Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, QF G, NZ*GE, BA Silver
Transit hotel - different carriers - baggage

Hi there

I am Flying Jakarta - Singapore - Ho Chi Minh

Arriving 10.30pm on Garuda
Dep 7am Jetstar.

I was hoping to stay at a transit hotel on arrival but then remembered I have to collect my check in bag. And then i guess i would be stranded landside until JQ check in opens. Is there any alternate other than leaving my baggage on the belt to become "unclaimed"? Am tempted to pack ruthlessly and only take carry on.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by timb777
Hi there

I am Flying Jakarta - Singapore - Ho Chi Minh

Arriving 10.30pm on Garuda
Dep 7am Jetstar.

I was hoping to stay at a transit hotel on arrival but then remembered I have to collect my check in bag. And then i guess i would be stranded landside until JQ check in opens. Is there any alternate other than leaving my baggage on the belt to become "unclaimed"? Am tempted to pack ruthlessly and only take carry on.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Carry on and stay airside, or use The Haven land-side in T3 (in Arrivals, lower level). Keep in mind the landside transit overnight is very slow, buses circulating among the terminals.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by timb777
Am tempted to pack ruthlessly and only take carry on.
/moralizing on
If it will save you from the major inconvenience - do it. Even my wife learned how to pack with carry on only when going on two weeks trip in the region.
/moralizing off

If you still decide to go with checked luggage, then... you can collect it go to the city to stay at a cheap hotel for several hours. Assuming that you can do it before 11PM, you can take MRT for a hotel in CBD area. But better would be to get a taxi and stay at hotels near Joo Chiat road which is closer to the airport.

BTW, you are aware of AirAsia charges for checked luggage and price at check in counter is more expensive than when booking, right?

So you are going to have following expenses:

1. Checked luggage: min $15 for AirAsia (15kg) + taxi to/from hotel - $25 + hotel - $75-$85. Total - $115-$125, sleep time - 5 hours.

2. Carry on only: $90 for transit hotel for sleep/stay time - 6h and $20 for one more hour.

Your call to decide.

P.S. To me - staying inside airport for several hours is way too boring. But it is just me.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, QF G, NZ*GE, BA Silver
Thanks for the tips!

I'm travelling on a business trip, so may have a small bag. I've decided to book with Jetstar all the way instead (Jakarta-Singapore-Ho Chi Minh).

I arrive in Singapore at 1am and depart 7am - I think i'll just relax on an airport lounger for the few hours in between. Presumably Jetstar will be able to check my bag all the way through to Ho Chi Minh despite the 6 hour layover time? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Seems it is too late already... But do you have an experience dealing with Jetstar and particularly - Jetstar flying to/from Vietnam?

I had a flight scheduled with them - Singapore->Ho Chi Minh->Haphong. All in one itinerary. So they moved HMC-Haiphong leg before the departure of Singapore-HMC leg without notifying me.

I accidently discovered this when I logged on about a week before the departure of the flight. And after calling them, I had to prove them that it was not me who made changes.

At the end they told me that they will issue refund in vouchers and they could not accommodate me in the originally booked flights. When I asked to speak with supervisor, I was told that nobody is available and hanged up. Had to purchase new ticket with Vietnam Airlines and I am stuck with their vouchers.

So... you've been warned.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:24 pm

Similar question. I am flying in on Delta to T1 at midnight and leaving at 7:30 on a AirAsia to KUL from T1. If I have checked luggage can I just leave it at customs for 5 hours while I take a nap then pick it up or am I asking to be hassled by customs or have my bag lost?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Arzakon
Similar question. I am flying in on Delta to T1 at midnight and leaving at 7:30 on a AirAsia to KUL from T1. If I have checked luggage can I just leave it at customs for 5 hours while I take a nap then pick it up or am I asking to be hassled by customs or have my bag lost?
Late answer to your question but I did this several years ago based on forum information here. When you eventually head to baggage claim your bag will be locked in the "lost luggage" area. You show your baggage claim receipt, they'll look it up on their computer, locate the bag in their storage area, and give it to you. Sure, this is a bit more hassle than simply claiming it off the belt and you might lose some sleep wondering of your bag is going to be waiting for you, but I think the process is fairly routine, the staff have done this before, and it works fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.