Best bus between KUL and SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by mario33
http://www.transtar.com.sg/firstclass.php First Class
or
http://airebus.net/features Business Class

"airebus" departure/arrival locations/stations are much better then "transtar" which is a bit dodgy.
-------------------
Has anyone used Transtar in recent years.....I'm thinking of using this from KUL to SIN in January 2016. RSVP appreciated. Thanks. FN
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-------------------
Has anyone used Transtar in recent years.....I'm thinking of using this from KUL to SIN in January 2016. RSVP appreciated. Thanks. FN
May I ask what is the particular reason to use bus?

Bus goes >5 hours, plus you need to clear immigration on both sides either at Woodlands or at Second Link. If you are lucky, it would take no more than 20 min. If you are not so lucky, you might end up stuck there for 2 hours or more. Moreover, one approaching KL you might get stuck into traffic jam and travelling 10 km would take another hour.

Air travel with AirAsia/Jetstar/Tiger/Scoot is a real alternative. If cost is an issue, you can travel from Singapore to Johor via bus and fly from Johor to KL. My last airfare with AirAsia with 15KG checked luggage was $28.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by invisible

Bus goes >5 hours, plus you need to clear immigration on both sides either at Woodlands or at Second Link. If you are lucky, it would take no more than 20 min. If you are not so lucky, you might end up stuck there for 2 hours or more. Moreover, one approaching KL you might get stuck into traffic jam and travelling 10 km would take another hour.

Air travel with AirAsia/Jetstar/Tiger/Scoot is a real alternative. If cost is an issue, you can travel from Singapore to Johor via bus and fly from Johor to KL. My last airfare with AirAsia with 15KG checked luggage was $28.
USD or SGD?
(I was wondering because if the latter, I wonder how they can subsidise your fare considering there is a luggage allowance, buy on board opportunities are limited, and SIN taxes are 34 SGD. Even if it is USD, that is still cheaper than the coach ticket should taxes be removed, assuming this is an all in price.)
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
USD or SGD?
(I was wondering because if the latter, I wonder how they can subsidise your fare considering there is a luggage allowance, buy on board opportunities are limited, and SIN taxes are 34 SGD. Even if it is USD, that is still cheaper than the coach ticket should taxes be removed, assuming this is an all in price.)
SGD. But the flight was from Johor and payment in ringgits.

Flight
1x Guest 27.80 MYR
Airport Tax 9.00 MYR
GST 2.21 MYR
Subtotal 39.01 MYR

Add-ons & Fees
Direct debit processing fee 4.24 MYR
Checked baggage 20kg 31.80 MYR
Subtotal 36.04 MYR

Total amount 75.05 MYR
Total GST 2.21 MYR
Total paid 75.05 MYR
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
USD or SGD?
Passenger-related airport charges in Malaysia are peanuts - and very small peanuts for domestic flights. Aircraft-related charges are very low, too (nice for MH...)

Before LCC made there way into SIN you could generate a very significant saving, even using Malaysian flights to get to domestic destinations via JHB. It was good business for MH, who had a dedicated bus between Singapore and Johor airport.

These days I'm not sure I'd go to the faff just to get to KL: though I will admit to taking advantage of MYR fares from JB on the train to go north. (I have a geeky soft spot for trains ).
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
(I have a geeky soft spot for trains ).
I have explored train options as well and figured out that bus was better option. Which is kinda telling.

So people have to wait 5 more years until HSR between Singapore's Jurong East and KL will be built. But I do doubt that they'll make it in 5 years...
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
So people have to wait 5 more years until HSR between Singapore's Jurong East and KL will be built. But I do doubt that they'll make it in 5 years...
Finance will be the key. There's plenty room for another 5 years' squabbling about who pays for what. Malaysia gently, diplomatically, pointed out in its recent, errr, "misquote" on terminating in JB, that Singapore might consider coughing up more $$ if it wants any significant say in the project.

Singapore has its own concerns at sharing in any way the costs of serving intermediate Malaysian points.

So lots and lots to talk about before tracks start hitting the ground ...
Old May 9, 2017, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by MilesAndMore
Bump:

Landing up at Changi at 2PM and got to get to the Shangri-La Hotel in KL. Would you recommend Jetstar leaving at 1630 or the coach. If so, which one. Thank you in advance. (Am not at all familiar with KL, the traffic and safety late in the night).
Fly jetstar to KL. Take the KLIA express train to KL Sentral and then hop in a cab or UBER or Grab a car/taxi to the Shang.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:03 pm
Suspended

There are two links across to Johor from Singapore. These buses use the 2nd link which is quite fast to clear unlike the old first link which, can be chaotic during peak hours.

Look at it from this perspective:

Flying.

You need to be at the airport at least 2 hours before your international flight (SG to KUL), and then a 1 hour flight into KL. You spend at least RM100-RM150 in economy on Air Asia or Malindo if you are lucky to get this fare or slightly higher above RM200-RM300 if you book last minute. I have seen air fares go up to RM500-800 on certain days (i.e. Sunday/Friday) when people are flying back for work/flying out for a weekend in KL or SG.

Landing and walking to immigration/collecting your bag and clearing customs. Either taking then KLIA express or a taxi into KL. Minimum 1 hour 30 minutes.

Total time spent: 4 hours 30 minutes roughly.

Bus: About on average 5 hours give or take 30 minutes of delays due to immigration clearance and maybe up to an hour if it's peak hours you are getting into KL at.

Total time spent: 5 hours-6 hours for a fraction of the cost it takes to fly with a difference of about an hour or so on average in relative comfort.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
ST did an article a few years ago on comparing options SIN-KL.

As I recall it was a wash (time-wise) between taking the bus and flying for the reasons stated in the above post if you started the journey from the CBD and had luggage. Flying came out ahead in terms of time by 30 minutess city center to city center.

Of course, flying may be easier if you live in the East (Pasir Ris) and taking the bus would be easier if you live in West (Boon Lay). Also you don't need to check-in 2 hours ahead if you don't have luggage etc (45 mins before curbside with BP in hand is OK).
Old May 10, 2017, 7:00 am

If you fly with land luggage only (as I do) and can check in and print boarding pass 2 weeks in advance (with AirAsia) then I think advantages are obvious. You can arrive at the terminal one 1h before departure and go straight to the gate.

Secondly, only 45 min from above mentioned 4h is spent on flight. The rest of the time you move around/use other means of transport. With bus you sit in the same seat for 5 hours.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

The problem is not the bus. Problem is the Singaporean customs. If weekend, may need 2 hours easily to get clearance.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MixalisK.
The problem is not the bus. Problem is the Singaporean customs. If weekend, may need 2 hours easily to get clearance.
The problem is not Singapore Customs. It is what time you opt to board a bus and go across the border. If you went on an early morning bus, chances are you are likely to clear the border (2nd link) pretty fast.

These buses do not use the first link which is jammed packed on any weekend.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:22 am

Singapore customs is the least time delaying in the variables - time to cross the causeway, Malaysian customs, Singapore customs when using the Woodlands crossing. Usually it is Malaysian customs which takes the most time on weekends.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:23 pm

At Singaporean customs i spend 2,5 hours while at the Malaysian customs did it in 40 minutes. I even lost the bus. After customs there was also huge traffic. It was Sunday evening.
Singaporean customs are slow even at the airport. About 40 minutes to stamp 10 passports...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.