Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ideal of racial harmony

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:38 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GUWonder
One built on facts that racism is alive in Brazil too.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...one-by-reality

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/24/op...azil.html?_r=0

Racism isn't dead in Singapore either, but authoritarian regimes have a way of having racism (a politicized approach to groups of people) pushed underground -- for fear of its public expression fostering "strife" and giving rise to other centers of power. All in the interest of regime preservation.
I do not think we disagree here. Please re-read what I said in terms of Brazil comparing to US.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I don't think true racial harmony exists anywhere; at least not in the countries I've been a resident of in the past. Singapore is probably better described as racial tolerance. My opinion, anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by shuigao
I don't think true racial harmony exists anywhere; at least not in the countries I've been a resident of in the past. Singapore is probably better described as racial tolerance. My opinion, anyway.
In agreement here.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Perfect racial harmony exists nowhere because perfect human harmony exists nowhere. People always fight about things, whether directly through a war or indirectly through prejudice/'sticking together with my own people'/ etc.

Yet I am pretty damn sure that massive racial issues such as in the US are certainly not the norm in most of the world. Thankfully.

Yes we have issues in western europe too. But they are not comparable to racial issues and ways of thinking about race in the US, where everyone is divided into what I would call 'boxes'. You are Black, White, Mixed, Hispanic or Asian in the US. This is just simply Not Such An Issue here in Europe and there are many places in the world where it is even much less of an issue than here in Europe (I think Brazil was a good example).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.