Wiki Posts
Search

Renting wifi device or prepaid SIM card

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, HH
Renting wifi device or prepaid SIM card

I'll be travelling around SEA for a month and want to have data access. I'm trying to figure out whether renting a wifi device (like in Japan) is the best option in Singapore with my US mobile or if I should use my GSM international phone and get a SIM card.

Is there a company that's best for either of these? And does anyone know the cost on a per MB or unlimited basis.

Thanks!
Old May 22, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, National Executive, SPG Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
I'm a fan of the Singtel Tourist SIM, which can be picked up in the airport.
http://info.singtel.com/personal/pho...ouristsimcards
Old May 23, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
The advantage of a SIM card is you will be able to send local SMS. Very helpful to get a taxi during busy periods, from more remote locales, or during a rainstorm.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by adubin
I'll be travelling around SEA for a month and want to have data access. I'm trying to figure out whether renting a wifi device (like in Japan) is the best option in Singapore with my US mobile or if I should use my GSM international phone and get a SIM card.
Latter. Both at Starhub and Singtel you can get local SIM card with add-on data ($18 + $25 for Starhub Happy stars with 400MB of data for one month) or you can get dedicated data only SIM card with 1GB data for one month.

For Japan I suggest to get Japan Travel SIM card.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:00 am

Programs: KF, AC, SPG
Definitely get the SIM. You don't want to the the forever looking for wifi guy that inconveniences everyone as they only can use data apps.

Getting a SIM is easy. Get the base SIM and load it with a small amount - $20 - buy a data plan 1GB for a week is more than plenty and you are good to go.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Have been using a Singtel Prepaid SIM here in SIN and have been pleased with it. Just remember that if you are going to get a Prepaid SIM that you must present your passport where you purchase it whether from the mobile service providers (Singtel, M1, Starhub) or any of the convenience stores that sell them (7-11/Cheers).

For Singtel, you can get 1GB of data for 7 days for 7 SGD ($5 USD).
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:40 am

If you are travelling around SE Asia and using a smart phone, you might as well just get a local SIM. You can still retain all your home settings (i.e. WhatsApp number stays the same) and you get the benefit of local calls and texts.
If you are using taxis in Singapore, don't bother texting, you might as well use GrabTaxi (and the grab economy function - which is unofficial taxis) or Uber

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.