge of research by "'er indoors" for our upcoming inaugaral trip to Singapore. 5 glorious days.

At the top of the list is my first task to find the best chilli crabs. I recognise that there are not going to be too many dissapointments - but is there anywhere with a particular name for Chilli Crabs? We're staying at Burgis if that helps?

Our real obsession is to learn as much about street food as we can during our limited time and also local cafe's etc ie where the locals go. I've printed off and stuck together Makansutra "Hawker Legends". Is that guide considered reliable? Are there any particular hot spots for street food or is the answer simply "everywhere is good"?

Any favourites really appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: NW,SQ
'Makansutra' by KF Seetoh is a very reliable guide to good Singapore food.
I am not too sure which is the best Chili Crab joint in SG but the ones at Newton are overated, but still tasty. I would recommend Black Pepper Crab.

Also don't forget other SG or delicious food that are synonymous with the region, like chicken rice,roti john, sop tulang,char kuay teow, carrot cake, nasi lemak , dosai , fish head curry,BBQ Stingray etc etc.

Good places will be Maxwell Road Food Centre, Serangoon ( Little India ), Adam Road Food Centre,Beach Road Food Centre, Bedok Market, Bedok North Ave 4 Market and the list goes on and on...

Check out www.makansutra.com or at yahoo.com.sg just type in "Singapore Food' at the search field.

Cheers!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: NW,SQ
Sorry .. if you are staying at the Bugis area there are several good eating places in the vicinity, I think there is a restaurant that serves good seafood at the 7th Storey Hotel. Opposite Bugis Junction,( along the road heading up to City Hall, Chijmes) there are several eating establishments located there. Further up south you will head up Beach Road there are several eating options up and down in both directions.

Explore and discover...

Cheers!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:41 pm

There are several tv programs or newspaper columns that would provide list of recommendations... But I have not kept up with the latest development in terms of where to go for good food... Because, i only do mcDonalds, KFC or burger king for now... I'm only kidding...

Here is a website that u can try... Look up a location... And go for those with the most recommendations... Oh, and one way to tell which stall to look out for once u are at the hawker centre, it is likely to be the one with a queue... That is how the local go around looking for good food without a guide... Or at least, that is how i do it...

http://www.sbestfood.com/location1.html

In Bugis Street area,
http://www.sbestfood.com/beach.htm
http://www.sbestfood.com/victoriast.htm

In Chinatown area,
http://www.sbestfood.com/maxwell.htm
http://www.sbestfood.com/newbridge.htm
http://www.sbestfood.com/outram.htm

In Geyland area,
http://www.sbestfood.com/geylang.htm
http://www.sbestfood.com/oldairport.htm
http://www.sbestfood.com/tanjongkatong.htm

Last edited by SingaPaul; Dec 17, 2007 at 12:46 pm
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:19 pm
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Many thanks for the ideas and links - very much appreciated. The trouble is my mouth is watering .......
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:54 am

Hi UK1, looks like we could be in SIN at the same time!
My favourite places to eat in SIN are Lau Pa Sat, Newton Circus, Glutton Bay on the Esplanade East Coast Seafood Centre (sorry no Tesco deals at any of these places ) and one of the big hotels for the Sunday Champagne Brunch - last time we did the Fullerton which was great. The food I must have each visit includes Laksa, Satay, Black pepper or Chilli Crab, Murtabak and Char Kuay Teow. Haven't had Chicken Rice for years -might try it again this time.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:56 am
uk1
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Hi UK1, looks like we could be in SIN at the same time!
My favourite places to eat in SIN are Lau Pa Sat, Newton Circus, Glutton Bay on the Esplanade East Coast Seafood Centre (sorry no Tesco deals at any of these places ) and one of the big hotels for the Sunday Champagne Brunch - last time we did the Fullerton which was great. The food I must have each visit includes Laksa, Satay, Black pepper or Chilli Crab, Murtabak and Char Kuay Teow. Haven't had Chicken Rice for years -might try it again this time.
You just have enough time to get a copy of Not Just a Food Guide - Singapore! I've been poring over this and I guess some men have smutty pictures and I have food books. Doesn't make me fat - just interested! I like strong flavours and Chicken Rice sounds a little neutral - but having got my Makansutra map stuck together with tape - I like the look of Gluttons Bay. To be frank I like the idea of their ................

Exclusive dining experience
Pamper your food buddies with a unique & exclusive street food dining experience.

A special seating arrangement will be provided for you to enjoy the magnificent skyline view and the Makansutra-rated street food. And for the night, there will be no queuing up for food, no messy cutlery, individual table settings, changing flatware (chinaware & porcelain), special platting & unique presentation of the food, a reserved table, waiter service, dedicated service staff, water refill & our Makansutra food host!
The idea of a sedantary experience sounds unusual ......... but I e-mailed them and they'll do the full works only if there's a group but offer a "we'll throw it in the middle of the table and you help yourself option" for couples to join larger tables which seems to defeat the object.

So I'll do the tourist point and beg bit!

Thanks for the PM and enjoy your visit.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:16 am

For crab we have been going to Jumbo at the East Coast Seafood Centre but others recommend other restaurants. Another great dining experience if you like Indian food is the Banana Leaf Apollo on Racecourse Rd -dig in with your fingers eating off a banana leaf ^. There is also Sammy's at Dempsey Rd - also delicious but more low key.
The other hotels where we've had the Sunday champagne lunch were the Four Seasons and the IC both also excellent but it does tend to write off the rest of the day.
I am sure you will enjoy the food wherever you eat in Singapore.
Enjoy your trip
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
The food I must have each visit includes Laksa, Satay, Black pepper or Chilli Crab, Murtabak and Char Kuay Teow.
Where do you go for murtabak? I haven't had them since we were in the Cameron Highlands oh so many years ago.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Where do you go for murtabak?
I certainly can't speak for quitecontrary, but Sweet Willie introduced me to Zam Zam near the mosque a few SIN run's ago - and it's quite good!!

Best, Dave
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:43 pm

Dave, I'm happy to hear from you any time - and I have a 2003 note in my file from transpac who mentioned Zam Zam, so you've given me current affirmation.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Where do you go for murtabak? I haven't had them since we were in the Cameron Highlands oh so many years ago.
You'll also find it at several of the hawker centres. I don't recall all where I've seen it, but I've definitely had murtabak at Tiong Bahru, Gluttons Bay, Lau Pa Sat & Newton.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by cawhite
I've definitely had murtabak at Tiong Bahru, Gluttons Bay, Lau Pa Sat & Newton.
Sounds great. I'm staying at Le Meridien for the first time on my upcoming trip. Are any of those hawkers centers within walking distance? Or is Tam Tam?
Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Sounds great. I'm staying at Le Meridien for the first time on my upcoming trip. Are any of those hawkers centers within walking distance? Or is Tam Tam?
If you walk out to Orchard Road and walk towards OG Department Store (i.e. away from the Istana) take the second side road and walk down towards Holiday Inn. I believe there are a couple of Indian Muslim stalls (which usually serves Murtabak) but have never tried the food there.

Edit : I forgot to mention that you can also order Roti Chanai (i.e. Murtabak without the meat fillings) from the breakfast room service menu at the LM. Platinum breakfast options at LM includes room service.

Last edited by mario33; Feb 3, 2008 at 4:55 pm
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
My favorite chilli crab joint in SIN has to be No Sign Board restaurant. An experience in and of it self. Highly recommended and very reasonably priced on top of everything else. About a 15 min cab ride from the Conrad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.