Buying eyeglasses in Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying eyeglasses in Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:13 pm
In memoriam

I was looking at glasses in Tokyo recently and the manager of the store advised me against buying any of the very cool frames on display.

He said that Japanese frames, even if a European or American brand, are made to fit differently due to the different nose and facial spacing of Japanese and would not fit me right.

I wonder if this also applies to Singapore.

By the way, I also have a pair of German framed sunglasses I got in BK. They fit great.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:42 pm

"Eyes @ Work" more expensive than let on here...

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I now routinely buy my eyeglasses in Singapore. I'm particularly fond of a brand from Belgium that I can find in the US, but one store in Singapore has a very good selection and reasonable prices. The store is called "eyes at work," and it's located in Millennia Walk, one of the malls near the Ritz-Carlton. As in the US, prices tagged on frames can be discounted a bit through oral negotiation, especially if you buy multiple sets of frames. They've offered to make the lenses too for an additional $150 USD, which would have taken a day or two. I usually don't have that much time, so I just take 'em to Bangkok and have the lenses made there for closer to $100.

I have had my eyes tested in the US and bring the prescription with me. If you are confident that the prescription on your lenses is accurate, you can just give them to the lensmaker and the prescription can be copied.

I'll be back at eyes at work in a couple of weeks, buying more frames.
The least expensive frames were S$180 and the good ones were S$800 and that's without lenses. I'm trying W optical now.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:47 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SteveCarmich
The least expensive frames were S$180 and the good ones were S$800 and that's without lenses. I'm trying W optical now.
Did you see that this thread is from eight years ago?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Did you see that this thread is from eight years ago?
Someone must work for "W Optical" and was told to go google for Eyeglasses in Singapore...
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I always get my prescription eyewear and sunglasses made in Bali - so if you are looking for a bargain maybe thats an option.

I find the costings to be less than 50% of what I pay in Sydney for the same product
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Yeah, this thread is from eight years ago. There has been inflation in that time, and exchange rates have changed a lot (note that my post reported in USD, not SGD), so that can affect pricing comparisons. That said, for lenses, Eyes @ Work still offers me lenses for about $150 USD.

For shoppers, be sure to ask for final prices. If you walk in and just look at the price tag, that's not the final price. Like frame shops in many countries, they offer discounts, particularly on frames that are from collections a couple of years old.

For those wanting to find Millennia Walk, it sits atop the Promenade MRT station on the Downtown and Circle Lines, which were not in existence when this thread started.

FWIW, Eyes @ Work put me on to a Japanese brand last time. I love them. But when I visited Tokyo afterward, and went to the designer's flagship shop, I found the pricing there considerably better. Exchange rates and tariffs may have had something to do with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.