Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance for Rewards Miles/Points Trips

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Travel Insurance for Rewards Miles/Points Trips

Hello,

I'm looking to see if there are any Singapore based credit cards that include travel insurance for rewards travel (ie trips where miles/points where redeemed) and the associated taxes were paid on said card.

If anyone has any advice, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Q
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Hello,

I'm looking to see if there are any Singapore based credit cards that include travel insurance for rewards travel (ie trips where miles/points where redeemed) and the associated taxes were paid on said card.

If anyone has any advice, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Q
Unless you have AMEX Centurion, good luck getting even ordinary travel insurance with them.

Let me guess - you are not local, right?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Unless you have AMEX Centurion, good luck getting even ordinary travel insurance with them.

Let me guess - you are not local, right?
I'm Canadian and have never had issues with CC insurance for delayed baggage or flight delays on two different CCs I had issues in Canada (RBC and TD). Have you had bad experiences here in Singapore with Singapore issued cards? What banks were they from? What issues did you have?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:35 am

I'm Canadian and have never had issues with CC insurance for delayed baggage or flight delays on two different CCs I had issues in Canada (RBC and TD). Have you had bad experiences here in Singapore with Singapore issued cards? What banks were they from? What issues did you have?
To save you from a lot of wasted efforts and set expectations correctly - forget about travel insurance offered by credit cards in Singapore. They are pretty much of non-existent.

Normal practice here is buy travel insurance per trip or annually.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:43 am
Original Poster

To save you from a lot of wasted efforts and set expectations correctly - forget about travel insurance offered by credit cards in Singapore. They are pretty much of non-existent.

Normal practice here is buy travel insurance per trip or annually.
So all the legal contracts, they're just ignored?

Also, you have no specific incidents to explain your point of view?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:04 pm

So all the legal contracts, they're just ignored?

Also, you have no specific incidents to explain your point of view?
Could you explain what you mean?

What I am trying to say that the type of travel insurance which comes with well-known US/Canada cards (Chase, Citi, etc) is not offered by majority of Singapore issued credit cards.

One of most popular cards - DBS Altitude for example most you can get is $5000 in case of death of the card owner, no travel delay/cancellation insurance whatsoever. Take it or leave it.

On those cards which travel insurance is offered, for example ANZ Travel Card and Citi PremirMiles card there are so many exclosions that relying on card provided insurance would be foolish, IMHO. For example neither of above cards cover cancellations by carriers and max they pay is $500/$1000.

That's why I said - if you want normal travel insurance, you need to buy it separately, and if you want it to cover exotic cases - like reward tickets, you'd better shop for it in Canada, you won't get much here.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Could you explain what you mean?

What I am trying to say that the type of travel insurance which comes with well-known US/Canada cards (Chase, Citi, etc) is not offered by majority of Singapore issued credit cards.

One of most popular cards - DBS Altitude for example most you can get is $5000 in case of death of the card owner, no travel delay/cancellation insurance whatsoever. Take it or leave it.

On those cards which travel insurance is offered, for example ANZ Travel Card and Citi PremirMiles card there are so many exclosions that relying on card provided insurance would be foolish, IMHO. For example neither of above cards cover cancellations by carriers and max they pay is $500/$1000.

That's why I said - if you want normal travel insurance, you need to buy it separately, and if you want it to cover exotic cases - like reward tickets, you'd better shop for it in Canada, you won't get much here.
Thanks for finally posting a useful post. ^
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:49 am
Suspended

Thanks for finally posting a useful post. ^
I thought their 2nd post (#4) was very useful.And at least to me meant those kind of CCs that we have here in US/CAN benefit wise simply dont exist in SIN, so if thats what I wanted in a CC then I would have to look elsewhere and not a SIN issued CC
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I thought their 2nd post (#4) was very useful.And at least to me meant those kind of CCs that we have here in US/CAN benefit wise simply dont exist in SIN, so if thats what I wanted in a CC then I would have to look elsewhere and not a SIN issued CC
Seeing as I already have a CC with travel insurance it sure didn't jive with my experiences so far. Looking forward to using the insurance one day and reviving this thread
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:19 am

Seeing as I already have a CC with travel insurance it sure didn't jive with my experiences so far. Looking forward to using the insurance one day and reviving this thread
If you are going to be based in Singapore and payed in SGD locally, trust me, quite soon you will have to switch on local cards and then travel insurance and consumer protection issues might arise seriously.

While there is some option to mitigate travel insurance with separate policies, there is really nothing you can do with consumer protection with credit card purchases. And if you and to avoid problem/issues, better to use your US/CA card but make sure first that overseas purchases are covered.

Last edited by invisible; Dec 8, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:35 am
Original Poster

If you are going to be based in Singapore and payed in SGD locally, trust me, quite soon you will have to switch on local cards and then travel insurance and consumer protection issues might arise seriously.

While there is some option to mitigate travel insurance with separate policies, there is really nothing you can do with consumer protection with credit card purchases. And if you and to avoid problem/issues, better to use your US/CA card but make sure first that overseas purchases are covered.
I've already gotten Singapore cards and cancelled my North American cards. What consumer protection issues are you foreshadowing?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I've already gotten Singapore cards and cancelled my North American cards. What consumer protection issues are you foreshadowing?
Keeping a Canadian or US credit card active might not be a bad idea if residency there in the future is contemplated. I find there are also benefits of CC that are region specific.

I still have a Canadian, US and UK credit cards that I keep active as well as HSBC premier intl account.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:00 am

What consumer protection issues are you foreshadowing?
For example, for fraud charges on card you have to prove that it was not you who did charges.

Purchase protection, warranty extension and similar benefits are non existent. You went to Sim Lim Square, bought a phone for $400 with a card, phone ended up being dead/fake/etc, if seller refuses to replace/refund, your only recourse is to go to small claims court.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:41 am
Original Poster

For example, for fraud charges on card you have to prove that it was not you who did charges.

Purchase protection, warranty extension and similar benefits are non existent. You went to Sim Lim Square, bought a phone for $400 with a card, phone ended up being dead/fake/etc, if seller refuses to replace/refund, your only recourse is to go to small claims court.
I had fraudulent charges to my card already. They refunded them without request for documentation/proof on my part. Maybe you just use an awful bank. My card was issued by ANZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.