Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore has its own microclimate?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Singapore has its own microclimate?

Posting this as a question to get feedback mostly from locals, but if visitors who are well travelled around Singapore could contribute, it would be good too.

Yesterday came back from short Batam/Bintan trip. I've never been in Batam in five years since moving to Singapore and have been to Bintan only once, (see the side note at the end about these).

One thing I notice quite immediately after arriving - how not and biting was sun in both places.

Please note - I've been living in Singapore for five years. I walk from my home to office 3-4 times per week, 45 min one way. I walk 4-5 hours every weekend, mostly at Kent Ridge/Hort/Telok Blangah/Labrador Parks but as well at McRitchie and East Coast Parks. I sleep without aircon. So you get an idea - I am quite well adapted to local climate.

But at Batam/Bintan I could not stay outside for more than 20 min - it was quite uncomfortable. At Bintan Resorts place I took stroll alongside the beach at 7AM, pretty much right after sunrise and when I was coming back 30 min later, it was already hot and sun was biting.

I observed the same phenomenon when going to Johor and strolling around old downtown - it is getting hot quite quickly and need to find a mall/cafe to cool down.

So the question is - does Singapore has its own microclimate or something else plays role here?

P.S. Side note - if anybody asks - I would not recommend going to Batam/Bintan except for specific purpose to go to non-touristy Indonesia with photo/selfie taken 'I've been there and planted a flag'. And two days are enough to see both islands and get out.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:01 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I have lived her almost all my life and the same strikes me too.
Have you been to Malacca? It's worse than JB.

I honestly think it has something to do with the greenery - I can't see any other reason why. Can't be the water - as that is in abundance in Batam/Bintan as well as Malacca - can't be the build up - as Batam/Bintan don't have much high rise....
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Have you been to Malacca? It's worse than JB.
Been there three times and going again this weekend. You are correct - life there begins after 7PM.

I honestly think it has something to do with the greenery - I can't see any other reason why. Can't be the water - as that is in abundance in Batam/Bintan as well as Malacca - can't be the build up - as Batam/Bintan don't have much high rise....
Agree with greenery assessment - seems green areas do block/reduce heat. And while there are bunch of high rise buildings at CBD which might block sunlight, it would imply that at other places temp should be higher, but no - at East Coast Park, Geylang or Changi Village you have the same stuff.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:11 am
Suspended

Plants add to atmospheric humidity by transpiration:

http://tropicalrainforesthboone.weeb...formation.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpiration
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
in the old days of LKY, he had explored the idea of encasing Singapore with an inverted glass bowl and thus he will be able to control the weather....
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kapitan
in the old days of LKY, he had explored the idea of encasing Singapore with an inverted glass bowl and thus he will be able to control the weather....
Any historical document supporting this?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:36 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by invisible
Any historical document supporting this?
These type of things are written in stone and you don't question them!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:03 am
Original Poster

These type of things are written in stone and you don't question them!
Well, I am an engineer, questioning things and why they are done particular way is my job.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: most of them
I've spent a good bit of time in SE Asia over the last decade or so. For my money no place I've ever been has felt as humid as Singapore. So even on a cloudy day I am drenched in no time when I go out and about. It is really stifling. So if you're saying those other places are even more uncomfortable I don't think I want to go there. :-)
Old Jan 22, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I've spent a good bit of time in SE Asia
'Spent time' != 'living'. I felt the same way when moved here 5 years ago but after 6 month I got adjusted.

I just returned from Malacca today. Despite the fact that it was mostly overcast last two days there, when sun was shining, it felt hotter there.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:50 pm

As a local, I've always thought that the greenery is the reason for the cooler weather. For the average Singaporean resident, we're basically hopping from one air-conditioned place to another (or using underpasses), or walking under canopy at the parks, so the heat does not seem to be as bad.

I agree that parts of Indonesia and Malaysia feel hotter, but it could be because I'm there as a tourist so I tend to be out and about more than when I'm back home.

Currently it is a bit cooler here in Singapore (23 degree C haha), and people are breaking out their jackets already.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:49 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In Singapore, at any given time are there more folks inside (i.e. somewhere with the a/c cranked) or outside?

Odd things one might think about when on a long layover...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:20 am

My mum says the reason why I always get a headache in JB from the heat is because there are not enough trees in Malaysia.

I believe her because (1) She's my mum, (2) She grew up in Malaysia before getting married and converting her citizenship.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
My mum says the reason why I always get a headache in JB from the heat is because there are not enough trees in Malaysia.

I believe her because (1) She's my mum, (2) She grew up in Malaysia before getting married and converting her citizenship.
Malaysia as a country definitely has more trees than Singapore. I am sure we are not going to argue on that.

Johor as a city definitely has less trees than Singapore. This is also obvious for anyone who spent some time in Johor.

BTW, surprisingly, Kuantan is way greener place than Johor, KL or Melaka.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:25 pm

you have adapted very well. when in singapore i limit outdoor walking to 30 mins at a time. very hot most days. will compare with penang when i visit next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.